• 1 Post By spdbrake
  • 1 Post By Dwight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1997 LAE / B&B Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default 427FE B&B- Can anyone identify my suspension?

I just purchased a 1997 B&B in great shape from a consigner in California. I am looking to overhaul the suspension, as it sits too low and the tires rub the fender lip. Does anyone recognize this setup that can recommend new adjustable Coilovers that will bolt right in?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure of the brand, but those are after-market LCAs for Mustang II suspension. Those generally come in two types - the ones you have and the ones that eliminate the trailing arm.

Coilovers for those suspensions are made by a bunch of companies. Mine are from QA1. They have excellent technical support and it's worth reaching out to them. They'll need basic information about installed height, mounting angle and corner / axle weights in order to recommend springs. You'll need to decide whether you want single-adjustable or double-adjustable.

BTW, make sure you get steel bushings - the nylon ones in my coilovers were pounded out and had to be replaced as they were getting quite sloppy.

Good luck with your decision. Enjoy the car.
1997-B&B-427 likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These B&B threads from this site should help.

With Part numbers:
B&B suspension upgrade ?

If you use the forum search engine. Advanced search, keyword: Shocks, and choose the B&B forums you'll get around 20 or so threads related the shocks and info, springs rates, adjusting, etc....
The same goes if you search for the keyword: springs.
1997-B&B-427 likes this.

Last edited by spdbrake; 06-18-2019 at 06:25 AM..
Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Looking at the picture it looks like your coil springs are to short.

Are the adjusters at the top of the threaded part of the shock?

Buy longer coil springs (maybe 2") and use all the other parts to raise the ride height.
1997-B&B-427 likes this.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1997 LAE / B&B Roadster
Not Ranked     

@cycleguy55 I think QA1 is the way to go too, there are two sizes for Mustang II coils, stock 7/16" and 1/2" ID, guess I'll have to take a coil out of the car to know for sure.

@spdbrake Thanks for the tip I have now scoured the B&B subforum for all kinds of other issues I have too.

@Dwight yes they are short! the driver's side coil is totally maxed out, the passenger has some thread left but the car sits level as-is. I am told the springs are 600# which should be correct for an FE car according to most threads on this forum. I think they are just too short as well. Being a 20+ year old build I think I want to just replace the units as a whole.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Do you have aluminum heads and intake? Aluminum water pump?

If so your weight is not much more than a small block. Lighter spring equal softer ride unless you are racing your Cobra.

If your B&B twitches (swerves) as you cross bridges on the interstate (60 to 80 mph) then lower your rear springs by 50 lbs. Common problem with B&Bs.

Great cars and one of the best riding, steering, driving Cobras I have ever driven including mine.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Could you post a picture of your front tire / wheel well?
Old 06-19-2019, 07:39 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowan Replicars, 352 4V
Not Ranked     

I have the same front suspension on my replica. You have a Ford Pinto cross member (can tell by the large holes) with upgraded tubular control arms (stock length?). When I received my project, I had front wheel rub problems, so I installed a set of 7/8" shorter upper control arms and redrilled the lower control mounts one inch back. Modified the steering rack and this tucks in the front wheels quite a bit. You can also get 1" shorter upper and lower control arms, very popular on Hot Rods that use Mustang 2 suspension and need to reduce the front track width. I'm and also using Mustang 2/Pinto QA1 adjustable coilovers that allow me to set rebound\compression and ride height.

Regarding the strut rods, I have thought about removing mine, but I need to verify how the tab (strut rod delete control arms) can be welded to the pinto cross member. Since my car has a very heavy original 352 4V, I am running 600lb front springs, and these springs are custom made to fit the Pinto upper spring housing. My car is pretty well balanced, and also has a Jaguar rear end with dual 250lb springs per side. It also looks like you have Carerra steel bodied single adjustable shocks, these only allow ride height and have fixed valving, and are also a common Pinto\Mustang 2 shock upgrade. One of the issues with a heavy FE motor is nose dive when braking, and this can be controlled with shocks that have adjustable valving and the correct spring rate.

I have these shocks, and you can order different spring rates with the kit.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/QA1-M...SABEgJ8C_D_BwE

Rowan Replicars 1965 Cobra Replica
352 4V, T5, Jaguar Posi rear end with 3.30 gears.
https://www.facebook.com/pormgb/

Last edited by pormgb; 06-19-2019 at 07:50 PM..
Old 06-20-2019, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997-B&B-427 View Post
@cycleguy55 I think QA1 is the way to go too, there are two sizes for Mustang II coils, stock 7/16" and 1/2" ID, guess I'll have to take a coil out of the car to know for sure.

@spdbrake Thanks for the tip I have now scoured the B&B subforum for all kinds of other issues I have too.

@Dwight yes they are short! the driver's side coil is totally maxed out, the passenger has some thread left but the car sits level as-is. I am told the springs are 600# which should be correct for an FE car according to most threads on this forum. I think they are just too short as well. Being a 20+ year old build I think I want to just replace the units as a whole.
My QA1 springs are marked 465 - presumably lbs/inch. I'm unable to find that spec in the current QA1 catalogue, but my car was built in 1991 and they could be original to that date. Regardless, based upon my experience when I replaced the rear shocks, QA1 tech support is really good at sorting out what you need.