Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Best non-authentic changes for your Cobra? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/139823-best-non-authentic-changes-your-cobra.html)

Snake2998 12-20-2017 11:04 PM

Best non-authentic changes for your Cobra?

Mine is high backed "racing" seats - adds hugely to reducing wind buffeting at speed and hence comfort on a long drive. Have kept my "retro" seats for if I ever sell the car.

750hp 12-21-2017 02:06 AM

5 speed trans, because doing 3000+rpm at highway cruising speed is just not necessary any more.

Ron61 12-21-2017 05:30 AM

Changing the exhaust pipes to larger more free flowing ones. I gained almost 30 horsepower over the stock ones.

Ron

joyridin' 12-21-2017 05:50 AM

It is not in the car yet, but soon to be installed electric power steering. Cheap, fast, and nothing to carve up.

lovehamr 12-21-2017 06:00 AM

In the order of "makingitbetterformeness"

#1 5 speed overdrive, TKO600RR. Doing the same to my Boss302 now.
#2 Fuel injection, took me a while to get it dialed in but once I had it I'd never go back.
#3 Power steering, just make sure it's not over boosted and it's awesome.

Karl Bebout 12-21-2017 06:20 AM

The 600hp, 496 CHEVY engine, in my first Cobra replica.

olddog 12-21-2017 08:23 AM

Personally, I would limit my list to things that make it safer, which would include handle better. Creature comforts is Ok if you can put it back to original. This is assuming we are talking about people who are interested in originality.

No offense, but if you desire a Chevy engine, originality is not on your list, so why not do anything anywhere on the car? Feel free to do anything you want.

ACHiPo 12-21-2017 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mirrors mounted on the wind wings. They work great, and greatly increase my confidence driving in traffic.
STORE

DanEC 12-21-2017 10:36 AM

My ERA - it's a replica - virtually everything is non-authentic when you get down to it. But I know the urethane paint sure beats the crappy old lacquer they used to use. :)

pormgb 12-21-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1434872)
My ERA - it's a replica - virtually everything is non-authentic when you get down to it. But I know the urethane paint sure beats the crappy old lacquer they used to use. :)

I just painted (DIY) my car with single stage urethane and three coats of clear, I didn't intend to clear the urethane but it came out awesome. Since the car is not authentic, I added a ton of modern mods to make it handle better and more reliable.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/IMG_4185.jpg

PHMCobra 12-21-2017 03:41 PM

For added comfort and street performance, my Backdraft Cobra has extra legroom and a 6-speed Tremec (T56) tranny. Also, the car is sterling grey and hides the dirt/dust so much better than my previous Backdraft Cobra that was black.

undy 12-22-2017 03:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Accusump... It allows me to pressurize the oil system upon startup after the car sat for 6 months. It helps protect my Pond blocked 482" sideoiler!

MOTORHEAD 12-22-2017 06:22 AM

The Ford "Taurus" fan/shroud . No more o'heating while stopped at intersections in Fl heat !

dallas_ 12-22-2017 11:16 AM

In addition to several already mentioned here, my tilt front has been one of my most practical modifications since it makes ease of access so much better.

Although technically I guess it could be considered 'original' since CSX 2196 had a tilt front.

Shootnride 12-22-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyridin' (Post 1434859)
It is not in the car yet, but soon to be installed electric power steering. Cheap, fast, and nothing to carve up.

Would love to see you do a build/project thread on the forum when you do this.

Ted

undy 12-22-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD (Post 1434909)
The Ford "Taurus" fan/shroud . No more o'heating while stopped at intersections in Fl heat !

That was one of my favorite mods too. To my knowledge, there's no aftermarket fan that'll move as much air as that will. The Lincoln MarkVII's fan will even move more (if you've the room for it)!

TexasSnake 12-22-2017 03:16 PM

17 inch wheels so you have many more performance tire options.

dallas_ 12-22-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasSnake (Post 1434925)
17 inch wheels so you have many more performance tire options.

And much better brakes.

Grubby 12-23-2017 08:08 AM

Heated seats and power source to charge my phone or GPS. Both make a Cobra much better for long road trips.

John

tortuga 12-23-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHiPo (Post 1434870)
Mirrors mounted on the wind wings. They work great, and greatly increase my confidence driving in traffic.
STORE

AMEN to that! It's really really nice to actually have functioning rear view mirrors!