24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2020, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison #1320, 514 BBF, Richmond, 3.73 , IRS
Send a message via AIM to Trubble Send a message via MSN to Trubble Send a message via Yahoo to Trubble
Not Ranked     

As a "rookie" Cobra owner, my safety wire pliers have only been used on my pin drives several times. This gives me inspiration to look around the beast to see where else I might need safety wires.
Your work looks pretty damn good to me, and I've seen some professional wiring on the military engines.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Doc View Post
Not bad, but as a former aircraft technical inspector, I would had to have failed this particular safety. The initial loop though the bottom fastener should have been at the bottom of the bolt head - The two sections of wire should not touch. Also 6-8 twists per inch is what you are looking for with about a 1/2 " "pigtail" at the end that should be bent back into the bolt head. This keeps it from snagging on things, like your skin! All in all not a bad attempt and a good way to keep things tight. Did you use safety wire pilers, or was this done by hand?
Patrick, I believe you should re-do this and report back here with the improved version. You are far too meticulous to let this go and we all know you are losing sleep after reading this expert inspector's evaluation.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just a few of the safetied areas on my BDR.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

Those are some nice safeties!
Old 07-30-2020, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1965C View Post
Patrick, I believe you should re-do this and report back here with the improved version. You are far too meticulous to let this go and we all know you are losing sleep after reading this expert inspector's evaluation.
Like I said in the original response; not a bad attempt for someone who probably doesn't have a lot of experience in safety wiring. I pointed things out for the good of the group. Some safeties are applied to critical areas and if not done correctly could fail. Was this one? Of course not.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I think I see. But will this version be any less effective?
For this particular application? No. I was pointing out general safety wire "rules" that could cause the safety to indeed be less effective, depending on what the safety is securing. You don't want two pieces of the wire to touch, because vibration can cause the wire to weaken and eventually fail. Same with the number of twists per inch. Twisted too tightly can cause stress on the wire and lead to failure. A pigtail that is not curled back into the fastener, or out of the way can snag on moving parts, or you. This forum to for sharing information. I think Patrick did a fine job for someone who hasn't done a lot of safety wiring. In this case, I highly doubt any of the things I pointed out would lead to any problems, except maybe catching a finger on the pigtail. My comments were not meant as criticism, just general knowledge for the group.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Rest assured, I disregard pretty much everything other than posts that say "Patrick is wonderful and knows everything there is to know about everything."
BigGuy and Morris like this.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428FE
Not Ranked     

Spdbrake and Patrickt,
That safety wire looks very nice. But why spend the time safety wiring things like brake, steering and shifting components when you can spend the time for this?

This way, when I pull into the pits in my make believe race, my make believe quick jack will be there!
Attached Images

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You know, I actually kind of like that.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

That’s a lot of safety wires, are you all endurance racing ?
Old 08-12-2020, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice work, mine seem to loosen over time too. Much more elegant than loctite...
Old 08-13-2020, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The past few years most aviation Engine and Component manufacturers and overhaul shops (Fuel controls, Hyd manifolds etc..) have moved to pre-twisted crimped safeties. Easier to install, hard to screw up. They also serve as warning to Techs, cut one and you stand a good chance of voiding any warranty.

Still on the hanger floors you won't find anyone using the the Pre-twisted stuff. There is a certain pride in Correct-clean-tight safetying.

https://www.dmctools.com/products/safe-t-cable/
Old 08-13-2020, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks really cool, I can definitely see the need on some brake and suspension components. However, I think Loctite is probably more than adequate for the more mundane parts.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Med Blue 242 and 243 liquefies @ 300f so not good for engine components or brakes etc..
High strength Red 277 will is rated up to 450f and usually you need to heat the part to 500f to get the bolt or nut to loosen. Although it may hold up on a water pump it def won't stay solid on Header bolts, Brakes, exhaust parts.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

High temperature Blue 246 and ultra high temperature 2422 should work better.

Last edited by RUFdriver; 08-14-2020 at 11:24 AM..
Old 08-16-2020, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
The past few years most aviation Engine and Component manufacturers and overhaul shops (Fuel controls, Hyd manifolds etc..) have moved to pre-twisted crimped safeties. Easier to install, hard to screw up. They also serve as warning to Techs, cut one and you stand a good chance of voiding any warranty.

Still on the hanger floors you won't find anyone using the the Pre-twisted stuff. There is a certain pride in Correct-clean-tight safetying.

https://www.dmctools.com/products/safe-t-cable/
That is a very nice system.

Would love to use it soon.

Gary

Gold Certified Holden Technician