21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Yes Mark I would like that.
Pm sent
Old 06-17-2018, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

So you have a Cobra you don't drive, and the likelihood is that the replacement will not be compatible with your wife.

Why not sell the Cobra and get a nice fun touring car that you can go on vacation with? There are lots of sporty yet comfortable cars out there. Maybe a sporty convertible like a Mustang or if you want to spend $$$ an Aston Martin. That would give you the top-down open air when the weather permits, but be driveable year round and not just a Saturday morning garage queen.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenmetals View Post
Pm sent
I didn't see the PM so I sent one to you. Has my phone number in it.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Just work an extra 6 months and buy a Superformance or grab a nice 2013-2015 naturally aspirated Porsche Boxster S or GTS for comfort and convenience in a roadster feel.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I’m coming to realise that getting old sucks, but I guess it’s still better than the alternative. Best of luck in whatever decisions you make regarding the future.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Unfortunately that thought has already crossed my mind, but I have be trying to find a way to have a life after retirement and still share it with my wife. Otherwise I might as well continue to work.

I have worked all my life. I started cutting grass for a neighbor at the age of 10. Started bailing hay at 13. Worked at an apple orchard the summer and fall, I was 16. Finished the year pumping gas. Carried dry wall on the week ends and put in swimming pools when I wasn't carrying drywall, while working 48 hrs a week at the gas station my last two years of high school. I went to work for a chemical company shortly after. Most of those 41 years, I worked 300-400 hr of overtime a year.

So here I am looking at the end of working. It's all I have ever known, but I am tired of it. However it is very sobering and unnerving. There is much more I would like to finish before I retire, but I know there will always be more to do. I loved my job, most of the time and few people were ever that fortunate. It is tough to give it all up. I have attended too many funerals of people who never got to retire, so I do not want to work too long. Yes I am conflicted with many feelings.

I likely will never have grandchildren. I have plenty of money to live on. The only reason I am working is the medical insurance. Unfortunately, my wife's health leaves her unable to do much. I have already worked past the time that she could have enjoyed it. It is too late for her, and I feel quite guilty for that, even though I know it is not my fault. So yes maybe I am grasping at straws.
Olddog,

I too started mowing neighbors yards at 10 and as soon as I turned 14 got my working papers and worked all of the way through high school and then college. Towards the end of my career I took on a second job as well. Got my first cobra after the kids were out of high school. Retired from my main job and worked the very next day at my second job, which I have continued. Was not ready to just sit home, was just tired of going to my primary place of employment.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and my only suggestion to you would be to find something of interest to keep you occupied. While you said that you know people who never got to see retirement, i also know of people who never enjoyed retirement because they did not know what to do and just sat on the couch all day till they died. You have a couple of years to prepare yourself for retirement, find something that makes you happy.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Olddog,
This discussion has evolved a lot since my earlier post, so I'll add one more thought. The timing of my decision to retire early was driven by factors beyond my control. But the decision was made easy when I realized I was having more fun at home in my garage than I was at work. I had been fortunate to have two careers that I really enjoyed, so I was not trying to escape from a bad work situation. I just wanted to do some non-work things even more. ..... I've long believed that people should retire so they can do things they enjoy more than work. If you enjoy going to work and its not stopping you from doing something you'd rather do, then keep working. Sitting around being bored is no fun and some jobs are very fulfilling. But if the job is just filling your days without being fulfilling, then start researching other activities you might like better. For many people a good start is in volunteering to help others. For example, for several years I volunteered as an advisor to a robotics team at a local high school. With a little luck, you may find something that you and your wife can do together to make retirement more fun. And it doesn't have to have anything to do with a car. ... Good luck.
mln385, legenmetals and 1795 like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-18-2018, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Olddog - embrace your situation - challenges and all. You are way better off than most and continuing to enjoy life is just a matter of considering all options and choosing what works best. Here is my suggestion.
Since the ergonomics of any Cobra will be problematic regardless of brand or body composition and you've already stated you pick roads that allow you to drive slower; maybe it is time to move on to something else. I'm guessing you're more of an old school gearhead and a Ford guy, so Boxters and newer 'Vettes might not cut it for you. Maybe look at a classic Ford convertible that will give you miles of smiles, turn heads like crazy and still involve a bit of hands on care, personalization and interaction. Something like this:

Your wife might love it and you'll be welcome at any Ford or Cobra gathering.
Regardless of what you choose to do, all the best and enjoy the fruits of all your years of hard work!
mln385 and Alfa02 like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 06-18-2018 at 06:50 AM..
Old 06-18-2018, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

I'm 62 and plan on retirement at the end of this year. Buy the Kirkham, you will love it. I've had two and two CSX 4000's built by Kirkham. I have CSX 4322 now and love it.
After retirement I'll sell my Scarab replica and two '67 Corvettes. I'll keep my CSX built by Kirkham or maybe sell it and buy a non CSX Kirkham in polished aluminum and keep one of my '67 Corvettes.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:

So I have been looking at where I am financially. I am now at age 60 and plan to retire at 62. Analysis shows I can maintain my standard of living and not run out of money, if I live to be 100 yrs old and still leave it to my children.

Well all my life I saved and bought very little for myself. All the sudden, I am looking at where I am standing, financially, and maybe I can afford a Kirkham after all. If I worked one more year, past when I plan to retire, I could swing it.

I'm not sure I will do it, but I'm thinking about it. Should I purchase new and build what I want? Or a used one?

I can remember when a base model was a little over $50K and now they are $100K.
I can remember when Kirkhams were $50,000 for a base (no options) roller too! It was the Year 2007, when I bought my Kirkham.

If you've run the retirement numbers, and it fits the budget, and you really want one, then buy one. I'd buy used. They're almost always cheaper used, but you do get someone else's build.

And personally, I wouldn't base any Cobra purchase decision on who can or cannot get into the passenger seat. Who cares, it's for you.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Travel the world and chill
You and your wife could go everywhere in style for quite a while on Kirkham Moolah ;-)
Old 06-18-2018, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

You said "Analysis shows I can maintain my standard of living and not run out of money, if I live to be 100 yrs old and still leave it to my children."

Well, if your running low on money, you could always sell it, and even if it's for a loss, you enjoyed it! Life is short !

I have both a fiberglass and aluminum bodied cobra's, and yes, the aluminum dents easily, especially when you're around F...ing Morons ! i.e. the general public , as well as people who should know better ! So, a fiberglass CSX4000/6000 may be a good option, as well as others.

Also, a dodge viper is a good option, a "modern" 427 cobra. They are a blast ! I like the looks of the 1992-2002, but the 2003-2007 have roll up windows, and more importantly, the top is easier to put up and down. I'd recommend the 2003-2007. You can get them for about $40K.

I live in the Cleveland area, so if you would like to talk, or take a look at my cars (vipers included), you're welcome to come up.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I have both a fiberglass and aluminum bodied cobra's, and yes, the aluminum dents easily, especially when you're around F...ing Morons ! i.e. the general public , as well as people who should know better ! So, a fiberglass CSX4000/6000 may be a good option, as well as others.
And fiberglass chips and cracks "easily," when you're around F'ing Morons. So, just try and avoid F'ing Morons. If you're parking your Cobra in the Safeway or Starbucks parking lot, then you're a F'ing Moron.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Anthony,
I too have both glass and aluminum and I agree with you 100%.

There's this one d!psh!t at my local C&C. More than once I've seen him come up to my KMP and feel under the fender lip with his glazed donut fingers to see if its aluminum. When asked if I could answer any questions, he looks away and walks in the other direction. I think he wants to be seen as a guy who knows what to look for. Instead he just looks like a moron.
If you can't tell by looking, then you really shouldn't be touching.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
And personally, I wouldn't base any Cobra purchase decision on who can or cannot get into the passenger seat. Who cares, it's for you.
Wow - that's a whole 'nother level of callous! Do you have any family?
Here's what Olddog wrote about his wife:

Quote:
I haven't driven my Cobra in two years. Mainly because she cannot ride in it (and she loved it as much as me).
Kirkham, CSX, ERA, alloy or fiberglass will not change any of the above.

Now - picture that Lincoln with a pro-touring chassis and a Kaase Boss 9 under the hood...schwiiinnngggg!
xb-60 likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Last edited by Buzz; 06-18-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Old 06-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
None that love him anymore.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Yes, I'm callous.

I'm sure Olddog can find another activity he and his wife can enjoy. Besides, would his wife deny him his purchase, because she can't ride along in the passenger seat?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
None that love him anymore.
Family should love you no matter what your quirks or idiosyncrasies. That's why your family tolerates your color blindness. Otherwise, who would pick beige for their Cobra?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

olddog, what about a nice Galaxie/Fairlane/Mustang that's set up for touring? That way you wouldn't have to work longer and your wife could enjoy it too?
Buzz likes this.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Yes, I'm callous.

I'm sure Olddog can find another activity he and his wife can enjoy. Besides, would his wife deny him his purchase, because she can't ride along in the passenger seat?
I get the impression she wouldn't deny him that. Which in itself probably gives him all the more reason to care about including her in his driving adventures.
But I suppose we're beginning to delve into areas that are best left alone and stick to our best recommendations re: the original question.