• 1 Post By Mark IV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 460
Not Ranked     
Default New owner

I just purchased a shell valley cobra with a 460 and 4 speed top loader. Any Driving advice is welcome.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Go slow and easy. No sharp turns under power and find a big empty parking lot to play in so that you get a feel for how quickly things can get out of control. It will bite you if you do not respect it.
Ron61, Alfa02 and Rail1 like this.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

All Cobras, no matter who makes them, will exchange the front and rear at the drop of a hat. Don't stomp on the accelerator until you learn the limits of your car. Also, avoid downshifting to "engine brake" or you will get compression braking and go sideways. The configuration of the brake/throttle make heel-toe difficult. Use brakes to slow and accelerator to go.
Ron61 and Rail1 like this.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Limit the throttle pedal travel or disconnect the secondaries on the carburetors until you want some more power.

Or retard the ignition timing by 5 degrees.
Ron61 and Rail1 like this.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All the above is excellent advise and I would only add that if you have any driving schools near by go to one of them. They will teach you a lot and do it in a safe place and manner.

Ron
Alfa02 and Rail1 like this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-12-2018, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
All the above is excellent advise and I would only add that if you have any driving schools near by go to one of them. They will teach you a lot and do it in a safe place and manner.

Ron
Yes, full agree.

I've driven some scary cars with 700+hp, and even rolling along in 2nd gear, hitting a bump can bounce your foot on the gas at the wrong time, not funny sometimes.
Rail1 likes this.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Ditto, to what Ron61 said. Best money you will ever spend, plus it make's you a better street driver too! Congrats on your Cobra, Hope you like to talk to people, new & old friends will come out of the woodwork, just for a ride Cheers Tom.
Rail1 likes this.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

If you've ever had the pleasure of driving on icy roads, that is what a high-powered, 90 inch wheelbase car with manual brakes can be like on the street. Great advice above - get to know the car and its manners intimately in a safe environment before attempting to drive it anywhere near hard on the street.
Contrary to mythology, a well set up Cobra actually rides and handles quite nicely once a driver knows exactly what he's dealing with. If you've owned and driven muscle cars before, this is nothing like them. You need to anticipate what the rear end is going to want to do every time you feed it some gas, and know how to keep it in line before it gets out of shape.
Definitely (especially early on) resist the urge to show the Japanese and German tuner cars where it's at on the open road, because they will all want to challenge you. Have fun and enjoy!
Rail1 likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-12-2018, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Should I replace the top loader with an AOD?
Old 05-12-2018, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not unless there is something that makes using a manual transmission difficult for you. If you're up for a transmission swap, and depending on the type of driving you'll do most often (highway?), you might want to consider putting in a Tremec TKO600 with the 5th gear overdrive.
Rail1 likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Last edited by Buzz; 05-12-2018 at 08:55 AM..
Old 05-12-2018, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Not unless there is something that makes using a manual transmission difficult for you. If you're up for a transmission swap, and depending on the type of driving you'll do most often (highway?), you might want to consider putting in a Tremec TKO600 with the 5th gear overdrive.
No racing just highway driving and car shows. Just looking for the safest way to go.... if there is one
Old 05-12-2018, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The 460 is generally a torque monster, so driving a Cobra with one is like riding a dragon. Keep it calm and reigned in and all is smooth and sedate. Just always be ready, though, before you jab it with the spurs - because you're about to open the gates of hell!
Best piece of safety equipment is between your ears. The cars are not inherently unsafe - as far as light, open machines with 60's era ergonomics go - and they actually drive nicely unless provoked. If you're cut out for all that goes with Cobra ownership, it's the best fun you'll ever have in a car.
RB60 and Rail1 like this.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Congrats!! All good advice above but I will add one more piece. Avoid the beer, bloody mary or margarita while out and about. The small lapse in good judgment and discipline should be avoided. I always made it a personal rule that not even one drink was ok while out in the cobra.

John
Trubble and Rail1 like this.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post
Congrats!! All good advice above but I will add one more piece. Avoid the beer, bloody mary or margarita while out and about. The small lapse in good judgment and discipline should be avoided. I always made it a personal rule that not even one drink was ok while out in the cobra.

John

Yep!!!! That is a rule I use when riding my Harley as well....
Buzz, Millsy and Trubble like this.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

I agree re the drink - to prove it to yourself play a driving computer game until you are consistent then have an alcoholic drink and play it again 10 minute later - you will notice an increase in your lap times and accidents.
Rail1 likes this.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post

John
I won't take anything stronger than an Advil while driving my Cobra!
Rail1 likes this.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I'm glad many of you agree about the non drinking policy. My point was more to emphasize the lack of good judgment after a drink. I'm sure we can all drive competently enough but after a drink that little BMW or Honda Civic that pulls out in front and thinks they are all that can be more of a temptation to show off to. Especially with a new bada$$ Cobra. Enjoy that thing, lots of fun.

John
Old 05-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

My Cobra/GT40 rule: 8 hours bottle to throttle.

Believe me I LOVE a good Merlot/Shriraz, etc. and right now it is beautiful here, perfect weather for a drive, BUT had some Cab Sav so the keys stay on the hook.
Alfa02 likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/