Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     
Default CSX 3278 Barn Find - Up for Auction

In 1991, a South North Carolina sports car enthusiast parked five cars – including a 19,000-mile 1967 Shelby 427 Cobra and a 13,000-mile 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Long Nose alloy-bodied coupe – in his newly constructed garage. Then, he walked away, leaving his cars unattended – and the attached house unoccupied – for the next 26 years. With the property now condemned by the municipality, the Cobra and its stablemate Ferrari are set to cross the auction block on Friday, March 9, part of the Gooding & Company Amelia Island sale.

More at https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/0...heds-its-cage/

Last edited by cycleguy55; 02-12-2018 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Added links to photos
Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Barn Find Hunter video: https://youtu.be/wlRKSmHgzdE
Old 02-12-2018, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I'd love to hear the rest of the story. new home, new garage filled with rare cars...why would you walk away and not come back?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

I think I would take the Ferarri....
Old 02-13-2018, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

It will be interesting to see what it goes for. The 428 vs. 427 probably will not make a huge difference. The damage from years worth of mouse nests is what may impact the sale price. Dents, paint and mechanical repairs are more easily accomplished than to remove the smell of years wroth of imbedded mouse urine. I have to imagine that the nests will be removed prior to the auction, and some attempt made at diminishing the smell.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:13 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Add value to your auction car:

NEW BARN FIND KIT

Add thousands to your classic cars value! Sometimes when your selling a car you need to put in some elbow grease and really present it in the best way to attract buyers and capitalize on your investment.

This amazing product is guaranteed to work on all makes and models. (*note offer not valid for JD Camira, 1st Generation Hyundai Excel, Saab 9000 turbo and AU series 1 Falcon Forte, face it your not getting your money back when you sell any of those).

Put that bucket and sponge away, what we have here is your ticket to financial freedom.

Introducing the "Barn Find Kit" (Trademark 2016 in Venezuela)

The kit includes:
1x 20kg bag of authentic outback red dust

2x cans of spray adhesive

1x Jar of mixed spiders (note actual content may vary from photos.
Each kit should contain at least 4 daddy long legs and 2 red backs, however due to combined postage we can not guarantee that some spiders may eat each other in transit. We do provide a light meal of flys and moths for their journey).

1x Live rat (pre-starved for 3 days prior to postage, this helps to ensure he chops into your seat foam and wiring as soon as he is released into the vehicle).

5x used shotgun shells

1x 30ml bottle of liquid pigeon manure

1x 50ml water bottle with drip nozzle.

1x tyre puncture kit (ok so it's a 3" nail but it does the job)

1x qty of used spark plug leads (note colours may vary from photos and are not guaranteed to fit all models without the use of cable ties or electrical tape).

Here is our step by step guide on putting this unique kit to work:

Step 1) Park your classic car in a garage, shed or if your lucky enough to find one in Australia an actual barn.

Step 2) Swap spark plug leads with those supplied.

Step 3) Apply spray adhesive to underside of car, suspension, brakes, engine bay and door jams. Within 10 mins of application throw liberal handfuls of red dust into these areas where it should stick instantly giving that 10 years of farm driving look.

Step 4) Release spiders inside car, engine bay, diff and rear exhaust hangers (assuming enough survived the postage to be evenly spread around the car).

Step 5) Scatter shot gun shells around passenger floor, console around shifter and parcel shelf.

Step 6) Add random bric-a-brac to boot of car (note these items are not supplied in this kit, but packs are available at extra cost). Some ideas would be a greasy towel, one muddy gumboot, a rusty bottle jack, some rusty spanners and of course an old hessian potato sack for good measure.

Step 7) Ensure all windows are up and boot closed. Release rat inside car, closing the door behind him.

Step Apply tyre puncture kit to one tyre only (letting down two is a rookie mistake and will show the car has been staged, kiss that bidding war goodbye).

Step 9) Evenly scatter the red dust over the entire exterior of the car (saving 1 handful). Turn on the windscreen wipers for one pass, then lightly apply remaining dust to windscreen. For extra value disconnect the battery while the wipers are at full extension.

Step 10) Carefully apply pigeon manure in spots approx 2cm in diameter (try to keep the spots randomly shaped). be sure to group these spots in line with overhead beams of garage/shed.

Step 11) Carefully apply water drops, also following overhead beams or joins in roofing sheets.

Step 12) This step is very important, get your 12 yr old neighbor to take photos of your car with an iphone 3, also have them write you a 3 line description of your car. Be sure to remove all punctuation before uploading your listing.

Then all that's left to do is sit back and watch that cash camel ride into town as the bidding war for your classic barn find ramps up.

Please note: Be ready to answer questions such as "what's it need for road worthy", "could i drive it home on a permit", "If I pay a $131 deposit will you hold it for me till I get my tax return" or the common offer of "would you swap it for a VT Clubsport in good nic just has a defect for the rims, exhaust, suspension, tints and pod filter, I'll also throw in a sinking jetski and a vegemite toastie".

We find it best to answer all these questions with "she's a genuine Bathurst race prototype so it will be sold by morning to the first person that offers double my asking price but I would swap for a night with Pamela Anderson, not now but when she was 23".

Starting bid is not negotiable, just think how much value this barn find kit will add to your car. Our price is a bargain.

Any question, please feel free to ask your father.

Please note, this item is currently out of stock pending investigation over the legalities of posting live rats and spiders, so all bids will be cancelled prior to end of auction, so best not to bid.
gjkrv8 and gthompson like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-13-2018, 03:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think that I would take the Cobra. though it is going to require a lot of work, I am not into show cars and I would not have to do that much to get it running and presentable.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-13-2018, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm with you Ron! Let it stay original as much as possible. I think I'd have to wash it though.
Ron61 likes this.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Looking at the interior and engine compartment pictures I only imagine the smell. I can also imagine the hundreds of hours involved in cleaning/preserving as much of the original parts as possible. To the new owner, I hope you are patient, persistent, have a few extra shekels laying around. I also hope your purchase comes with a case of odor bombs.

https://www.biocidesystems.com/auto-...-quick-release
Old 02-13-2018, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick,

I love your post!!!
Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
It will be interesting to see what it goes for. The 428 vs. 427 probably will not make a huge difference. The damage from years worth of mouse nests is what may impact the sale price. Dents, paint and mechanical repairs are more easily accomplished than to remove the smell of years wroth of imbedded mouse urine. I have to imagine that the nests will be removed prior to the auction, and some attempt made at diminishing the smell.
Can you buy Febreze in industrial sizes (e.g. 55 gallon drum)?
Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

Ya, I'd love to have the "problem" of cleaning this car up. Reminds me of the old "hung with a new rope" saying. Youse guys quack me up! I don't know if it's the find of the century, but it would definitely make the top ten...
Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Rick,

I love your post!!!
Came from an Aussie that did it on Ebay. Went around the net a couple years ago, too clever for me to have made up.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Whats up with the rear wheel and tire failing so miserably to fill the fender?
Old 02-13-2018, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

Halibrand wheels are wider and fill in the fenders better.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

t walgamuth,

That is the look of the big block body style , street version. Smaller wheels, etc.

Maurice
Old 02-13-2018, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, that is a factory look then?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Sunbursts"....they are all 7.5 front/rear. That's why they did the "narrow hip" cars, but street 427s are fine! I love the real street roadster look, no scoop, no pipes, not roll bar.....just a wolf in sheep's clothing ready to eat "Vettes for breakfast!

Looks a lot like 3327, the first Cobra I ever drove (thanks, JBo!)
Alfa02 likes this.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine has 17" rims I believe with 275/40R tires front and 315/35R rear. The rims were not on it when built. I have those wheels too, 16" I believe, three piece wheels. ONe being cracked in the center section so I'll be loooking for a center or get it repaired if there is a reputable place which will do it.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Am I the only one interested in the backstory?

Man I want to know who, why, he left 2 fantastic cars to rot.
HTM101 likes this.