21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2019, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     
Default Any Hi-tech guys out there?

Just picked up Hi-tech body and chassis! First question, which rear end? Spent some time looking on line, not much on Hi-tech.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Albert
If it's a high tech out of Arizona I'll try to help you if I can I started hi-tech in 1980 sold it. Then hired by Shelby September '94
Tom
Old 06-28-2019, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     

WOW! Thanks,that would be awsome!

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes. I purchased mine in early 1994.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Here is a link to my 5 year Hi-Tech build.

Alloy Hi-Tech Build

Craig Coombe (Cobrakiwi) did an amazing jog and he should be able to help you out. I went with a Kirkham differential and original style halfshafts.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mongoose,
I purchased this body/chassis from craig. He been fantastic to deal with!
Been to your build link and read it through several times, awesome car!
1985 CCX likes this.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HTM101, which rear end? You wouldn't be on west coast, i'd like to see one up close.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

I would suggest one of our bracket kits for the jag diff or look at Tom's (Tjd) setup for a C3 diff.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427SSSS View Post
HTM101, which rear end? You wouldn't be on west coast, i'd like to see one up close.
9" Ford IRS. I'm on the right coast.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default GT 40 body

Tjd, awsome, thanks, I will get chassis number off chassis, a we can move forward from there.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjd View Post
Albert
If it's a high tech out of Arizona I'll try to help you if I can I started hi-tech in 1980 sold it. Then hired by Shelby September '94
Tom
Hi Tom,
My Hi-Tech project is back on track. Got some questions for you.
1. My HT Door skins and HT door frames are not fitting well. See in the photo the top tube will not fit into the skin. Any ideas?
2. The door frame radius doesn't match the body radius. Any ideas?

Old 02-15-2021, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default doors

Will try to help you the best I can the way I mounted the door frames to the doors hood and trunk was to rivet flashing on it like you would do if you were doing an aluminum skin then bonded the flashing to the door skin you have to make sure it contour to the shape of the door or hood trunk skins and that’s the way we did it on the 4000 cars then we drop the flashing made the frames a little closer to the door and then just bonding them on with 3M of which I can’t remember what we used.
fitting the doors before you put the skins on it this goes for hood and trunk I will try to find a picture that I have sent someone else clamp a piece of aluminum to the door frame and line it up like it’s the leading edge of the door and then open the door and see if it clears the body as it opens if it doesn’t you have to move the hinge pins either out closer to the outer skin or forward.
The upper steering column shift is 30-3/4”long
Hope you can understand my rambling I talk to my phone so If something doesn’t sound right it’s the phones fault.
Tom
hi-tech cobra likes this.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Talk to Mongoose, he knows all abot the doors.
He would be full of great insight along with Craig Combs who has built a bunch bot alloy, glass and hybrid.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     

It's hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the top of the door skin needs to go over the top of the frame more and that should make the bottom tube come closer to the skin. I've always welded the hinge mount after the skin and frame are fitted and bonded together. My guess is the hinge pad on your frame isn't welded on in the correct place based on the way the point near the steering is almost hitting the body.

I've only done a couple Hi-Tech's but I used Lord's Fusor to bond the frame to the skin. They have several different formulas, I've only tried this one.
https://www.jbtools.com/lord-fusor-1...ow-set-10-1-oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-tech cobra View Post
Hi Tom,
1. My HT Door skins and HT door frames are not fitting well. See in the photo the top tube will not fit into the skin. Any ideas?

Old 02-19-2021, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-tech cobra View Post
Hi Tom,

Just a thought. If the top of that skin is to be wrapped around the top tube. Grind any bigger lumps out of the inside of the groove. Then use some spring clamps to try to force the glass on to the tube. Then you can use some heat from a heat gun. The heat makes the fiber glass more pliable and should hold its place when cooled. Also I think it need some flashing wrapped around the tube and rivetted to the tube . Glue is then used to glue the skin to the flashing. You will have to make sure the tube frame fits the body opening before doing this . The frame might have to be reshaped and or rewelded to the hinge to get the tube frame fitting the door opening the right way. See if you can find a picture of how an original cars door skin is attached. You will then have the right idea. Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Kris,
So you think by moving the hinge plate the door frame that's mismatched to the body will come in line? How much of the curved lip should I remove? Im thinking if that were trimmed way back the door frame might fit inside.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
Just a thought. If the top of that skin is to be wrapped around the top tube. Grind any bigger lumps out of the inside of the groove. Then use some spring clamps to try to force the glass on to the tube. Then you can use some heat from a heat gun. The heat makes the fiber glass more pliable and should hold its place when cooled. Also I think it need some flashing wrapped around the tube and rivetted to the tube . Glue is then used to glue the skin to the flashing. You will have to make sure the tube frame fits the body opening before doing this . The frame might have to be reshaped and or rewelded to the hinge to get the tube frame fitting the door opening the right way. See if you can find a picture of how an original cars door skin is attached. You will then have the right idea. Hope this helps.
Thanks MAStuart! I'll try all that.

Do I need to glass in the alum flashing to the door skin after gluing like the CSX 4000 cars?
Old 02-19-2021, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am not sure how a csx 4000 is done. But it would not hurt to glass the skin to the flashing. See if you can find some pictures of how an original aluminum car door skin were installed. They were wrapped around the tube at the top and rivetted to it . The sides and bottom were crimped on like most normal car door skins are installed. To do that is why you have to attach the flashing around the sides and bottom of the tube frame. The flashing is rivetted to the steel tubing frame. You will be doing the same thing. But instead of crimping the skin on you will be using glue or fiber glass. You will also have to make sure the Tube frame is the right shape.
Get started by seeing if you can get the skin over the top tube.

Last edited by MAStuart; 02-19-2021 at 02:46 PM..
Old 02-19-2021, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I spent some time looking for you . Here is a link here a club cobra . It shows how the skins are attached. Make sure you look at both pages. Should get you on the right track.
Made An Aluminum Hood For My Hi-Tech Cobra
Old 02-20-2021, 09:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great tips thanks brothers! Working on it now, will let you know what happens.