LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default 2020 Shelby GT 500 Hp - Torque published

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/18/ford...lby-gt500.html

The Mustang Shelby GT350 is no slouch at 526 Hp.

The Mustang Shelby GT500 at 760 Hp and 625 foot-lbs of torque is the most ever in a production car sold by Ford. All this out of a 5.2 Ltr engine. Now if that don't impress all you boys with your big blocks and big cocks, I say your all talk.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

760 HP /625 Ft-Lb of torque...….welcome to 5 years ago.

Lebanon Ford (LFP ) has been selling new Mustang GT's from their lot and performance shop
with those numbers and more for years. LFP's twin turbo Mustang Hellion pumps out 850 HP
delivered complete for $55K. LPF:10 is a 10 second drag Mustang with 850 HP for $60K.

2020 GT500 likely weighs in at +4200 lbs so she's got a fat caboose.

I'm sure it's a tight package with all the frills but it's not groundbreaking.

Last edited by Unique427; 06-19-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Old 06-19-2019, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique427 View Post

My feeling also - it will drive like a pig. It will be quicker than my GT350 (which also is too heavy) in a straight line if it can find any traction and doesn't blow out the differential - but 4200 lbs and an automatic in a performance pony car - not exactly Total Performance. Might as well buy one of those over-sized Challenger Demons and get a manual transmission for significantly less than Ford dealers will be selling GT500s for.
Ron61 likes this.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I think the ecoboost (twin turbo 3.5l V6) in the Ford GT was doing 700+ HP out of a V6. That being said hats off to fords answer to the hellcat mopar, what is chebby doing, the vette?? none of the others (GM & Mopar) have an answer for the 2019 Ford GT
Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Lebanon Ford (LFP ) has been selling new Mustang GT's from their lot and performance shop
with those numbers and more for years. LFP's twin turbo Mustang Hellion pumps out 850 HP
delivered complete for $55K. LPF:10 is a 10 second drag Mustang with 850 HP for $60K.

GT350R is <3,700 lbs. https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mu...0-gt350r/specs

What do you think is going to add 500+ pounds to the GT500, when the hood and fenders are made of lightweight composites?
Old 06-20-2019, 03:36 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
GT350R is <3,700 lbs. https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mu...0-gt350r/specs

What do you think is going to add 500+ pounds to the GT500, when the hood and fenders are made of lightweight composites?
Supercharger and intercooler, pipes, hoses, etc. 100# +/-
7 speed DC trans vs. 6 speed manual 50# +/-
misc. stuff 50# +/-

My guess is 3950#
cycleguy55 likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-20-2019, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/18/ford...lby-gt500.html

The Mustang Shelby GT350 is no slouch at 526 Hp.

The Mustang Shelby GT500 at 760 Hp and 625 foot-lbs of torque is the most ever in a production car sold by Ford. All this out of a 5.2 Ltr engine.
Yes , pretty impressive for a production vehicle.

But, the more cubes you start with, the more torque / Hp you end up with !

Slap some turbos on a Viper V-10 8L, and it's easy to get 1200 Hp and beyond !!
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-20-2019, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Supercharger and intercooler, pipes, hoses, etc. 100# +/-
7 speed DC trans vs. 6 speed manual 50# +/-
misc. stuff 50# +/-

My guess is 3950#
Don't forget the 5'2" driver who will blip the throttle endlessly as he cruises the neighborhood (have come to hate the sound of a flat crank).
Old 06-20-2019, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I guess I'm all talk then... I've had big blocks and excessive 800 foot pounds of torque normally aspirated not like what you see here. I have had Buick v6 as well over 1400 horsepower will ever 1600 foot pounds of torque so please...

Today's latest generation of mustangs are no longer that they pony cars once they once were.. they are huge, comparable to an 80s sedan. oh, they're over 4000 lb, and the wheelbase has been stretched to put bigger people in the seats and to help save stability when driving these things.

Gone are the days of low 3000 pound vehicle wheel wheelbase less than a hundred inches.. it's a big sedan
Old 06-20-2019, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdata View Post
I guess I'm all talk then... I've had big blocks and excessive 800 foot pounds of torque normally aspirated not like what you see here. I have had Buick v6 as well over 1400 horsepower will ever 1600 foot pounds of torque so please...

Today's latest generation of mustangs are no longer that they pony cars once they once were.. they are huge, comparable to an 80s sedan. oh, they're over 4000 lb, and the wheelbase has been stretched to put bigger people in the seats and to help save stability when driving these things.

Gone are the days of low 3000 pound vehicle wheel wheelbase less than a hundred inches.. it's a big sedan
They're also safer, faster, more reliable, more comfortable and easier on gas.
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Sure, there have been dealerships modifying and selling cars all my life. Impressive cars. They are not production cars, no matter how you try to frame it. Apple and oranges. They do not compare.

What sour grapes! She's got a fat caboose? The curb weight on a 2019 GT is 3705 lb. The carbon fiber package is reported to be a 500 lb weight savings. So you think it will be 4200 lb. They would have to add a 1000 lb to the GT to end up at 4200 after the carbon fiber package. Ford does not have idiots engineering this stuff. They are not a bunch of clueless clowns.

They offer what may be the best Mustang ever, and you act like someone pi$$ed in your Cheerios. I do not get how a true car enthusiast can be so negative about this car. Maybe a bad day or just playing the devil's advocate?
ERA 626 and spdbrake like this.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

True true true. One true is to short to post.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

What kind of warranty does that come with?
And sorry, you can't buy a new Viper anymore.

Has no one adapted a Tesla's drivetrain to a Cobra (or other) kit car? Ludicrous power anyone?
Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdata View Post
Yes in the 60's and 70's, I remember race teams getting 1000, 1500 hp out of 500 cid blown engines on gasoline and alcohol. Top fuel was maybe 2000-2500. Hot rodders were always able to make power, but the production cars.....

The 427 FE was rated at 425 hp when they ran them on a dyno with open headers, no air cleaner, and no belts. Today they are rated as installed.

The best 428 was 360 Hp I believe. The Boss 429 was a disappointing 375 hp. Oh but they were underrated. Many armchair experts claim they were really 500 Hp. OK let's just accept that.

Let's just go to the holly grail, the 427 cammer was 657 Hp 575 lb-ft of torque. It was never sold in a car. Period. It was an over the parts counter item. We are talking a production car that will out do it by a decent margin. I would suspect it is less weight than the FE, as well. Even thought the cammer was piggy, I may have to eat crow on that one if we counted induction, after cooler, etc.

If this doesn't convince you, nothing will.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
Has no one adapted a Tesla's drivetrain to a Cobra (or other) kit car? Ludicrous power anyone?
There is nothing new about electric motors. They can be designed for any power rpm combo your heart desires. They got them up to 92% efficiency around 30 years ago. About 25 yrs ago they developed the frequency drives to the point they could outperform the DC motor in variable speed and torque applications. They are heavy pigs on a Hp/lb scale.

Batteries always existed to power them. We had electric fork trucks that could run for a 12 hr shift, 40 years ago. The problem was it was a 4500 lb battery that took 8 hrs to charge, pulling 150 amps on 460 volt 3 phase power. Nothing like changing batteries with a 2.5 ton chain hoist. EDIT: oh I forgot to mention the 12" wide solid filled block blast walls with no roof that form the battery recharging station. These batteries have enough power stored in them to be powerful bombs, and they have exploded on rare occasions. Usually operator error.

Today the motors are better, the drives are better, and someone finally figured out how to make a lighter battery. A cry for we have to save the planet, government subsidies, and we have a nice electric car that might survive.

I'm guessing you would end up with at least a 3500 lb Cobra. Bias fully admitted, and I pulled that out of my a$$. It's just that I am not going to waste my time getting real numbers for something that would make a Cobra everything that it is not, and undo everything that it is. Then it is going to sound like a Singer sowing machine going down the road.

To each their own, but if this idea excites you, you may want to reevaluate what do you see in a Cobra. I suspect looks only.

Last edited by olddog; 06-20-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Old 06-20-2019, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Well, don't forget that in my 2013 Car and Driver (still in the reading pile by the toilet) that gave advance pictures and info on the forthcoming 2015 Mustang, Ford was touting a 200 lb weight reduction over the 2013/2014 GT - just read it for the hundredth time the other day. Instead, the 2015 GT came in about 200 lbs heavier than the 2013/14 GT and the 19 GT is now over 3800 lbs (again according to C&D) and now outweighs the Camaro. A couple guys on the GT350 forum who weighed their GT350s showed they were also over 3800 lbs and the GT350Rs can be expected to be about 100 lbs lighter. Given Fords pattern with the new 2015 model and busting their early fake news by about 400 lbs, I don't have much faith the GT500 is going to be under 4100 lbs except maybe with the track package.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
There is nothing new about electric motors. They can be designed for any power rpm combo your heart desires. They got them up to 92% efficiency around 30 years ago. About 25 yrs ago they developed the frequency drives to the point they could outperform the DC motor in variable speed and torque applications. They are heavy pigs on a Hp/lb scale.

Today the motors are better, the drives are better, and someone finally figured out how to make a lighter battery.

There is nothing new about internal combustion motors. They can be designed for any power rpm combo your heart desires. They got them up to 25% efficiency around 30 years ago. They are heavy pigs on a Hp/lb scale.

Any consideration that the extra pounds in today's cars are structural...allowing people to text and drive and crash into innocent people and still walk away alive?

Progress is considering and investigating new ways of accomplishing needs and desires. What's the old saying, lead, follow, or get out of the way?
olddog likes this.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steam experts seem to believe that if the flash boiler had been invented while the Stanley was still in production, it would have beat out, both the electric car and internal combustion engine back then.

I would go on to say that it would compete today if the government subsidized it to the extent they have the electric car.

For 40 yrs I had read the article's on every hair brained to brilliant alternative. Each touted to be on the verge of mass production very soon. None has succeeded. Tesla looks to be the first, but the dope smoking genius behind it, seems to be struggling with reality at times. I haven't bought any stock yet. To me it looks too much like a gamble and not enough like an investment. I may regret that someday. Bigger risk = bigger reward, at the risk of a total loss.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dang you got my curiosity up enough to do a few google searches.

Typical industrial 250 hp 3600 rpm motor about 2700 lb. Now this will run at 250 Hp for years non stop.

Tesla's model S 362 hp motor weighs 70 lb. Now it likely can only do that for less than a minute, before it overheats, but it doesn't need to do any more.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
They're also safer, faster, more reliable, more comfortable and easier on gas.
Well sort of.. cuz it's actually misleading all the safety gadgets in the world won't make you a better driver nor a safer driver. There are far more accidents in these types of cars nowadays because it makes the drivers feel invincible because like you said they're safer which is bul****.

These cars are not nimble they need all this extra rooms to make him support the extra balloon weight they came out with. It's a freaking sedan coupe. I call the Shelby mustangs basically AMG Mercedes
cycleguy55 likes this.