Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Suspension setup/Tyres. What have you got?

I just want to get an idea of what a good road setup is so I can start changing things.

If you know some of your numbers it would be great to hear them.

Front Tyre Width:
Rear Tyre Width:
Camber:
Toe (in/out):
Caster:
Front Spring Rate:
Rear Spring Rate:
Old 12-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-a-number View Post
I just want to get an idea of what a good road setup is so I can start changing things.

If you know some of your numbers it would be great to hear them.

Front Tyre Width:
Rear Tyre Width:
Camber:
Toe (in/out):
Caster:
Front Spring Rate:
Rear Spring Rate:
What chassis? What suspension? That will make a huge difference in the settings. What works on an original design big-block chassis, doesn't on a transverse leaf spring system. More data is required for hal9000 to evaluate.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-12-2017, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is a fair call. 2007 Shell Valley (I dont know much about it with regards to Mk etc)

I just want a range to see what is common for the road. Mainly for tyre width because its a bit expensive to play around with that.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Avon...expensive but they work and fit.

Mark.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

I’m liking the Cooper Cobras (same as Mickey Thompson S/T).
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
I’m liking the Cooper Cobras (same as Mickey Thompson S/T).
What sizes do you have?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Commonly run is 245 or 255/60x15 front and 295/50x15 rear.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-14-2017, 06:44 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

As I'm building a 427 street car, I went with Rocket Racing Sunbrust 15X8 with the 3/4 inch offset rear's. And Mickey Thomason ST as they have a little softer compound then the Cooper Cobra's 440 to Mickey's 400. The sizes are 235-60-15 front 275-60-15 rear's for the correct height and width (Profile) of a 427 street Cobra. Just my $.02
Old 12-14-2017, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-a-number View Post
What sizes do you have?
275/60-R15 on the rear, 255/60-R15 on the front.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
As I'm building a 427 street car, I went with Rocket Racing Sunbrust 15X8 with the 3/4 inch offset rear's. And Mickey Thomason ST as they have a little softer compound then the Cooper Cobra's 440 to Mickey's 400. The sizes are 235-60-15 front 275-60-15 rear's for the correct height and width (Profile) of a 427 street Cobra. Just my $.02
Andy,
Are you sure you have the S/Ts? I called Cooper (maker of Mickey Thompson and Cooper Cobra and Avon) a few months ago before I bought my Cobras, as I was reading conflicting things about the two tires. They told me the compound and wear rating is the same for the Thompson Sportsman S/T and Cooper Cobra. The speed rating is also the same on the two tires. The only difference is the MTs are more expensive, and they have a different sidewall design. Either would be a great street tire based on my experience with the Cobras.

The Mickey Thompson S/R (flame tread) has a softer compound, but reports I've read say the Cobras actually handle and grip better, but I'm not sure about that.

The Mickey Thompson drag radials are a whole different story--much closer to Avons with softer compound, although I wouldn't want to run them on a street car.
Evan
Pete Munroe, 66gtk and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 12-14-2017 at 07:28 AM..
Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

I have the Mickey Thompson S/R tires on my ERA 427. The fronts are 26X10X15 and the rears are 26X12X15. So far (500+ miles) I like them. Good ride and sticky. Wheel spin has not really been a problem so far (580 fwhp/660 fwtq), and it seems you would have to trying hard to get them to spin.

The only issue was than when they were brand new, they stained my UCoatIt gloss coat on the floor of the garage. Maybe any tire would have done it, though. Now that they have some miles on them they don't leave any stains.
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:19 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

@ ACHipo, Evan, I also did my homework when it came to tires. My biggest concern was look's (profile) as to stickiness (mainly a street car ) maybe a auto-x or two. The Avon's, MT SR's and such were not to my likely as I was building a street car, and everybody run's TA's or Cooper's, I wanted something different. I brought my MT from Proformance Tire in Cal. they went and looked at the set I brought and rating was 400. I have a few hot-rodder buddies and they like the MT St ride, and they smoke-up pretty good too The other reason (size) very few company's build the 235-275 60 15. Just a head's up I'm Tom not Andy
Old 12-15-2017, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I use both the Coopers and the Mickey Thompson STs. When I researched it they were identical in every spec. They both perform the same for me on the street when fresh and I recommend either of them. The Coopers cost less and they have more local suppliers. I was told by my tire guy that Summit is pretty much the only warehouse for the MTs, which is what also keeps the price up a bit. Not sure how true that is, though. I prefer the less busy sidewall of the MTs.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Something to think about also is how much tire pressure can change the handling of the car. Also weight. I put Avon tires on Halibrand magnesium wheels because Avons are heaver than goodyear billboards. Put goodyear billboards on aluminum wheels to try to get weight close so corner setup doesn't change. If pressure in Avons is change 2 to 3 pounds higher the car is all over the road. I'm sure each car is different and this is just meant to help. Once your car is set up right it will be easier to drive and control I'm fortunate to have former nascar crew chief as resource because sometimes I'm not the sharpest stick in the woods.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

Mickey Thompson ST was my choice. Soft enough for good grip but not so soft
that they throw rocks. Simple black side wall with minimum graphics. Same
basic profile as the billboards. 295/50-15 and 235/60-15 from Summit for
$586.38 delivered. Spent $156 for mount and balance for a total $742.38.
"Normal" looking tread design and a nice ride with 26psi rear / 28psi front. A
tire bargin I think.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
@ ACHipo, Evan, I also did my homework when it came to tires. My biggest concern was look's (profile) as to stickiness (mainly a street car ) maybe a auto-x or two. The Avon's, MT SR's and such were not to my likely as I was building a street car, and everybody run's TA's or Cooper's, I wanted something different. I brought my MT from Proformance Tire in Cal. they went and looked at the set I brought and rating was 400. I have a few hot-rodder buddies and they like the MT St ride, and they smoke-up pretty good too The other reason (size) very few company's build the 235-275 60 15. Just a head's up I'm Tom not Andy
Sorry I got your name wrong Tom!

Sounds like our paths were similar. I found the whole process very confusing. I do like the MT sidewalls a little better than the Cobras. I like the Cooper price (~$500 for 4 mounted and road-force balanced) and availability better, though.

Evan
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 12-15-2017 at 04:05 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 06:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

No problem Evan, I too believe our paths are spot on. I have dealt with Proformance Tire with quite a few tire, wheel buy's, great people to deal with, have gone above the call of duty to make sure the purchase is exactly what you ordered. In fact they were one tire short on this (MT) order, and went to Summit in NV to ship me one of theirs. If I remember correctly they were just a couple dollars more then the Cooper prices, and they ship overnight for free to Wa. let me know what you end up with, and I'll tell how well these hold-up. Mine weigh's 2340, with 527 at the flywheel. Sound like yours is right around there too?? Tom.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No problem Evan, I too believe our paths are spot on. I have dealt with Proformance Tire with quite a few tire, wheel buy's, great people to deal with, have gone above the call of duty to make sure the purchase is exactly what you ordered. In fact they were one tire short on this (MT) order, and went to Summit in NV to ship me one of theirs. If I remember correctly they were just a couple dollars more then the Cooper prices, and they ship overnight for free to Wa. let me know what you end up with, and I'll tell how well these hold-up. Mine weigh's 2340, with 527 at the flywheel. Sound like yours is right around there too?? Tom.
Tom,
I think ERAs are a bit heavier. I've seen numbers all over the place, but I think something around 2800 lbs is about right, so 3000 with me and gas

My mild 482 should generate about 500 HP and >550 lb-ft on the dyno. With restrictive intake (no scoop) and under car exhaust, I'm hoping for ~300 HP at the rear wheels.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread on tires and suspension

Sorry N-a-N!
Evan
Old 12-16-2017, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Tom,
I think ERAs are a bit heavier. I've seen numbers all over the place, but I think something around 2800 lbs is about right, so 3000 with me and gas
My ERA 427 with aluminum 482 weighed 2460 with a full tank, no driver, on certified scales.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Backdraft with 351W. Dry Weight 2,502.

Front Tire Width: 315/30/18
Rear Tire Width: 335/30/18
Camber: -2.7F -2.2R
Toe (in/out): 1/8 Out F, 1/16 Out R
Caster: Don't recall, as much as was possible
Front Spring Rate: 375lbs
Rear Spring Rate: 700lbs

It isn't how fast your car can go
It is how fast your car can change direction

Home of Fake Snake Racing

Last edited by Grey 65; 12-16-2017 at 09:53 AM..