Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2020, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Well, I am glad to be wrong about the selling price. The bronze one might be more practical with the bronze body since it will not dent as easily.

What do you think, maybe 100# heavier than an aluminum body?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

There really seemed no difference in weight when lifting the hood of the bronze one. If is adds 150 pounds, it shouldn't make a difference. My experience is the cars always run better with a passenger for some extra weight.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Many times the commentators will state that restorations rarely recoup the cost. At best it's free labor.
Pennies on the dollar. A lot of the pure custom cars and offbeat restorations took a severe beating. When you go full custom or full restoration on something out of the norm, you roll the dice and takes your chances.
BJ is a buyers market for sure.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFdriver View Post
Pennies on the dollar. A lot of the pure custom cars and offbeat restorations took a severe beating. When you go full custom or full restoration on something out of the norm, you roll the dice and takes your chances.
BJ is a buyers market for sure.
I assert the same is true of almost all of these unfinished Cobra kits. By the time someone sinks all the time, materials and tools needed to finish it properly they rarely can be considered a wise choice. Most aren't worth it even if they paid you to take it away. Sure, if you love fabrication then go for it, but if you think you're going to pick up someone's unfinished business and even break even on it down the line, you're on some bad drugs. If that were the case we'd see dealers turning them over daily and that doesn't happen.
RUFdriver likes this.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agree, I wouldn’t touch an unfinished kit with a 10’ pole, unless it was from a known manufacturer with all the parts. Registration is a whole other issue with an unfinished kit.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Those are some nice looking bodies, (I love the copper!) but it seems like fingerprints would be a killer!
Old 01-22-2020, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Probably no worse than polished aluminum. The brass one will turn brown with age. The copper, green.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Probably no worse than polished aluminum. The brass one will turn brown with age. The copper, green.
I wonder if either/both are finished with any sort of clear coat/sealer type product. That could inhibit the metals from oxidizing some, I'd think.

That could make some sense, but didn't see any mention of it one way or the other.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I assert the same is true of almost all of these unfinished Cobra kits. By the time someone sinks all the time, materials and tools needed to finish it properly they rarely can be considered a wise choice. Most aren't worth it even if they paid you to take it away. Sure, if you love fabrication then go for it, but if you think you're going to pick up someone's unfinished business and even break even on it down the line, you're on some bad drugs. If that were the case we'd see dealers turning them over daily and that doesn't happen.

When I was young an foolish I would dive into a project like that.. Oh I did.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 01-22-2020, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD427 View Post
I wonder if either/both are finished with any sort of clear coat/sealer type product. That could inhibit the metals from oxidizing some, I'd think.

That could make some sense, but didn't see any mention of it one way or the other.
Yes it would inhibit it a lot.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm the one that ended up with the Bronze Kirkham. My wife and I saw it at a show a few years back and we both loved it. I had sold a CSX4000 Cobra about a year ago when I retired and figured I would never have another Cobra. When I saw this one going through the auction, I figured I'd make an effort to buy it. This is my fourth Kirkham built Cobra that I've had in my garage one at a time. I set my maximum limit going in never thinking it would be high enough, if someone had bid one dollar higher after my final bid, I wouldn't own it. I hope I'll be a good owner for the car.
I have a few items to address. The first are the tires and the second are fender protectors for the rear. If anyone knows of someone that sells good spats, please let me know. Since I don't have a trailer any more, I will drive this car on occasion, I drive everything I own.
I emailed David Kirkham yesterday and he responded right away with congratulations, he also provided some much needed information about the build. Its good to be back in the Cobra loop.
bwcobra15, Jamo, maurice19 and 3 others like this.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison West Coast
Not Ranked     

Now that is some funny stuff. Congrats on the new car TimG. You showed a lot of class watching as these internet warriors with 15,000 posts talk about not driving it and lamenting a person that would buy such a thing. We have to assume that sometime between all the posting on here about people not driving, originality and whatever, they are actually driving their cars. GREAT looking car. Drive it like you stole it, welcome back. Once bitten you can never get the venom out of your blood.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG427 View Post
I'm the one that ended up with the Bronze Kirkham. My wife and I saw it at a show a few years back and we both loved it. I had sold a CSX4000 Cobra about a year ago when I retired and figured I would never have another Cobra. When I saw this one going through the auction, I figured I'd make an effort to buy it. This is my fourth Kirkham built Cobra that I've had in my garage one at a time. I set my maximum limit going in never thinking it would be high enough, if someone had bid one dollar higher after my final bid, I wouldn't own it. I hope I'll be a good owner for the car.
I have a few items to address. The first are the tires and the second are fender protectors for the rear. If anyone knows of someone that sells good spats, please let me know. Since I don't have a trailer any more, I will drive this car on occasion, I drive everything I own.
I emailed David Kirkham yesterday and he responded right away with congratulations, he also provided some much needed information about the build. Its good to be back in the Cobra loop.
Tim, congrats and welcome back. Like you I’ve been out of the hobby for (quite) a while, and it’s good to be in it again. Your last post makes the one you put up a couple days ago (“I’m pretty sure the new owner will drive the bronze one”) pretty hilarious. You’ve owned some beautiful examples and congratulations on another unique and stunning Cobra.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to both of you guys for the kind words. I just have to put this car on the road occasionally with that 482 and five speed. They really do drive well.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Holy Cow! Congratulations! You got the deal of the century.

If it isn't, I'd clear coat it.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you, Tony. It's held up very well as is, but I'll see what my options are for keeping it nice and shiny. I could see taking time to work the shine on a regular basis. It looked great in person.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thank you, Tony. It's held up very well as is, but I'll see what my options are for keeping it nice and shiny. I could see taking time to work the shine on a regular basis. It looked great in person.
Think ships bell * 100.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Gorgeous car Tim, congrats on the acquisition!!

At the very least, you'll have to drive that beauty to the local cruise-in...preferably on a very sunny day...��

I kept a copy of Hot Rod mag from September 2011 that featured the billet and copper cars...here's the article for everyone's viewing pleasure.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mike I; 01-22-2020 at 10:11 PM..
Old 01-22-2020, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Those are some impressive cars! Much more than a special body material.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Congrats! Maybe I’ll see it someday running around the Hill Country!