Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   CSX vs. Superformance Body Mold (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/143283-csx-vs-superformance-body-mold.html)

Mark IV 02-28-2020 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeeyes (Post 1472503)
Actually, MkIV, I think we’re both right...the tires in the first pic are different than those in the second. Must have been taken at two different times in the life of the car. I think you’re correct that the first pic shows Coopers, and I’m pretty sure the second shows Avons.

Correct!

RUFdriver 02-28-2020 06:38 AM

Slightly off topic but related to the original question, something I’ve often wondered about, what’s the deal with all the South African built Cobras? Did the origin of this cottage industry have something to do with CS spending those years in Africa?

LMH 02-28-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUFdriver (Post 1472523)
Slightly off topic but related to the original question, something I’ve often wondered about, what’s the deal with all the South African built Cobras? Did the origin of this cottage industry have something to do with CS spending those years in Africa?

There were no originals that came out of South Africa. All originated at AC Cars in England. I think what you’re referring to is Hi Tech SA which is a Superformance in the states.
Larry

FredG 02-28-2020 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1472502)
To each his own I guess. IMO, if you don't think this is one of the sexiest cars there is, there's something wrong with you!

https://i.postimg.cc/DzwN4d85/CSX2492.jpg

Larry

Sorry. Don't care for it. Flat wheel wells, wire wheels, stance, 3 point roll bar, gas cap. Nice color though......and remember, everyone is entitled to their subjective opinion.

Fred

snakeeyes 02-28-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredG (Post 1472545)
Sorry. Don't care for it. Flat wheel wells, wire wheels, stance, 3 point roll bar, gas cap. Nice color though......and remember, everyone is entitled to their subjective opinion.

Fred

Hey, if we all liked the same car it would make for some awfully boring parking lots at club events. And make it hard as hell to find the one that was yours.

patrickt 02-28-2020 12:15 PM

I've never liked the look of a slab side.:cool:

Mark IV 02-28-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1472549)

Says the guy with a beige Cobra!:3DSMILE:

ERA 626 02-28-2020 01:30 PM

Hi-tech is the parent company for Superformance. The factory in South Africa builds both the SPF cars and the CSX cars. They are completely different cars.
I am beilng told CS was having quality issues with the other buiders of the continuation cars. So he contracted Hi-tech to build the CSX cars. As a part of the deal (money grab) he had to license SPF. I am in no way saying anything negitive about SPF cars as they are very nice cars, the Quaity on the fit/finish comong from the SA factory is amazing. This is why CS contracted Hi-tech to Build the CSX cars.

I am friends will Bill Denbeste he has several million dollars in Cobras in his showroom (cobra wall) I was able to see the differences on the HST CSX cars, the Hi-tech CSX cars. it becomes obvious the quality differences between the cars. Needless to say I liked the Hi-tech SA car. However that being said the finished car is only as good as the person or company finishing the build. Bill has several Kirkhams several CSX cars and 2 CSX 3000 series cars, the collection of cobras in his windsor showroom is impressive. In the same building is the Shelby engine Co. very nice shop.

cycleguy55 02-28-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1472549)

And some don't like FIA or S/C cars. Similarly, some like blondes, others like brunettes, and some prefer redheads. And there's a group that goes "hair, what hair?" LOL

Different strokes for different folks, or a lid for every pot. Thankfully those with different tastes are able to find something they like, whether it be cars, cuisine or companions.

twobjshelbys 02-28-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA 626 (Post 1472551)
I was able to see the differences on the HST CSX cars, the Hi-tech CSX cars.

I know of at least one major Cobra dealer that only accepted HST-built cars. I'd heard there were several and wouldn't be surprised if Denbeste was also one.

snakeeyes 02-28-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1472553)
And some don't like FIA or S/C cars. Similarly, some like blondes, others like brunettes, and some prefer redheads. And there's a group that goes "hair, what hair?" LOL

Different strokes for different folks, or a lid for every pot. Thankfully those with different tastes are able to find something they like, whether it be cars, cuisine or companions.

I love all Cobras because...they’re Cobras. I just love some more than others.

xb-60 02-28-2020 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...definitely not Avons...

E5USMC 02-28-2020 05:52 PM

I’ve always felt an FIA roll bar in the 289 Slabside balanced the look of the car and helped it tremendously. Plus I love the undercar exhaust coming out in front of the tires and the stacks under the hood!!! That’s a damn good looking car.

E5

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1472502)
To each his own I guess. IMO, if you don't think this is one of the sexiest cars there is, there's something wrong with you!

https://i.postimg.cc/DzwN4d85/CSX2492.jpg

Larry

LMH 02-28-2020 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E5USMC (Post 1472575)
I’ve always felt an FIA roll bar in the 289 Slabside balanced the look of the car and helped it tremendously. Plus I love the undercar exhaust coming out in front of the tires and the stacks under the hood!!! That’s a damn good looking car.

E5

Side outlet exhaust was fairly common on street cars. It keeps the pipes from interfering with the rear anti-sway bar if so optioned.
Larry

snakeeyes 02-28-2020 06:23 PM

My plan for my JCF was a removable FIA-style roll bar, exhaust in front of the rear wheels, and a set of repro Halibrand Kidney Beans on period-style tires. That would have given me the ability to switch back and forth between a pure street look and more of an early FIA replica one. Never kept the car long enough to do it.

RUFdriver 02-28-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1472533)
There were no originals that came out of South Africa. All originated at AC Cars in England. I think what you’re referring to is Hi Tech SA which is a Superformance in the states.
Larry

I know, I was wondering about the time CS spent in South Africa in the early-mid 70s. Is there a connection?

snakeeyes 02-28-2020 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUFdriver (Post 1472590)
I know, I was wondering about the time CS spent in South Africa in the early-mid 70s. Is there a connection?

My recollection—and that’s all it is—is that Shelby basically distanced himself from all things car-related during his time in SA. But who knows what connections he made while he was there.

snakeeyes 02-28-2020 08:51 PM

Here’s a timeline that talks a little about his time in South Africa if you scroll down.

https://www.shelby.com/en-us/History

RUFdriver 02-28-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeeyes (Post 1472591)
My recollection—and that’s all it is—is that Shelby basically distanced himself from all things car-related during his time in SA. But who knows what connections he made while he was there.

It’s all very interesting, CS spends time in SA and years later all these Cobras start popping out of the molds.

snakeeyes 02-28-2020 09:04 PM

Yeah...somehow it’s hard to accept that he just “stopped” and went to Africa for a few years to look at wildebeests, LOL. You know he couldn’t resist exercising that wheeler-dealer gene every chance he got.