Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Bad experience with Superformance?

I bought a new car three years ago and while the dealer is the best guy possible, the car has been totally unreliable. Today, after three years and maybe $8K in tow trucks, parts, and labor, I talked to one of the people from the organization. He blamed everyone but Superformance, including his parts suppliers. I was very disappointed.

A short list of things that have broken and the car is never driven hard, let alone raced. And by not hard, I mean not even spinning the tires. Slow and easy highway miles.

- Fan relay
- Power brake booster
- Master cylinder
- Wheel bearing
- Ball joints (because the shake was so bad)
- Throw out bearing
- Clutch
- Slave cylinder
- CV joint
- Both battery terminals broke
- Side pipe mount
- Short in gauges

Thank you

Last edited by Tciulla; 09-06-2019 at 02:23 PM..
Old 09-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

My first question would be...Did you buy a roller? Shortly followed by "Who did the motor instal? Of course, this wouldn't address all of the problems you're having, but certainly some of them.

I would add that I agree that there are a number of issues that are, in my opinion, issues that should be addressed by SPF. I've had a few electrical problems with my GT40, but that was an early production model of a low volume car, so I'm not too surprised. I would think SPF would have most of the issues worked out of the cobras by now.

My $ 0.2, FWIW.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"

Last edited by Igofastr; 09-06-2019 at 02:36 PM..
Old 09-06-2019, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I agree, anything drive train related should not be a SPF issue but the installer issue. But have several items listed that sould not happen to a new SPF... keep us posted.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

With a few exceptions most of the failures would fall on the independent suppliers of components - gages, brake booster, master cylinder, CV joints, slave cylinder, etc. Unfortunately most of these are anything but large scale suppliers like the big car manufacturer's use and most small, specialty car producers can't do a lot of in-house supplier QC. It's frustrating, and you may be having more than your share of teething issues but I think most owners of these cars go through the same thing in the first year or so of getting it up and running.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Good points Dan, but I think SPF has to take responsibility for the parts that they supply with their cars, regardless of whether SPF builds the part or procures it from a 3rd party.

That said, I can't say I remember the terms of the warranty that SPF provides. If parts fail after that period, I don't think anyone would have much recourse. I suppose it would be up to SPF to decide what "good will" is worth to them.

In all fairness, other low volume manufacturers suffer the same sorts of faults to one degree or another....OK, maybe not Koenigsegg or Bugatti.

Best of luck.
CompClassics likes this.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 09-06-2019, 07:49 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

This was a "New" Superformance Correct 0-100miles, brought from a Superformance Dealer ? What is the mileage now? One thing you learn about these cars quickly, if you have never owned anything like before, These are not Factory Corvette's, you have to keep them up. These cars rattle, shake, and things get loose. These Cobras try to tear them self's apart, just idling. also knowing your way around a toolbox, is a good idea, just to keep a eye on things, most of us like to turn wenches anyway Yea, Yea, not everyone. Maybe explain in a little more in detail, how and what broke when? Good Luck.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the madness I have a backdraft and yes I have spent many of nights working on the car. It is part of the experience . You half to pay to play that is the name of the game. they are not for everyone . by the way fyi I won"t sell it even for 100,000 I love the car remember you are driving a cobra { rare race car on the street } . Have fun !
Old 09-07-2019, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

ERA seems to be pretty good about supplying replacements (within reasonable time limits) when a parts unexpectedly craps out. Of course that leaves you with the work of installing it so being handy in the garage is definitely a good idea. And they are pretty up front about certain supplier parts that are marginal but there's no obvious, suitable replacement, or due to a rash of failures or quality of new stock, they have had to find a new supplier or change a component. But it's a constant, on-going process and it's never going to get up to anywhere near the level of your new Toyota, Lexus or even Ford.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks to all of you.

A few points, please and forgive me for sounding like an old crank. I am *****ing way to much but I think after 3 years....

1) Car bought new 2016. The dealer is fantastic as is the installer.
2) Roush 427R package
3) 12K miles. I know it is a lot.
4) Driven like a museum piece. Tires never spun. Never raced. All highway.
5) I am pretty good with the tools and have a vowel at the end of my name. I have a spotless garage floor, acid etched and painted and I am ready to go at all times.
6) I have built many cars and I get the drill. It is not a factory product.
7) My hand built crap was way more reliable than a car that prides itself on a factory, assembly line, standard, quality experience. It's why you go to Superformance and not build a kit (in part).
8) You saw the list of breakdowns. This is a lightly driven car. Did you see that list?
9) I talk to Superformance and they say if the fiberglass cracked, they will help but for the parts in the roller, they can not stand by their suppliers. Full stop. That is not right. They sell a roller with sourced parts. Stand by your car.
10) Did I mention this car cost a small fortune?
11) I get Roush and Superformance are seperate. But, they did form an alliance. Your are judged by the company you keep and their are no stars on a show that flops.
12) Lost of lots of time in a 3 short summers. Lot's of tow trucks. I finally had to join AAA.

So, when asked about my experience by potential buyers, I will be sure to carefully point out who was responsible for the problems and that SFP was only on the hook for half. That should help sell a car.

Thanks again, friends. Great posts.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

it was a used car, it happens. side pipe mount breaking is pretty common with an engine with high torque. Wheel bearings I don't know just the luck of the draw, some of the others just come with time and driving.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Trust me we all get what you are saying did you not read my first statement that was not a joke.Again I will say welcome to the madness.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tciulla View Post
- Fan relay
- Power brake booster
- Master cylinder
- Wheel bearing
- Ball joints (because the shake was so bad)
- Throw out bearing
- Clutch
- Slave cylinder
- CV joint
- Both battery terminals broke
- Side pipe mount
- Short in gauges

Alright, I'll give you the CV Joint and Ball Joints (if I were SPF I would have just sent you new ones), but most of the other stuff just falls in to the normal Cobra breakdown category. And you can't blame SPF for the clutch or TOB -- somebody else chooses that and drops it in. And you can't blame anybody for a flaky fan relay. BTW, Bob still sends me free parts when my ERA breaks even after almost 15 years. I think "for the life of the original owner" is their idea of a reasonable time -- I'm ok with that.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Cobras are a tinkerer's dream or nightmare, depending on what you like.

3 years and 12000 granny driven? I guess I'd like to see granny drive.

I suggest you sell it. You will never be satisfied now.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igofastr View Post
Good points Dan, but I think SPF has to take responsibility for the parts that they supply with their cars, regardless of whether SPF builds the part or procures it from a 3rd party.
Maybe, but these cars don't have a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, no matter who you get it from. That horse was at the barn door within the first few months, certainly after a year it was in the corrall, and now is way up in the mountains. Anything would be a gift especially since they don't know how the car was used (or abused). Interesting how it shows up here with a zero post count trying to get sympathy.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Maybe, but these cars don't have a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, no matter who you get it from. That horse was at the barn door within the first few months, certainly after a year it was in the corrall, and now is way up in the mountains. Anything would be a gift especially since they don't know how the car was used (or abused). Interesting how it shows up here with a zero post count trying to get sympathy.
You should just let us handle this one remember you sell superformance
Igofastr likes this.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I can attest to the strength and reliability of Superformance. I have driven the crap out of my SPF for the past several years without any breakdowns associated with the car. I don't mean drive it hard on the street, I race the car in open competition and have not had anything fail. Just replaced the wheel bearings this year, but that was after three years of racing the car. It is normal maintenance on a race car.

Jim
Old 09-08-2019, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

Tciulla,

I empathize with your frustration, therefore, I won't waste your time debating the merits of a Superformance.

I owned my Superformance for 11 years. In the first 12,000 miles I experienced numerous unexpected issues, some of which are: defective carb, defective thermostat, leaking clutch reservoir, defective water pump (twice), defective speedometer (twice), leaking clutch slave cylinder, broken ground wire (battery to frame), and broken side pipe mounts (twice). Fortunately, and with help from Club Cobra, I was able to remedy all the issues in a relatively timely manner. Were the issue bothersome? Yes. Were they frustrating? Yes. Were they annoying? Yes. Did they cost me money? Yes. But, at the end of the day, that car was so much fun it didn't matter!

From discussions with many cobra owners over the years, the unexpected is expected. These cars, although well built, are somewhat fragile.

I drove my car over 20,000 miles before I sold it. I miss it terribly. As much as I wanted it to be error free, I finally came to the realization that the "hiccups" were the price of ownership. So please, be patient.
hauss likes this.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Best advice I got, was treat it like a Harley Davison motorcycles. Check every nut and bolt before driving. Do I do that? NO. But the statement stands. And it's a (FORD) you know, "Fix Or Repair Daily".

Mark.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto One View Post
Best advice I got, was treat it like a Harley Davison motorcycles. Check every nut and bolt before driving. Do I do that? NO. But the statement stands. And it's a (FORD) you know, "Fix Or Repair Daily".

Mark.
Maybe if you put a Chevy motor in it you wouldn't have to "Fix Or Repair (it) Daily"?
Old 09-09-2019, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

I built my own so I guess I'm at fault for all my breaks!
No tows as of yet! (14 years)
rodneym likes this.