• 1 Post By Sailfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Side pipe adjustment

One of my side pipes is not properly centered in the cutout. It used to rub a bit on start-up, but has gotten worse and needs to be corrected.

What's the easiest way to correct this? Decrease the bend in the collectors? What's the easiest way to measure how much?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

I think your choices are:
1/ Cut the hole slightly bigger.
2/ heat the side pipes and bend them slightly.
3/ Space the engine mounts.
4/ Shorten the header pipes slightly where the side pipes fit.

Which one you choose depends on you exact situation.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

If the problem is getting worse, something is changing. Could be the rubber in the engine mount is deteriorating and needs to be replaced ?

Ted
Old 06-15-2017, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Check your motor mounts; replace with urethane-based. If that doesn't reset the gaps properly then use 1/16" or 1/8" spacers. Either of these fixes may impact your hood clearance some so be prepared to monitor that as well.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There has never been a lot of clearance on that side (passenger), but there was always a gap. The other side is fine, so raising the engine would solve a problem and create another. The motor is coming out (see my thread on the metal I found in the oil pan) so I can inspect the mounts and possibly replace them with urethane mounts. I have OE style rubber mounts now.

My guess is that bending the pipes will work best, but will be more finicky to get right as I'll have to have someone bend them. Any suggestion as to the best way to measure the amount of bend I need so I can get a shop to bend it right the first time?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 06-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

You need to shim the mount on the low side, leave the other side alone (although it will change slightly with the other side shimmed) and do use a good urethane mount. The urethane will allow less "rocking" and reduce the engine movement.

Bending the inputs to the side pipe will be difficult as they are welded to the collector and are a "unit". It would be easier to bend the header pipes "up" a like amount and allow that to reposition the side pipe in the opening.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I'm not completely sure this will apply but have you checked to see if your engine is sitting level in the chassis from side to side.? My ERA may not be comparable but the engine could be rocked quite a few degrees from one side to the other on the pedestal mounts. I used a level across the intake and the engine hoist to lift it slightly on the low side to rock it into level position before I tightened the mounts to the frame. If you have quite a bit of clearance on the other side at the bottom this might be something to try.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
You need to shim the mount on the low side, leave the other side alone (although it will change slightly with the other side shimmed) and do use a good urethane mount. The urethane will allow less "rocking" and reduce the engine movement.

Bending the inputs to the side pipe will be difficult as they are welded to the collector and are a "unit". It would be easier to bend the header pipes "up" a like amount and allow that to reposition the side pipe in the opening.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at the size of shim required to sufficiently move the pipe before I pull the engine. Any recommendations on urethane motor mounts? I found these on Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...view/make/ford

www.partskeeper.com

Last edited by dcdoug; 06-15-2017 at 10:43 AM..
Old 06-15-2017, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I'm not completely sure this will apply but have you checked to see if your engine is sitting level in the chassis from side to side.? My ERA may not be comparable but the engine could be rocked quite a few degrees from one side to the other on the pedestal mounts. I used a level across the intake and the engine hoist to lift it slightly on the low side to rock it into level position before I tightened the mounts to the frame. If you have quite a bit of clearance on the other side at the bottom this might be something to try.
I'll take a look at this too. Visually looks level (side to side), but I'll check it with an actual level.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 06-15-2017, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     
Default motor mounts

I purchased a set of urethane motor mounts from Olthoff Racing in Mt. Ulla, NC. for my Superformance. They were easy to install and fit like a glove. Not the cheapest, but definitely well made. I have over 10,000 miles on them and they look, and act, like brand new.
dcdoug likes this.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     

Never been a fan of the slip fit header to side pipe.... Could yours be loose or sagging??
Old 06-15-2017, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Street Beasts Cobra 427 S/C, 502 cid
Not Ranked     

The Street Beasts version of slip fit headers/side pipes uses brackets to hold the side pipes tightly to the headers. The brackets are joined together with a small bolt. If the bolt backs out, then the side pipes can begin to fall away from the headers. They won't separate completely, though, because the side pipe supports won't allow them to move that far downward. However, they'll sag to the point where it's noticeable from the side of the car. Have you checked to verify that the side pipes are not starting to separate from the header pipes?
Old 06-15-2017, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520SC View Post
The Street Beasts version of slip fit headers/side pipes uses brackets to hold the side pipes tightly to the headers. The brackets are joined together with a small bolt. If the bolt backs out, then the side pipes can begin to fall away from the headers. They won't separate completely, though, because the side pipe supports won't allow them to move that far downward. However, they'll sag to the point where it's noticeable from the side of the car. Have you checked to verify that the side pipes are not starting to separate from the header pipes?
I'll take a look at that. That might be the reason for the decreased clearance.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 07-07-2019, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA761 428FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Doug,

I just noticed this on my car, what method worked for you and how did you repair the body damage caused by the side pipe?

Thanks!

Steve O
ERA761
Old 07-07-2019, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I am curious on this thread... I just bought CSX 6079 (i get the car in september) I am not happy with the primary pipes as they have several welds instead of being one piece design with a pipe bender. My ERA primary pipes and side pipes are excellent quality. I am considering using ERA primary and side pipes on my CSX because of this issue. I am confident they will fit because the foot boxes are bigger in the ERA than the CSX. I may need to shim the steering rack or make slight mods to the drivers side heat shield over the brake/clutch master cylinder. But overall I think the bodys of the ERA and the CSX are almost identical.. any one here tried this yet?

And by looking at your condition, somthing has changed. Is it possible the motor mont bolts to chassis are loose and the motor has shifted? Also ERA puts a bolt and a nyloc through the motor mount to prevent flex... look at this

Left engine mount modifications
Old 07-08-2019, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had original rubber motor mounts and one of them was starting to collapse. I replaced both with solid motor mounts from cobrakiwi (very high quality pieces). My passenger side motor mount was previously shimmed about 1/8" and it made sense to leave it that way. After putting the headers and side pipes back on, but before tightening them up, I loosened up the motor mounts and used a transmission jack and 2x4 to tweak how the motor sat on the chassis to center the pipes in the cut out. It's perfect now.

I haven't repaired the fiberglass at the bottom of the cutout. It's not very noticeable. I'll probably do it someday.

www.partskeeper.com