19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2019, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Very nice "sanctuary" Dan.
Mine's a sanctuary as well, but it looks a little different to yours

Cheers,
Glen
Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions for a new floor covering/tile/paint, etc.

I am sure the epoxy failed due to poor preparation. In the areas where is started to peel I found oil stains underneath. Then the paint continued to peel to clean areas indicating lack of adhesion. I am sure the floor was not cleaned and etched properly or enough.

Anyway, I like the idea of snap together tiles, but I have walked on some of them and they made a squeaking noise and in one case a clicking noise. I have been told you can use an underlayment to help with this. But, I am not sure what to use? Has anyone put down an underlayment?

I may just bit the bullet, have the floor ground down to bare concrete and then have it professionally coated. I may do this because underneath snap together tiles, I would still have the unsightly peeling floor. I think that would bother me even though it would be mostly unseen.

Now I just need to make a decision! Thanks again for all the input.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I bought inexpensive landscape fabric at Lowe's - the cheap cloth black kind - not the expensive, brown random weave stuff. It has worked fine - noise/clicking has not been an issue.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I bought inexpensive landscape fabric at Lowe's - the cheap cloth black kind - not the expensive, brown random weave stuff. It has worked fine - noise/clicking has not been an issue.
I basically did the same thing and the clicking is no longer there. I have used the tiles in 4 garages. The first three with no underpayment and yes they clicked. The last one did have the underlayment and it feels and sounds solid.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

I went with RaceDeck diamond plate texture. I also installed it over landscape cloth. No clicking, but it does move around a bit, particularly when I pull into the garage and apply the brakes--there's enough momentum transferred to the flooring, and low enough friction from the landscape cloth, that it scrunches toward the front of the garage.

I'm not a fan of epoxy. I've seen too many fail even when prep was "perfect" (i.e. new construction, concrete etched, etc.) It looks beautiful when done, but it seems to have a high enough failure rate to pursue other options.

If you have the patience and skill (or connection with trades) heavy-duty ceramic tile would be tough to beat. I'm guessing it would be a bit more than SwissTrak or RaceDeck, but look better and be a bit easier to maintain.
Ron61, razerwire and Jaydee like this.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 03-24-2019 at 08:58 PM..
Old 03-25-2019, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default Find the cause ...

That's exactly right ... Experienced the same issue with my garage ... no vapor barrier under the concrete ... = I'm screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrumpley View Post
I wonder why the epoxy failed, poor installation, poor product, or maybe hydraulic pressure from underneath (no vapor barrier below the concrete)? I would try to get that figured out before deciding your path forward.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Keep in mind, if you decide to do epoxy, prep is the most important piece of the puzzle. It determines 100% whether you have a successful installation, or not. Diamond grind, or find someone that does shot blasting, or some other dry blast. Avoid acid etching. You will never completely neutralize the acid, and it could come back to bite you on the a**! Also, just about zero tract homes will have a vapor barrier under the slab in a garage, but there are manufacturers of epoxies that have a moisture vapor resistant primer that you can use to overcome this issue. Other than that, ALL brands of 100% solids epoxy are virtually the same once cured. Just different characteristics when handling like pot life, etc. No reason to shy away from them.

Rick
Old 03-26-2019, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront49 View Post
That's exactly right ... Experienced the same issue with my garage ... no vapor barrier under the concrete ... = I'm screwed.
There is an option. As I responded previously, I put down porcelain tile as I also had the concrete sweating issues and that caused issues with my previous floor covering. The tile has been great, easy to clean, strong and nice looking. I went with 2’x2’ tiles with the correct hardness ratings.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I put black and white vc tile about $1.00 a sq ft
Old 03-26-2019, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Strip it down and start over.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

novasscnc, what is vc tile? Viet Cong or what?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Vinyl Composition. But be careful, it has issues with moisture vapor transmission same as epoxy coatings do.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
Vinyl Composition. But be careful, it has issues with moisture vapor transmission same as epoxy coatings do.
Good consideration. Chances are your original floor failed due to moisture coming up through the concrete floor. There probably isn't a vapor barrier under the floor, in which case any seal on the floor is doomed. Your choices in that case are to grind off the old failed sealer and leave it concrete or cover it with one of the vinyl puzzle tile covers like race deck. Any of the ones that leave a full sealed cover could cause further concrete damage.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, there are actually two part epoxy primers that can handle up to 20 lbs./ 1,000 s.f./ 24 hrs. of moisture vapor transmission without failing. You'd have to have a situation where anything, boxes, mats, drip pans, set on the concrete would have standing water under them in pretty short order.

Rick
Old 03-27-2019, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Probably difficult to tell what condition the concrete surface is in under the failing epoxy paint but if you don't see cracks or other major defects, diamond polishing is also another floor finish possibility. You see this a lot in big box stores and grocery stores where the exposed concrete surface has been polished to a fine, somewhat glossy finish. It also hardens the surface so it's pretty durable unless prone to dropping transmissions or rear ends on it.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I put black and white vc tile in mine a little maintenance but less than $1.00 a sq ft
Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mine, small block FORD
Not Ranked     
Default Hey sport, how about.....

So,
Go down to your local tool rental place and get an Edco or some other brand of floor grinder, tell them what you are cleaning off and they will set you up with the proper inserts for stripping off the coating, get the vacuum too, makes clean up a snap. Your garage should take a Saturday or so to clean up, yourself, for a fraction of what someone is going to charge you to do it, they don't really know anything special they just have the machine but you can too the equipment is available...
I have used it, check out Edco's website its pretty easy. No, I don't work for them.
You can paint it yourself too, my garage floor is in a lovely shade of light green, I had Home Depot tint some of there Behr floor paint, it gets pretty hard use and has stood up well for years, it doesn't like strong solvents like lacquer thinner but oil is not a problem just wipe it up. The other good thing is if you damage it, just get out a brush or roller and touch it up. Works for me, it looks nice but my garage is for building stuff too... it's not just a display case, although there are display cases in there too....hmmmm...... functional and looks good....inexpensive to do too.....nice, very nice
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

VC tile is what you see in the grocery stores, wall marts easy to put down when its waxed look great