24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree102Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2018, 04:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
IM serious I was really getting discouraged ! For the Money they want vs the car I want I was thinking f..k it Ill buy a motor home instead {my wife's suggestion}.you boys are giving me hope thank you. Hauss
In the long run, I'm thinking you'll be happier with a motor home anyway.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #829, Ford 427
Not Ranked     

Being in a family that owns a few motorhomes, I have suggestions and one is to be ready to always work on some problem! I have a few including a Prevost and no matter what, there are issues with all of them. Get the Cobra, just drive a few and you will be hooked. Just take your time, the purchase of the car should be a marathon, not a sprint.
hauss likes this.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I found a backdraft for 50k but I have been told they have windsheild motor mount and rearend problems .I was told they are great cars but they were only made for 300hp. Not sure what to do maybe just forget the whole thing! Please help
I own BDR #888, the car is 8 years old. It has a 527hp engine and I run 315/30/18 front and 335/30/18 rear BFG Rival tires. I autocross this car to no end. It is one of the 3 fastest autocross Cobras in existence.

I have never had a windshield issue.

I ripped both rubber motor mounts about 5 years ago and switched to the aluminum motor mounts and have not had an issue since.

I have never had a rear end problem and I launch this car harder on a weekly basis than you ever will.

BDR’s are not perfect, nor are Superperformce or any other brand.

BDR_Boy likes this.

It isn't how fast your car can go
It is how fast your car can change direction

Home of Fake Snake Racing
Old 04-13-2018, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #828
Not Ranked     

It is easier to have sex in a motorhome than a Cobra...I'm told.
ACHiPo and hauss like this.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrumpley View Post
It is easier to have sex in a motorhome than a Cobra...I'm told.
But not as good a workout!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 04-13-2018 at 06:41 AM..
Old 04-13-2018, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

If you look at the bottom of this posting you will see I have owned quite a few different branded Cobras (and 6 in total),to be honest the Unique I have now is 90-95% of the SuperFormance and the best handling of all of them was the 2nd FFR I had with a 408W in it. My Unique FIA was built in 1994,there are no stress cracks in the body,the interior has held up great,the fit and finish are excellent and no problems with the drivetrain AND it has 14K miles on it-more than any of the previous cars I had... If the Unique mentioned earlier is visually to your liking I would check it out-and it has a big block in it-BOOM!! Rich
Attached Images

Sold:MK4 Factory Five 4.6 SC
MK2 FFR 408W
MK2 FFR 345HP Crate 302
Superformance BB460

Last edited by spitfun@aol.com; 04-13-2018 at 06:17 AM..
Old 04-13-2018, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You've mentioned twice now that it will cost a lot to get "what you want". Please state the features and options you are looking for and we may be able to help you. Colors, engine, etc..
Old 04-13-2018, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427/465
Not Ranked     

Hauss,

Just wanted to share my thoughts- I bought my SPF last year, I spent the prior 3 years doing my research. I chose an SPF based on what I wanted in a cobra. I drove several brands, and the SPF fit me the best. That is key. Drive a few of each of the brands, and decide based on your needs. Then I went after a car that had the options I was looking for- FE date coded 427 (mine is from 1963), built by reputable engine builder installer. Mine was built and installed in 04 by Southern Automotive. After 14 years, I could still get the build sheet, and they are a pleasure to work with. Do your homework by visiting some local clubs in your area. They are everywhere, and we all love to talk about our cars.

Most of all, decide if these cars are for you. No matter what brand you buy, there are going to be issues. New ones need some tweaking. Used ones may have issues from a lack of preventative maintenance. If you aren't willing to wrench on the car, that is OK, but plan on additional funds for a good mechanic. Hope this helps, and feel free to reach out (PM) if you want to chat. Good luck, and enjoy!

Dave
Old 04-13-2018, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but your not saying it all. My father fought in the korean war was shot a total of 3 times and had three sons of which I am one of those sons.A big price was paid for me just to grow up in this great country. So what I am saying is 50k American Dallars is a Hell of ALOT OF MONEY ! For a car built in south africa
Old 04-13-2018, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying but your not saying it all. My father fought in the korean war was shot a total of 3 times and had three sons of which I am one of those sons.A big price was paid for me just to grow up in this great country. So what I am saying is 50k American Dallars is a Hell of ALOT OF MONEY ! For a car built in south africa
So buy one built in the USA? ERA comes to mind among the top of the heap (:
You still have not stated what features you want, but pre-owned ERA cars can range from $50-70K depending on equipment and how much you want to "fix".
Old 04-13-2018, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
So buy one built in the USA? ERA comes to mind among the top of the heap (:
You still have not stated what features you want, but pre-owned ERA cars can range from $50-70K depending on equipment and how much you want to "fix".
Yes, what he said! x10
Old 04-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So what I am saying is 50k American Dallars is a Hell of ALOT OF MONEY ! For a car built in south africa
You know what they say, "you can't take it with you." Maybe if you lay out the specifics of what you want, and your skill level, we can help steer you in a direction that will make you happy in the long run. But, as I said in my first post, this has become a rather expensive hobby, considering these are just stupid toys....
Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
$95K for a replica cobra or...

$50K for used Shelby gt350 or $70K for used corvette Z06 with a real car title and still have about $25 to $45K left to take wife on a vacation.
hauss likes this.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Hauss
Old 04-13-2018, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
In the long run, I'm thinking you'll be happier with a motor home anyway.
I think Patrickt hit the nail squarely on the head. A Motorhome would be a decidedly better choice for the OP and more appropriate ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Hauss - I agree with you completely!

ERA Slabside 289 #3010
Old 04-13-2018, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

On second thought, it appears what the OP's is really taking issue with is spending $50K or more for his Cobra, original manufacturer location not withstanding.

As luck would have it there is a ready made solution for him — the scratch builder approach! This will allow the OP to benefit from all vastly reduced price of components, just like the manufacturers use. Additionally he will be able to build the car exactly as he would like and who knows he could even come in below $35K perhaps even below $20K if he choses the lowest priced components.

This solution has the additional benefit of delivering the exact car he wants (after all he did the design and build plan) at or below the price point he wants.

Of course if he is insufficiently motivated, there is always the motorhome. Who knows he might even get to work on it as frequently, perhaps more so, than the Cobra.

There is a simplicity and beauty to this solution that allows the OP to hit all of his goals and there is no one else involved other than him — so the outcome will be exactly what he wanted and created.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, motor home it is.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

So, it appears the issue boils down to: 1) the wait time and expense of buying a new car, or 2) the wait time and expense of buying a used car. Definitely a conundrum. You'll have to figure out which is more important. For what it's worth, I've owned my Superformance for almost 11 years. It has a small block stroker Roush motor. And the car has over 25,000 miles. It's been an amazing car and I can't imagine having one that would be any better. And yes, it's for sale. And definitely less than 69K!!!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
On second thought, it appears what the OP's is really taking issue with is spending $50K or more for his Cobra, original manufacturer location not withstanding.

As luck would have it there is a ready made solution for him — the scratch builder approach! This will allow the OP to benefit from all vastly reduced price of components, just like the manufacturers use. Additionally he will be able to build the car exactly as he would like and who knows he could even come in below $35K perhaps even below $20K if he choses the lowest priced components.

This solution has the additional benefit of delivering the exact car he wants (after all he did the design and build plan) at or below the price point he wants.

Of course if he is insufficiently motivated, there is always the motorhome. Who knows he might even get to work on it as frequently, perhaps more so, than the Cobra.

There is a simplicity and beauty to this solution that allows the OP to hit all of his goals and there is no one else involved other than him — so the outcome will be exactly what he wanted and created.

Ed
If $50K is the upper limit, that rules out a number of marques, including Superformance, ERA, Kirkham, Shelby and Backdraft - and I'm sure I'm missing others. Regardless, there are number of cars on the market that qualify as both <$50K and made in the USA.

Suggested steps:
  1. OP needs to figure out what he wants - what is most important and what he can do without
  2. Find the nearest Cobra club or gathering and check out the different makes - including sitting in them and checking for fite wherever possible (ask REAL nice)
  3. Start searching with Google, Bing, Yahoo, whatever - it doesn't take long to find lengthy lists of cars for sale
  4. Narrow down the list, based upon the above and check them out personally.
  5. It would be wise to take along someone with knowledge of these street legal race cars who can check out what's right and what's wrong with each car.
  6. Make a decision and write the check.
  7. Enjoy.