Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2019, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Garage flooring to cover failed epoxy

I bought a home that has a failed DIY epoxy floor coating in the three car garage. It is lifting and peeling all over. I can have it ground down for about .85 per foot and then recoated.

But, I was thinking about just covering it up with something like snap together tiles, roll out covering, or? Any ideas that don't cost a fortune are welcomed!

Best quote on a grind off and recoat is around $2000 for base epoxy. More for fancier finish. I was hoping to spend about 1/2 that.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Swisstrax, high quality product that holds up extremely well. Your budget may have to be flexible as a three car garage might be closer to 1500 all in.

www.swisstrax.com
mln385 likes this.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 03-20-2019, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Swiss Trax is fantastic but pricey depending on style and finish. Epoxy May still be cheaper but I do love my Swiss trax
Old 03-20-2019, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Posted before but anyway FWIW. Had race deck and -1 how do you wipe up oil spill? you take the tiles back up and clean. -2 how do you stop the tiles from moving when you turn wheels when vehicle is not moving? you don't.-3 How do you stop big movement due to expansion and contraction? You don't. How I solved was put down ceramic tile. Now can stop and turn wheel on bus motorhome without floor moving. Spills wipe up easy. Got 12" tiles in Mexico for 50 cents apiece. Used half thickness of thin set to put down so weight of bus will not crack, it's working been down 8 years. Bus weights 50,000 lbs. Put 4 post lift right on top of tiles and no problems. Cut tiles around two post lift , mill, lathe. Rest of equipment goes on top of tile. Welding over floor just put down welding blanket. 2800 sq foot garage was $3000.00
Dimis, Gaz64, Jaydee and 1 others like this.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Epoxy for me, I don't like any hollow plastic tile.

If you spill liquid or loose a c clip etc on a solid sealed floor, you can fix the issue.

Gary
joyridin' and spdbrake like this.

Last edited by Gaz64; 03-21-2019 at 04:34 AM..
Old 03-21-2019, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #828
Not Ranked     

I wonder why the epoxy failed, poor installation, poor product, or maybe hydraulic pressure from underneath (no vapor barrier below the concrete)? I would try to get that figured out before deciding your path forward.
Pete Munroe, DanEC and ront49 like this.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrumpley View Post
I wonder why the epoxy failed, poor installation, poor product, or maybe hydraulic pressure from underneath (no vapor barrier below the concrete)? I would try to get that figured out before deciding your path forward.
Poor floor prep. The floor needs to be spotlessly clean and slightly etched or the epoxy won't bond properly.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

I suggest looking into dry ice media blasting as a good way to remove the previous coating without damaging the substrate and with little mess except for the old epoxy. I have seen this process in action and it is pretty amazing how tidy it is. Once removed you can etch the flour per the coating manufacturers specs and apply your new epoxy.
Frank
Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipB View Post
I bought a home that has a failed DIY epoxy floor coating in the three car garage. It is lifting and peeling all over. I can have it ground down for about .85 per foot and then recoated.

But, I was thinking about just covering it up with something like snap together tiles, roll out covering, or? Any ideas that don't cost a fortune are welcomed!

Best quote on a grind off and recoat is around $2000 for base epoxy. More for fancier finish. I was hoping to spend about 1/2 that.
If you're thinking of tiles, Costco has some that owners are apparently pretty happy with - rating them about 4.5/5. Available in: 1) Black & White; 2) Charcoal; and 3) Black & Alloy.

$40 off per box of 48 square feet until March 29.

Nice photos on the product page - polished Kirkham Cobra, GT40 and a street rod.

https://www.costco.com/MotoFloor-Mod...100009181.html
Old 03-21-2019, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
If you're thinking of tiles, Costco has some that owners are apparently pretty happy with - rating them about 4.5/5. Available in: 1) Black & White; 2) Charcoal; and 3) Black & Alloy.

$40 off per box of 48 square feet until March 29.

Nice photos on the product page - polished Kirkham Cobra, GT40 and a street rod.

https://www.costco.com/MotoFloor-Mod...100009181.html
Those tiles are made by Race Deck for Costco. They are thinner than the regular Race Deck tiles and stain quickly from the compounds in high performance tires. I used them once and it drove me crazy with the staining.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Strongly disagree on the poor review of Race Deck. If properly installed (allow a small gap at walls for thermal expansion) they are unaffected by temperature changes, and the stuff about shifting wheen a car's wheels are turned also points to a poor installation. Pricey, but done right they can turn a garage into a man cave.
RaceDeck, Ron61 and cycleguy55 like this.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Tile works great for me. Just make sure it’s the correct hardness and has some non-slip attributes.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Had reps from race deck to my house to solve problems and they suggested putting screws through tile into concrete which we did in several places. I then pulled bus into garage and carefully applied brakes and whole floor moved. Had 1/2" gap around edge's like called for, spilled some oil and had to take up section. Knew the screws would not work but also knew I was going with ceramic tile anyway. If race deck type product works for someone that's good, just did not work for me. Put epoxy floor coating in garage at one of my rental houses and I don't think it's the same as it used to be. EPA has something to do with that. One more reason I went with tile. Easy to mop floor and with some pine-sol in water ,cleans oil drips and spills up great. Only problem is it's slippery when wet but air dry's real quick. Sold race deck to fellow member here for cheap to help him out. FWIW
Jaydee likes this.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Picture is worth a thousand words. Four post on top of tile. Been rainy here and I forgot how much easier tile floor is to clean up after bringing in wet cars

https://imgur.com/a/4r6YSqs
66gtk likes this.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I put down RaceDeck and it provides a nice floor but I did discover two issues. First, I couldn't get loaded car dollies to roll across it with out extreme effort. Second, water does easily penetrate the joints and sit on the concrete if you pull wet cars in your garage. I found that up when I was forced to pull up a section of my floor so I can roll my ERA I store against the side on caster dollies and found water pooled underneath from my Lightnings air conditioner drainage and once when I parked it outside and it rained and I pulled it back in without drying it off. Since I have my 66 Vette and 67 GTX in there also that moisture is not something I want in my garage.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have had the race deck tile on my garage floor for about 15 years and only have two complaints. I couldn't get a flat tile back when I got mine and it has that diamond plate finish which makes it very hard to roll anything heavy over it. The water getting through can be an issue but I don't drive my cars when it is wet so that really hasn't bothered me. I have never had a problem with it moving or twisting while I am stunning the car wheels and I put the tile down myself. I have thought about taking it up and trying to get rid of that diamond plate type bump but I tried it on an extra piece and when I ground it off it looked crappy. I used a red and white pattern.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

What about the rolled mat that Costco sells? Has anyone had experience with that?

Cheers
Greg
Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 SOHC
Neutral     

I had Race Deck down for a while and really disliked it. It gets dirty easily, has an awful sound and it certainly is not cheap. I ultimately went with a vinyl glue down tile that works well. Easy to sweep with a shop broom and looks good. It has been down now for about 10 years and I would do the same thing again.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #828
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I put down RaceDeck and it provides a nice floor but I did discover two issues. First, I couldn't get loaded car dollies to roll across it with out extreme effort. Second, water does easily penetrate the joints and sit on the concrete if you pull wet cars in your garage. I found that up when I was forced to pull up a section of my floor so I can roll my ERA I store against the side on caster dollies and found water pooled underneath from my Lightnings air conditioner drainage and once when I parked it outside and it rained and I pulled it back in without drying it off. Since I have my 66 Vette and 67 GTX in there also that moisture is not something I want in my garage.
That was my experience with it as well. I installed epoxy/urethane in my new garage and love it.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Ron - I bought the coin pattern tile and I think I prefer it a little over the diamond plate. I don't usually pull cars in wet in this garage but the condensor in my Lightning does drain water on the floor when I've been running it. Since I had to pull a rectangular section out so I can get my ERA in and out, it's not a big problem as the Lightning parks on top of the opening in the tile.

Kind of a bastardized flooring outcome but works for now. I don't have trouble with the tile moving - drop a 4-post lift on top of it and it won't go anywhere.