Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

BTW, isn't that car above like the one that President Kennedy was killed in? Woof, I wouldn't caught riding or driving one of those.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

In that case, I'd vote no Kirkham.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
olddog, what about a nice Galaxie/Fairlane/Mustang that's set up for touring? That way you wouldn't have to work longer and your wife could enjoy it too?
Bingo!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
BTW, isn't that car above like the one that President Kennedy was killed in? Woof, I wouldn't caught riding or driving one of those.
Just avoid driving past grassy knolls.
RodKnock likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
olddog, what about a nice Galaxie/Fairlane/Mustang that's set up for touring? That way you wouldn't have to work longer and your wife could enjoy it too?
If it were me, and you decided against the Kirkham, then I'd go with Anthony's suggestion of a Viper before buying a Galaxie, Fairlane or Mustang. Vipers look and perform kinda like a Cobra.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Yeah except for Vipers sound like UPS trucks.
Tommy, cycleguy55 and peterpjb like this.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

If you get a viper, definitely get one with A/C. It's great even with the top down/off, it can help alot ! Some of the early vipers don't have A/C.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-18-2018, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Any of those in ragtop form will give you open air motoring. Add an exhaust system with some full throttle bark and it could even sound a bit like a Cobra with under car exhaust.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And fiberglass chips and cracks "easily," when you're around F'ing Morons. So, just try and avoid F'ing Morons. If you're parking your Cobra in the Safeway or Starbucks parking lot, then you're a F'ing Moron.
When you're around F*n morons, it doesn't matter: Aluminum Cobra or fiberglass Cobra or Ford Fiesta paint doesn't matter. Avoid morons.
RodKnock and cycleguy55 like this.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Vipers give snake bite too. If you want performance I'd also suggest a Ford GT (mine is for sale) but touring and GT are somewhat incompatible unless you ship your luggage. It sure is comfortable and will snap your neck too.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yeah except for Vipers sound like UPS trucks.
That's an old wives tale that keeps being passed along. I just saw one this past weekend, that flew by, while I was waiting at a stoplight. Sounded great to me. And anyway, you could always add that fake engine sound that the kids like so much.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Any of those in ragtop form will give you open air motoring. Add an exhaust system with some full throttle bark and it could even sound a bit like a Cobra with under car exhaust.
Well, sure, but the Galaxie, Mustang and Fairlane don't look so good.

Now, if you're heading into musclecar category, then I've been catching a lot of the "Graveyard Carz" episodes lately and I'd rather see you driving an E body Mopar, ya know, a 1970 'Cuda or Challenger with a 440 and pistol grip 4 (or 5) speed. In fact, maybe even drop a 426 Hemi in there!
Old 06-18-2018, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, sure, but the Galaxie, Mustang and Fairlane don't look so good.

Now, if you're heading into musclecar category, then I've been catching a lot of the "Graveyard Carz" episodes lately and I'd rather see you driving an E body Mopar, ya know, a 1970 'Cuda or Challenger with a 440 and pistol grip 4 (or 5) speed. In fact, maybe even drop a 426 Hemi in there!
A 70 Hemi Cuda was one a my favorites, but nothing gives me a woody like a Cobra. Of all the cars I owned prior to the Cobra, my 68 Dodge Charger was my favorite. I love seeing the old Mopars at the car shows. Sad fact is my 68 had a lot of rust that I fixed in 1974 with only 70K miles. It wasn't the easiest to work on and the drum brakes sucked. I guess not for me.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
A 70 Hemi Cuda was one a my favorites, .
So how about the " Nash Bridges Cuda", 4 speed 426 hemi

It was born as a 1970, then changed over to look like a '71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zosi2OSnbRQ
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
So how about the " Nash Bridges Cuda", 4 speed 426 hemi

It was born as a 1970, then changed over to look like a '71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zosi2OSnbRQ
I've never owned a vintage Mopar before, uh, except for my 1966 Sunbeam Tiger.

But anyway, I digress. If I didn't have the Cobra, then I'd love to have a 1970 'Cuda or Challenger convertible. Olddog, I wouldn't buy any old POS, but with that $100,000+ you didn't use for the Kirkham, I'd buy the best 1970 'Cuda/Challenger resto-mod you could find and you would probably save a ton of money too.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Also, a dodge viper is a good option, a "modern" 427 cobra. They are a blast ! I like the looks of the 1992-2002, but the 2003-2007 have roll up windows, and more importantly, the top is easier to put up and down. I'd recommend the 2003-2007. You can get them for about $40K.
Strangely enough I was looking at Vipers on the net. When I remembered the Cobra, which was the furthest thing from my mind, back when this all started. I was amazed how many Vipers were out there at less than half price with little miles on them. People seem to buy them, let them sit and depreciate, and then sell them cheap. At least that was the case 18 years ago. After looking at the Cobra, the Viper never did much for me after that. Especially after hearing the V10 sound the first time. That said I like the looks, the creature comforts, and in the performance department, for the money (used), it has to be in the top 3.

It could be a compromise. I don't know. It feels like leaving the bar and only women left wants to leave with you. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but.....
Old 06-18-2018, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have thought about it. I love the 60's muscle cars, but most were a rust bucket at some point and have had major repairs. I also remember well what a pain in the azz they were to work on. Then there was the Ford union strikes and god knows what parts they may have stuck on something.

I even thought about a newer Mustang Cobra. Forget about working on one of those. My 2016 Escape looks like you would have to remove parts for an hour before you would find anything that looks like an engine. I'm not sure you will ever find anything that looks like an engine.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is the only picture I have handy of my Cobra. Look at how the seat is built into the car. The seats are literally on the floor and only 4" of foam at the thickest point. You sit way down in. With the side pipes, I always had her step into the car and then sit down and stand up and then step out.

Go to my photo gallery to see it full size.

If there were regular bucket seats and no side pipes, I think she could get in and out OK. I don't know that for sure, but that is I what I was thinking.

It's like I want a hot blond babe with big-uns ,and you'all keep taking me to a gay bar, not that there is anything wrong with it. It just doesn't do much for me. That's all.

Last edited by olddog; 06-18-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Old 06-18-2018, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Unfortunately that thought has already crossed my mind, but I have be trying to find a way to have a life after retirement and still share it with my wife. Otherwise I might as well continue to work.

I have worked all my life. I started cutting grass for a neighbor at the age of 10. Started bailing hay at 13. Worked at an apple orchard the summer and fall, I was 16. Finished the year pumping gas. Carried dry wall on the week ends and put in swimming pools when I wasn't carrying drywall, while working 48 hrs a week at the gas station my last two years of high school. I went to work for a chemical company shortly after. Most of those 41 years, I worked 300-400 hr of overtime a year.

So here I am looking at the end of working. It's all I have ever known, but I am tired of it. However it is very sobering and unnerving. There is much more I would like to finish before I retire, but I know there will always be more to do. I loved my job, most of the time and few people were ever that fortunate. It is tough to give it all up. I have attended too many funerals of people who never got to retire, so I do not want to work too long. Yes I am conflicted with many feelings.

I likely will never have grandchildren. I have plenty of money to live on. The only reason I am working is the medical insurance. Unfortunately, my wife's health leaves her unable to do much. I have already worked past the time that she could have enjoyed it. It is too late for her, and I feel quite guilty for that, even though I know it is not my fault. So yes maybe I am grasping at straws.
I'm not an expert on insurance but being 67 I know if you retire before Medicare eligibility without an affordable health insurance plan you can carry into retirement until you turn 65 - it can get very expensive. I was a long term Gov't employee so I could carry my health insurance into retirement until I reached 65, when it became secondary to Medicare.

I initially retired at 59 but almost immediately was hired back as a full time annuitant at full salary for another 4 years after which I switched to being a part time employee which I continue to be at this time. We were pretty comfortable financially but the extra income on top of our pensions has allowed us a lot of freedom from worry about finances, splurge on a few things, build my ERA and take some pretty nice trips.

But you have some very real issues with your wife's health so it's pretty difficult to not make that the prime issue in your decision. Good luck with the decision.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

my wife is only 5'2". She steps on the seat getting in an out of the car. Works for her.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp