Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2018, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for lap belts (seat belts)

New member here with the first of many questions I am sure

I just bought a replica that needs seat belts. The car is not here yet but Im told there are 3/8 mounts on each side of the seats. Is there something that looks original without breaking the bank? I found a set of original reproductions that are about $800. I dont need them to be OEM replicas but something that looks correct would be nice.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2018, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Here's what came in my Hurricane
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rjs-1126201
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 12-26-2018, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Seat belts

I have a set of Simson 5 point belts you can have. They are out dated for the track but perfect for the street. PM me your address
Happy Holidays
Jon
Old 12-26-2018, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
I have a set of Simson 5 point belts you can have. They are out dated for the track but perfect for the street. PM me your address
Happy Holidays
Jon
How would you mount 5 points with low back buckets? I only have lap belt mounts. I appreciate the offer just dont want to accept if I cant use them and someone else can.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are several places that you can get good sets for a reasonable price but it will be hard to find just a lap belt I think. You may have to get the 5 point set and then just use the lap belts.

Ron
Dwight and Mr. Demeanor like this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
I dont need them to be OEM replicas but something that looks correct would be nice.
Go here: https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/catego...Harnesses.html and then search through the different choices for Duck-Bill belts. Whether you go two point, four point, or five point, they will look just like you want them to and they are reasonably priced. It's what I use.
Mr. Demeanor likes this.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does anyone have a pic of how a 3 or 4 point is mounted with these seats? Im not sure if the panel behind the seats is sufficient to mount to for something like a 4 point.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Found these pics. Looks like theres a top mount either attached to the back of the seat or to the panel behind the seat.

Having a hard time posting pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr. Demeanor; 12-26-2018 at 01:13 PM..
Old 12-26-2018, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Get a 4-point setup from Simpson. Then get the roll bar cross member from Finish Line and attach the shoulder harnesses to the cross bar. This is for the driver side only. For the passenger side unless that side also has a roll bar you shouldn't use shoulder harnesses since there is no point to attach them. Some go through the back and use a cross tube but it's too low for the shoulder harness to mount.

Here is a Crow lap only
https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/1127-X.html

Here's the crow shoulder
https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/1135-X.html

They may have a 4-point config but I didn't have time to look.
Mr. Demeanor likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 12-26-2018 at 01:04 PM..
Old 12-26-2018, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks like I would need these trunks mounts?
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2018, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lots of people do that but Shelby American will NOT install shoulder harnesses in that manner. The result is for most people that the attach point is below the shoulder, so in the case of an accident, the shoulder harness will push you downwards compressing your spine. The correct place to attach the harness is on the cross bar above your shoulders. If you don't have a passenger roll bar you're better off without the harness since in that case, you will be held upright and then become the roll bar.

But it's up to you.
Mr. Demeanor likes this.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finishline roll bar cross member for attaching shoulder harnesses

https://www.finishlineaccessories.co...ss-member.aspx
Old 12-26-2018, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Lots of people do that but Shelby American will NOT install shoulder harnesses in that manner. The result is for most people that the attach point is below the shoulder, so in the case of an accident, the shoulder harness will push you downwards compressing your spine. The correct place to attach the harness is on the cross bar above your shoulders. If you don't have a passenger roll bar you're better off without the harness since in that case, you will be held upright and then become the roll bar.

But it's up to you.
I am 6'4" so its something I was thinking about.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here is a picture opf mine in the Coupe. In the picture it looks as if the shoulder belts are just below the top of the seat but that was from the camera angle. They are actually about 1 inch above the back of the seats and the racing association here accepts that as OK.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-27-2018, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I think that I may have an old set laying around in the barn. I will try to take a look this weekend and if they are there I will take a picture and post it. I believe that they are 4 point and if they are there you can have them, just pay for the shipping.

Jim
jolsen42 and Mr. Demeanor like this.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's input.
The only thing I would add on the mounting procedure is for you to try and mount the eye bolts directly in to the frame. But, unfortunately, sometimes the frame posts just aren't where you want them to be. In that case, do not just bolt them blindly through fiberglass or thin aluminum -- they will rip out when you need them most. You will have to fab up some sort of reasonably strong back plates. Now, personally, you don't have to go completely crazy making it all that strong because, if you get hit that hard, you're probably a goner anyway and those belts aren't going to save you. But they ought to be able to withstand a medium hard whack without pulling their bolts out.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The only thing I would add on the mounting procedure is for you to try and mount the eye bolts directly in to the frame. But, unfortunately, sometimes the frame posts just aren't where you want them to be. In that case, do not just bolt them blindly through fiberglass or thin aluminum -- they will rip out when you need them most. You will have to fab up some sort of reasonably strong back plates. Now, personally, you don't have to go completely crazy making it all that strong because, if you get hit that hard, you're probably a goner anyway and those belts aren't going to save you. But they ought to be able to withstand a medium hard whack without pulling their bolts out.
I think Im going to order something like the Crow 4 point. I can get the lap part mounted right away and then see if I can make the shoulders work. I think if I mount the bezels to run the through as high as possible to a large backing plate it would be better than nothing. At least slow me down before putting the steering wheel through my chest.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I just asked my wife if she liked black or silver and got "WTF is that it looks like a seat belt for a space shuttle cant you just do anything normal" :-)
Old 12-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well I just asked my wife if she liked black or silver and got "WTF is that it looks like a seat belt for a space shuttle cant you just do anything normal" :-)
A Cobra is not normal. She'll get used to it.