17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 06:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default I Can Remove My Spinners With One Finger

... with the old FinishLine billet piece that I bought over a decade ago, cut and turned down to fit a one and one-half inch impact socket, all attached to my AirCat gun with "1000 ft/lbs of nut busting torque." As I "ease" in to my 60's, slamming that big lead hammer time after time after time has started to get old.

Pete Munroe and Morris like this.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Is that thing still sold? I'm well along in my 60s and getting way to close to 70 so I may be looking for something like that some time.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

can your compressor give it enough volume to put out 1000 ft/lbs?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Is that thing still sold? I'm well along in my 60s and getting way to close to 70 so I may be looking for something like that some time.
Apparently so. It looks a little different than mine, but not much. Spinner Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
can your compressor give it enough volume to put out 1000 ft/lbs?
Yes, that gun needs about 38 CFM, and I run it on a short, fat hose, with no "quick disconnect fittings," from a supplemental tank that acts in a similar fashion as a capacitor. It gives a nice four to six seconds at full throttle.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

1000 pounds? Not in it's best day. I run all commercial IR stuff. The early "Thunder Gun" 1/2" at best was 600 BOTH DIRECTIONS at a consistent 175 psi. My 3/4 IR at 175 psi and a 3/4" hose is good for 1100. The 1" IR will twist to 1800. I woudn't pay my attention to numbers on the box.

Is that spinner wrench aluminum? Wouldn't an impact with any real snot to it will beat it to death in short order?
Old 04-06-2018, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

Anything aluminum + impact wrench = no bueno in short order. That looks like it would work great with a long (hand operated) breaker bar.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmt View Post
1000 pounds? Not in it's best day. I run all commercial IR stuff. The early "Thunder Gun" 1/2" at best was 600 BOTH DIRECTIONS at a consistent 175 psi. My 3/4 IR at 175 psi and a 3/4" hose is good for 1100. The 1" IR will twist to 1800. I woudn't pay my attention to numbers on the box.

Is that spinner wrench aluminum? Wouldn't an impact with any real snot to it will beat it to death in short order?
Uhhh, it's right here on the AirCat web site: AIRCAT 1000-TH - 1/2" Impact Wrench Surely AirCat wouldn't fib about their "nut busting torque" levels would they?

And I vaguely recall FinishLine saying that was T6 aluminum, suitable for use in rocket ships, fighter jets, and Morris's Kirkham.
Morris likes this.

Last edited by patrickt; 04-06-2018 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-06-2018, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhh, it's right here on the AirCat web site: AIRCAT 1000-TH - 1/2" Impact Wrench Surely AirCat wouldn't fib about their "nut busting torque" levels would they?

And I vaguely recall FinishLine saying that was T6 aluminum, suitable for use in rocket ships, fighter jets, and Morriss's Kirkham.
Uh Huh,,, Wanna buy a bridge? I think they might even deliver it to you.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

90-120 psi at 8 cfm? I call bullshxt. 86 db? That would be good. My IR Thunder gun is a screamer. It's one of the older original Nascar guns.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
90-120 psi at 8 cfm? I call bullshxt. 86 db? That would be good. My IR Thunder gun is a screamer. It's one of the older original Nascar guns.
In their fine print they say that's at 25% load factor. The true number at all out is in the high thirties. I find a lot of the pneumatic tool folks do that.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Do you have any idea how much air 30+ cfm is? I doubt that would even pass through a 3/8 hose with the end cut off.
What about that bridge? Are you interested? I'll take a small cash down payment. I'll even include a service contract.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, since you asked:

Source: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/a...se-d_1523.html
Old 04-06-2018, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Numbers? Colored lines? Pretty. Don't try and back up your claims with facts. I think it's fake news.
Come on! How about that bridge? I have other buyers ya know,,,,,,,
Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Patrick I'd like to play volleyball with this all day but I have to go paint the bridge and get it ready for shipping.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrick I'd like to play volleyball with this all day but I have to go paint the bridge and get it ready for shipping.
Well, alright, if that billet aluminum does fly apart in my hands then you guys will be proven right anyway.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wrap my 1/2" universals with black tape so when they explode with an impact wrench I don't get killed by the shrapnel. It would probably be a good idea with the spinner wrench.
Buzz and Morris like this.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Just word of caution. The tool you attach the impact socket to, is not very likely to be impact rated. I have seen regular socket used to spin a loose nut shatter, even though the nut wasn't tight. The guy had his hand loosely guiding the socket. When it shattered, it cut him up pretty bad. So keep your hands away from it,and always look it over for cracks, before you touch it.

I doubt you will have issues, but we don't heal well at this age.
Morris and LoBelly like this.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:44 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's good advice, and I will heed it.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wasn't kidding about the tape.
Attached Images

Buzz likes this.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Aluminum hex turned by an impact wrench? Oh, the humanity! I can see fingers and other body parts staining the beige paint already!

We had one of those tools we inherited with a car, sold it off. You needed too long of a rod to carry for it to be really useable. If it had a steel hub cast into the alloy it might be OK for impact but that just looks like an accident waiting for opportunity.
Buzz likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/