• 1 Post By 1985 CCX
  • 1 Post By CompClassics
  • 1 Post By DanEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HiTech, Shelby Daytona Coupe, Roush 427SR
Send a message via AIM to ItalGerBrit Send a message via MSN to ItalGerBrit Send a message via Yahoo to ItalGerBrit
Not Ranked     
Default DIY Shelby Cobra/Coupe Roller Finish

Anyone else out there crazy enough to finish their own car? I am very close to cranking my Roush 427SR/T 56 Coupe and would enjoy sharing the experience of installing the engine/trans. I was told that virtually no one finishes their own HiTech(Superformance) builds and I now know why. Not what I expected and not anywhere near plug and play.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I dunno, I did 2 BDRs. While the first was not as plug and play as I thought it would be, I learned a lot and the second was a breeze.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the "Kit Car " world. One has to be a fabricator to bild one of these. Currently I have mine stripped right down for repaint ,change from RHD to LHD and then rebuild the motor, suspension already rebuilt. Originally built by me in 1989 this has been the most fun that I have.
Looking forward to another 28 yrs of ownership.
We are making a mold if anyone is interested. The finished car will be on the road soon.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I was able to build my Lone Star myself and it was a very rewarding experience But, I'm a professional autobody man and a good mechanic. To others that don't have the skill or tools, having someone that is experienced is a must. Installing a big block in a Cobra is very tight, so extra time and care is also needed. Putting in a small block is much easier.

In both situations, the opening of our engine bay and the nose length is long, so if you can position engine hoist on the side of the car, not from the front of the car s best.
I installed a hoist in the ceiling of my garage, and that made installing and removing the engine great.

Buying a engine leveler is another tool that makes tilting into small cramped engine bays very helpful. Just don't buy a cheaply made one.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here's a video of an install, the body is off, but it shows how to tilt the engine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L46MJmvJQv0
Jaydee likes this.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-27-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Old 06-27-2017, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

It can be done by someone with basic mechanical skills, but you have to think things through and be prepared to make alterations or adjustments as needed.

It is a little more than just plug and play, but I am completing my Superformance (Hitech) build this week to beginning of next week. Make sure you have a good lift and an engine leveler.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I did mine totally from scratch, would not advise it for the weak willed....
Attached Images

CompClassics likes this.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HiTech, Shelby Daytona Coupe, Roush 427SR
Send a message via AIM to ItalGerBrit Send a message via MSN to ItalGerBrit Send a message via Yahoo to ItalGerBrit
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the responses. Nice to know that there are other crazy people. I stabbed my 427SR with trans installed as well as the side pipes. Not more than 3/4 clearance anywhere going in and super tricky to get it in despite car being on two post lift, engine tilt and engine hoist. But, that was the easy part as far as figuring out where brackets went, sourcing bolts, elec connectors, adaptors for fuel, oil, steering gear lines, etc. Do not know about other manufacturers but the Hillbank(Superformance) roller came with the car and a big box of parts. Nothing else. The Roush engine and tremec trans did have a few sheets of paper with them. Part of the reason for this post is to help others that might want to finish their own car. I would have built my coupe from scratch but did not want to spend years doing that so I cheated. I bought the roller and the quality of the HiTech roller is fantastic. So, if anyone has questions, I just finished and can help.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I'm installing a Coyote into a BDR. It' far from plug and play. It's a dang Nightmare! Not sure I'm ever going to get this thing done!
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

I built mine, I did not paint it though.....
Attached Images

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:20 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowan Replicars, 352 4V
Not Ranked     

I'm building my Cobra, I purchased it as a roller with the motor installed, it was basically a body on a frame and wheels with a motor. I am about 90% finished, the car needs body and paint plus I am working on a hot 390 that will be eventually installed.

It has taken me almost three years and I have basically fabricated every part including swapping out the rear end from a Ford 8" to a Jaguar POSI.

Let’s put it this way, I often go into my garage and am truly amazed how I got this thing build, I can’t even sum up the number of hours and brain burn figuring things out. Even being very mechanically capable including fabrication, body and electrical work, I am still truly amazed.

Not for the faint of heart!!!

Rowan Replicars 1965 Cobra Replica
352 4V, T5, Jaguar Posi rear end with 3.30 gears.
https://www.facebook.com/pormgb/
Old 06-30-2017, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DB427SC. 289FIA. COUPE. Round tube, Aluminium body, 427FE
Not Ranked     

My definition of a Kit Car:-
A collection of parts that almost fit together.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I guess I count as crazy.

xb-60 likes this.