Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Starting my 289 build...

After spending a couple of years studying these cars, collecting parts, and giving Bruce Chervenak time to complete my chassis and body, I finally get to start putting the car together.

Bruce is a one-man operation who may not be the fastest production guy around, but his quality is top notch and he’s a great guy to talk to and deal with. Plus, while waiting on the chassis & body, it allowed me the chance to get a jump on collecting / restoring parts.

My build plan is to make it as similar as I can to an original 289 street car within reason. The chassis is similar to the Factory Five chassis in the fact it will use late model Mustang / Factory Five front suspension and late model Thunderbird IRS. I wanted the car to have IRS, but I’m not really enamored with the everchanging roll center/camber/caster that a front leaf based suspension provides. I have Bruce’s fiberglass footboxes and trunk floor, so the plan is for an accurate interior and boot, while the engine bay will be “reasonably” accurate. My goal is a somewhat originally appearing car that is a fun performer to drive.

I want to offer up a big thanks to this forum. I have been active on a couple of the better early mustang forums for years and appreciate what a good forum with knowledgeable members can provide. I have never done a build thread on any previous cars that I’ve restored, but I’m toying with the idea of doing one on this car. Thanks again to everyone for a great site.
Ron61, 1985 CCX, 1795 and 3 others like this.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very cool! Will be neat watching this come together!
Larry
Old 03-07-2018, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Great to see another build thread happening.

The body on my car is a modified Bruce Chervenak body, so I have an extra level of interest there.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Welcome, and good luck in your build. I have only been here a short time, but in that time everyone has been very helpful with info, parts, and anything else I've needed to get my Cobra done. Try putting one together that hasn't been built in 20+years, couldn't have done it without these guy's, Tom.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Good luck with your build and post pictures here as it progresses. Lots of knowledgable people here. If you are in need of some 289 parts let me know. I had to remove some of mine from the 289 FIA for race and they are brand new and pretty much just taking up space in storage.

Looking forward to hearing more. What parts do you have now? Engine? Transmission?

Jim
bingo2 likes this.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is great that you are getting started on your build and like the rest I am looking forward to following it. Good luck and don't get discouraged if you run into a hang up or two.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-08-2018, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the support and positive comments. My engine/trans combo will be a 289 hipo rebuild with a toploader 4 speed. That's part of the reason I decided to build this car - I had the engine and transmission and needed to find a home for them.

Regarding the build process, I understand all about not getting bogged down and disheartened. I built this one over a 10 year span (while starting a career, going through a divorce, getting re-married, raising 3 kids, etc.)

Then, I built this one for the wife a couple of years ago (converting a rubber bumper 80 MGB to look like a 60s era MGB - steel dash & the whole 9 yards)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

I hope you have better luck than I did
Old 03-08-2018, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congratulations! Have fun with the build and keep us up to date with your progress.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
How is yours progressing Bill?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 03-09-2018, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Stacey, been a long time coming. Good luck with the build. It's a very frustrating at times, yet an extremely rewarding experience. Please tell me you didn't take the engine from that beautiful 65 Mustang convertible?

John O
Old 03-09-2018, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsen42 View Post
Stacey, been a long time coming. Good luck with the build. It's a very frustrating at times, yet an extremely rewarding experience. Please tell me you didn't take the engine from that beautiful 65 Mustang convertible?
John,

No, the convertible won't be losing her engine any time soon.

I've been fortunate in the fact that I have come across a few 289s over the years that no one wanted and I scooped them up for not a lot of money. I've been able to help people who were looking for particular date coded engines and parts, so it has been a rewarding endeavor. I have one 289 (low mileage engine out of a 65 Falcon) left and it's going into the Cobra.
1985 CCX and xb-60 like this.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bill,

I sent you a PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

You'll get to a point thinking why the hell did I do this then it's wow I did this.

On & off for 20 years https://goo.gl/photos/898aU1K4dZxSTFq89

1985 CCX and old willy like this.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stacy,

Are you going with transverse leaf springs or coli overs? Mine has transfers leaf springs. I have seen some with coil overs and some with transverse leaf springs. Bill D. did a combination of the two with having coil overs and then some transverse leaf springs for show.

Jim
Old 03-09-2018, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Stacy,

Are you going with transverse leaf springs or coli overs? Mine has transfers leaf springs. I have seen some with coil overs and some with transverse leaf springs. Bill D. did a combination of the two with having coil overs and then some transverse leaf springs for show.

Jim
Jim,

Mine uses the same front suspension as the Factory 5 cars - control arms and coil overs. I like the front transverse spring from an old school, original standpoint, but from a driving standpoint, I made a decision to stay away from that floating upper suspension mounting point. I’ll be honest - that was the hardest decision I had regarding this car.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

I’ll be watching this build closely
Old 03-09-2018, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I’ll be watching this build closely
Bill,

I imagine that you will be able to offer a lot of sage advice. A lot in common with your build.

Jim
Bill D likes this.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivygreen65 View Post
Jim,

Mine uses the same front suspension as the Factory 5 cars - control arms and coil overs. I like the front transverse spring from an old school, original standpoint, but from a driving standpoint, I made a decision to stay away from that floating upper suspension mounting point. I’ll be honest - that was the hardest decision I had regarding this car.
Stacy,

Having the transverse leaf springs is nice from a historical perspective, and the car does handle well on the race track. However, let me tell you, mounting the half-shafts and shocks on the rear and having to compress those transverse leaf springs was a pain! Not a one person job. It took three of us, a lift and a floor jack to flex those springs enough to get it together. Good luck with your build.

Jim
Old 03-10-2018, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One of the first things I have to do is to remove and revamp the footboxes. Bruce’s footboxes are a bit different from the standard 289 footboxes. I would like to get the following dimensions from an original or accurate source so I can try to make theses boxes a little more correct:

- height of the aluminum firewall from the top of the footboxes to the body at the car’s centerline
- the width of the left and right footbox at the front of each footbox

If anyone could help with these measurements, I would greatly appreciate it..