• 2 Post By bobcowan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default getting things back to normal

I'm get ing around to repairing my replicas wind shield . I replaced the glass several years ago only to have it start cracking the next day. Not Shure at this point what the problem is But along the way I intend on putting the windshield back to the proper angle so the convertible top I've had for 19 years and the side curtains. The bracket welded to the dash hoop Are not enough to allow the repositioning, I'll probably need to replace those bracket. not set on the order of steps. I plan on removing all accessories off the windshield and loosening the side screws to the windshield frame an determine what is going on. Am I crushing the glass or trying to stretch the glass? I figure the two upright frame struts will need to come through the body approximately in the same slots. so the wipers would continue to work, I'm planning on changing the angle back to what would be as original. I'm planning on getting out the side curtains and making a plywood pattern that I can clamp to the doors to gauge the angle and placement of the windshield upright Then I'll tie into the brackets off the dash hoop..
The windshield was leaned back for aero purposes when the car was built. The original builder never intended to have any side curtains or top in RENO. Raising the glass back up should ( I hope make everything workable) and get the top edge of the windshield a little higher to get my under the air flow.. I have the seats on the floor and still not enough. I'm only 5' 8" and still the hat wants to catch air. I want pictures of other cars with convertible tops and maybe even side curtains as to gaps and edges like the door fitments like the top and door rear edges. I'm intimidated. I'm not the ball of fire that I once was. All motions need to be purpose full.
I had a 56 AC Bristol from 71 to 77. only had the convertible top. I drove it In Iowa then in Washington. I always wanted to have a heated interior and maybe side curtains. I even ordered a car cover way back when for a car with a convertible top. Any advise or pictures.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
I plan on removing all accessories off the windshield and loosening the side screws to the windshield frame an determine what is going on. Am I crushing the glass or trying to stretch the glass?
The usual cause is the small screws that hold the accessories, especially the ones that hold the sun visors. They're just a smidgen too long. If you file them down a little, you can prevent further cracking.
Dwight and Grubby like this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I plan on removing the visors and side wings. I'll loosen the side screws that hold the windshield to uprights. to see if it may be in some sort of bind as being crushed or spread too far. I'll see if any of the screws are too long. but some of the cracks are not where the screws are. My thing is the windshield angle is leaned back more than normal, I want normal. I figure I'll need to make and install new plates on the dash hoop to secure the glass in the correct position and angle. I have a small garage. My knee is not great my right hip is a problem. Up and down are problematic. I see a big project developing, but I want this corrected so I can use my top and side curtains
I plan on digging out the car skates and space heater. I see the dash moving and the seats coming out. See how this just keeps growing?
Old 11-18-2018, 05:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

It's easy to change the angle.

Look at the mounting points under the dash. The legs of the windshield passes through the body and are bolted to the cowling bar.
I would loosen the bolts, should be two each side, and see how far they spread apart.
I have found the mounted welded in incorrectly. And who ever mounted the windshield would make it work. Thus warping the windshield frame. Installed under stress.
You can use washers to adjust the gap.
By drilling new holes you can change the angle. If the cowling bar mounting points are two narrow you can add a larger plate, maybe 2" x 4" x 1/8" (or 3/16") to give you the second hole you need.

I'll try to post a picture to better explain it.

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/pictur...t95628&slide=0

Last edited by Dwight; 11-18-2018 at 06:42 AM..
Old 11-18-2018, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Several years ago I went to an upholster to get the interior redone and the top in a box installed. I made an appointment ( I got in line). After waiting an period of time I called and was told that I was late, he had expected my car days before. I delivered the car and parts. Next day the upholster called and said I have a problem . He had measured and laid out tape and showed me that the windshield was off center by about 3/4". The tape ran across the left door but inside the right door. So I had to take the car home( it was pouring down rain) and get that point resolved. So now home in my garage. I get the dash out, the uprights were bolted outside the brackets, both sides. The uprights are 1/4" thick and the brackets are 1/8" so I moved the uprights to the right 3/8"centering the windshield. Left side upright to other side of bracket and the right needed 3/8 " thick washer spacers. removed the windshield and healed the holes in the cowl and painted and wet sanded and such. I had purchased the new windshield earlier. The next day after the car was back together. I had a friend over to show my car only to have him point out that the new windshield had a crack. As time went on more cracks appeared. Now it's time to get this and other points resolved. The tabs on the cowl hoop are really minimal . The location in cowl with wipers say that it has to come through the cowl here but the angle is wrong. The bottoms of the uprights will need to come rear ward probably farther than the existing brackets will allow. With everything still together( the car is still drivable), I'm planning on the need to replace the brackets on the cowl hoop. I'll get everything back to normal before I spring for another windshield again.