LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Lol, I just was looking at Summit after seeing a photo of that Coker. The smaller dia is a problem with me, I like the tire to fill up the wheelwell.

COK-71231
$460 ea.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-71231

Mark, no matter as I have 12 years of school. Passed 6th grade twice.

Those are really low profile - much lower than I'm looking for, though perhaps good for those looking to autocross on 15" rubber. Comparable $$ to Avons.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I prefer 15" wheels for street use, but 17"s for the track as we have a lot of tire choices.
I also like the looks of tire filling up the wheel wells, rather than wheels. The latter makes Cobra's look like a street rod, not a old school muscle car. There's nothing wrong with either though. Plus, less sidewall on the street is harsh, but less sidewall on the road race track is much better. Too bad there isn't more tires for the 15", as time goes by, there's less and less.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I prefer 15" wheels for street use, but 17"s for the track as we have a lot of tire choices.
I also like the looks of tire filling up the wheel wells, rather than wheels. The latter makes Cobra's look like a street rod, not a old school muscle car. There's nothing wrong with either though. Plus, less sidewall on the street is harsh, but less sidewall on the road race track is much better. Too bad there isn't more tires for the 15", as time goes by, there's less and less.

Those Michelin TB15s are 35 and 40 series, so not much sidewall. The lower aspect ratio may make them good track tire options for some by lowering the car and providing a lower effective gear ratio w/o actually changing gears.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, harder ride for crusing too. I see many ruined 20"-28" wheels from hitting bumps to even small pot holes. Not good in Nebraska ! lol....

I saw a BMW3 with short 1" sidewalls, it was bouncing all over the place. What a jaring ride that has to be !!!
Old 06-02-2018, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yep, harder ride for crusing too. I see many ruined 20"-28" wheels from hitting bumps to even small pot holes. Not good in Nebraska ! lol....

I saw a BMW3 with short 1" sidewalls, it was bouncing all over the place. What a jaring ride that has to be !!!

I know a fellow with an AMG MB in Toronto that replaced a number of wheels due to nasty interactions with potholes. Those low profile rubber bands aren't particularly street friendly unless you have glass-smooth roads.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With so much salt in winter and summer heat here in Ne. pot holes are a disaster to cars, tires and wheels. People today are wrapping their wheels with rubber band tires, and pay for it. Plus, they are rock hard ride.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 05-25-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Old 05-26-2020, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was looking for the Avon's that resemble the Good Year Billboards, but in a radial. So I found the CR6ZZ, but I don't see them on Roger Kraus's or other sites I've searched ?
Avons are only available in the US from Roger Kraus on the west coast and SASCO on the east coast. They are expensive and they are never on sale. I switched to Avons when Yokohamas were discontinued ages ago. Avons have period correct dimensions and look "right" on the car. They are likely the best money you can spend on your Cobra (replica) to improve performance, drivability and overall fun factor. I think I am now on set number six. Nearly 50,000. street and track miles. I am getting around 8000 miles to a set if I don't track them too much. Not to discount fastd's opinion, I have had differing experiences. I have been caught in the rain numerous times. I slow down and take it easier on the loud pedal to make it home. I have never felt the tires were squirrelly or unsafe in the wet. They are designed for all weather racing, so? Neither have I ever experienced the tires feeling unsafe when they are cold. In general I drive my car easy for the first 10 minutes or so while oil and water temps come up as a mater of course so tires would be coming up to temp during that time as well. Long story short, I am a convert and a deciple of the CR6ZZ.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will think about AVON's, their very expensive. After sitting for 15 years due to my bad health, my engine builder steeling my aluminum block, all parts, camcorder, 2k in money.

I'm finishing building a new 428 FE, new Tremec, billet fly, dual clutch etc, my fund to start up again, the money is getting low.

There's no sense in buying tires that I don't like, but 4k is a lot of frickin money though.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Kevin, if you put Avons on there and then try and test their limits of adhesion you're just going to kill yourself. Go with Mickey Thompsons and you'll be fine.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why's that ?

Really don't want to die too young, at leach until my birthday is over on June 25th.
Which M/T are you speaking of ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 05-26-2020 at 09:36 AM..
Old 05-26-2020, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Kevin, if you put Avons on there and then try and test their limits of adhesion you're just going to kill yourself. Go with Mickey Thompsons and you'll be fine.
Are these the MT/SRs? With the flame tread and short sidewall? Maybe a decent tire but I struggle with the look on a "Cobra". That's just me.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I will think about AVON's, their very expensive. After sitting for 15 years due to my bad health, my engine builder steeling my aluminum block, all parts, camcorder, 2k in money.

I'm finishing building a new 428 FE, new Tremec, billet fly, dual clutch etc, my fund to start up again, the money is getting low.

There's no sense in buying tires that I don't like, but 4k is a lot of frickin money though.
If you can't bring yourself to spend that much on tires I totally get it. If you can tolerate the look of the MT/SRs I am sure they will make you happy and save you some $$. If you should pull the trigger on Avons I doubt you would ever regret it. Either way, no one dies. :-)
Old 05-26-2020, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
Are these the MT/SRs? With the flame tread and short sidewall? Maybe a decent tire but I struggle with the look on a "Cobra". That's just me.
Yes, the MT,SR.

I'm trying to see if they have them with the size I have now, 295/50/15 ?
There's two reasons why I don't like short/low profile tires. Like you, low sidewall's are for Hot Rods, but not for old school muscle cars, including the mighty muscle Cobra's. A Hot Rodded Cobra could be cool, but would have many...changes, yet still look like a Cobra. There's a lot of tire choices for 16" 18" lower profile, but I like the looks of tire in the wheel well, not tire.

Less side Wall =harsher ride.

Someone here I believe said he had 295/50 like me, but he switched to the 275/60, which means less width, but fills the wheel well more with tire.

That I might think about. I lowered my rear coil shocks to fill up more of the well, and I think, the less in the width, might look better too. When I look at the original Cobra's, the wheel is further in, which has a lot of space between the tire and the fender, which looks nice. My tire is flush to the outside of the fender, which I don't like. At one time I thought of narrowing the rear end, just to get that look.

What do you think of a 275/60 ?
Old 05-26-2020, 11:21 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
Yeah, I kind of agree. Someone around here posted that they really liked the ST instead and that there was some reason why it was actually a better performer on a Cobra than the SR. The tread on the ST is more pleasing to the eye. If I was going on tread looks alone, I would go with the ST.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Why's that ?

Really don't want to die too young, at leach until my birthday is over on June 25th.
Which M/T are you speaking of ?
The reason I wrote that was that I have a distinct memory of one of the Kirkham brothers talking about Avons versus other tires, of which the MTs were one. There was absolutely no question that the Avons outperformed the other tires. But, the other tires tended to give you more notice that you were reaching the limit while the Avons reached their limit with less notice. So, if you are a Sunday afternoon Richard Petty, you're more likely to put your car in to the trees with the Avons as opposed to other tires.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
if you DON’T want to kill yourself in a Cobra, take AVON’s
Old 05-26-2020, 12:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
if you DON’T want to kill yourself in a Cobra, take AVON’s
He ain't gonna spring for the Avons.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
He ain't gonna spring for the Avons.
+1^

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe if that little boy in the White House will send me another stimulus check.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The reason I wrote that was that I have a distinct memory of one of the Kirkham brothers talking about Avons versus other tires, of which the MTs were one. There was absolutely no question that the Avons outperformed the other tires. But, the other tires tended to give you more notice that you were reaching the limit while the Avons reached their limit with less notice. So, if you are a Sunday afternoon Richard Petty, you're more likely to put your car in to the trees with the Avons as opposed to other tires.
That surprises me about the AVON. Normally, slick's will give you a warning, so you better listen, but maybe this tire is different ?

I'm one that does not like power steering with my Cobra or my friends Corvette that he races. Drag and the stand start 1/2 mile race. You can feel what the car and tires need, you loose that with it being powered. Same thing with our dirt sprint car. You have to feel the surface under you.