Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   bronze gears (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/142616-bronze-gears.html)

hauss 07-29-2019 07:43 PM

bronze gears

I Installed a bronze gear on my msd, because it was recommended to me by a friend, who races mustangs and has been around for a while. I have roller rockers and lifters, and it is a stroker motor. He said it was a lot less work to change a distributor gear, than a camshaft. Just wandering what others think because, I have read other post that say put a steal gear in the distributor.%/

HighPlainsDrifter 07-29-2019 08:14 PM

Go steel

Hi,
bronze gears are for race engines that get torn down every month and changed out. They don't last in a street car and will fail and leave you stranded with metal shavings in your engine.

Perry:cool:

Gaz64 07-29-2019 08:32 PM

Get a steel gear to match, other wise you will need to inspect the bronze gear every few thousand miles. High volume oil pumps, and high oil pressure reduce the gear life.

Gary

hauss 07-29-2019 10:56 PM

Ok now for the real question if not sure what cam is made of what gear would be the safest to install.Keep in mind I do not mind working on my car if it will make it last.I already change oil every 3 months or 2000 miles. yes I know that is crazy but it helps me sleep at night. Also it does see 6200 rpms quite often.For some reason I just can not help it.:D

Sawdust 07-30-2019 01:28 AM

If you want to be safe find out what your camshaft manufacturer recommends

Karl Bebout 07-30-2019 01:32 AM

I went with a composit(aka,plastic) hear and have not had an issue. My hydraulic roller cam is not very radical, (Webers)
Thoughts appreciated. Am I looking for trouble?

blykins 07-30-2019 02:37 AM

No bronze, no polymer, no plastic.

This is really easy....if it’s a cast iron core camshaft, use a cast iron gear. If it’s a steel core cam, use a steel gear.

The others will wear in short order.

Gaz64 07-30-2019 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauss (Post 1464928)
I Installed a bronze gear on my msd, because it was recommended to me by a friend, who races mustangs and has been around for a while. I have roller rockers and lifters, and it is a stroker motor. He said it was a lot less work to change a distributor gear, than a camshaft. Just wandering what others think because, I have read other post that say put a steal gear in the distributor.%/

Now reading your opening again, I see no mention of the camshaft material.
So your friend recommended a bronze gear WITHOUT knowing what the camshaft is made of?

Steel camshaft, steel or bronze gear. Steel is the best choice.

Cast iron camshaft flat tappet, cast distributor gear.

Gary

patrickt 07-30-2019 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz64 (Post 1464940)
So your friend recommended a bronze gear WITHOUT knowing what the camshaft is made of?

That's like the cobbler who always recommends wing tips. Of course, he also only sells wing tips....:LOL:

hauss 07-30-2019 09:50 AM

He was trying to be safe and thought it would be a better to change a bronze gear than a worn camshaft gear. I am not saying this was the best way to go . I am saying not knowing the material the cam is what is the best way to go.Only because I have read on this site that bronze gears or not good .

blykins 07-30-2019 09:52 AM

You can tell by looking at the camshaft if it's iron or billet. If you have the cam card you can also tell by the serial number in most cases.

For instance, in Comp Cams lingo, a -9 or a -11 on the end of the cam part number indicates a steel core.

Anthony 07-30-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauss (Post 1464933)
Ok now for the real question if not sure what cam is made of what gear would be the safest to install.Keep in mind I do not mind working on my car if it will make it last.I already change oil every 3 months or 2000 miles. yes I know that is crazy but it helps me sleep at night. Also it does see 6200 rpms quite often.For some reason I just can not help it.:D

With a roller camshaft, I bet your cam is steel.
With each oil change, you can pull the distributor, and check the gear wear, and replace as necessary.

hauss 07-30-2019 03:01 PM

I am going to stay with the bronze and check on it every 6 months The car is race car that just dosen"t get used everyday or on a track very often:cool:

HighPlainsDrifter 07-30-2019 03:02 PM

oil pump

Hi,
your cam gear also turns the oil pump. So if you have a high volume pump and or 20/50 oil in the engine the stress is huge on the cam gear. I have seen a gear fail on start up when cold, the owner just revved the engine and that was it with thick oil.
Perry:cool:

hauss 07-30-2019 04:09 PM

I do not know if it is billet, or not so based on that I will keep the bronze gear. I also use 15/40 and let engine warm before I drive it.The oil arguement is one that can go on forever so I do not wish to go down that road let me just say I did my research and for me that was the best option. My oil pressure readings are always perfect no mater the temp even idle pressure stays right were it should.:cool:

eschaider 07-30-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauss (Post 1464961)
I am going to stay with the bronze and check on it every 6 months The car is race car that just dosen"t get used everyday or on a track very often:cool:

To run bronze on anything but a pure race car is to unnecessarily tempt fate. Shoot for the happy ending by not using bronze. The name of the ending says it all ...

Ed

Gaz64 07-30-2019 04:36 PM

I have a paperweight bronze gear that is "75%" worn with the gear tips worn to almost knife edges.
How long before the teeth would break off? Could have been the next engine start.

I don't use bronze any more, on anything.

Why do transmissions have steel gears against steel gears?

Gary

patrickt 07-30-2019 05:05 PM

hauss - why would you put your engine at risk over a fifteen minute, $75 part, swap out? :confused:

Dwight 07-30-2019 05:56 PM

hauss let us know how much it cost to replace the bearings and flush all bronze filings out of the oil passages in the block. And if you have rubber hoses for a remote oil filter you will have to replace them and flush the cooler. Hope you can get all that crap out of your motor.

eschaider 07-30-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1464967)
hauss - why would you put your engine at risk over a fifteen minute, $75 part, swap out? :confused:

I'd bet you could buy just the steel or cast iron gear for less than or equal to the price a five quart jug of oil at Wally World ...

Ed