Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2020, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CSX vs. Superformance Body Mold

I know Superformance supplies Shelby with the Fiberglass body for the CSX cars. Is the body mold the SAME between the SF cars built and the CSX cars?

Tom
Old 02-23-2020, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

No....
Old 02-23-2020, 02:34 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
No....
X2

Even though SPF is building the CSX continuation series Cobra replicas, the two lines share virtually nothing with each other.

Bill

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-23-2020, 04:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
I know Superformance supplies Shelby with the Fiberglass body for the CSX cars. Is the body mold the SAME between the SF cars built and the CSX cars?

Tom
Not even close. If you saw the two next to one another, they wouldn't look anything like each other. Have you ever seen those Photoshop exercises where they take a picture of a beautiful woman and then "slightly" change the relationships between her eyes, nose line, chin, and eyes? And, with just a couple of very small changes, she is no longer beautiful.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

and which of the both moulds is more original?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Are the difference between the molds just with the 427s? I know the chassis are different on the 427 cars ( round vs square tube) but the SPF used the 3” round tube and leaf spring suspension on it 289 FIA and Slabside just like the CSX continuation cars. Curious if those molds were the same.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

The parent company of SPF (Hi-tech) is biulding the CSX cars. The body of the CSX car is very close to the original as well as the chassis. The CSX cars and the SPF cars are not even close to being similar.
That being said, the body & chassis of the, Kirkham, high-tech & CSX are very close to the original.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1604, VMS 427
Not Ranked     

Wondering if anyone has pictures of a SPF car next to a CSX car to show the line difference?
Old 02-23-2020, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Wait a second. There wasn't ONE original. The were "splashed" from different originals. Which ones is all described here somewhere. The reason the CSX and SPFs vary is the originals varied. Hand formed aluminum can never be 100% replicated so there will be variances between instances, plus the originals were evolving. The differences will be subtle. Think of them as "sisters", but not "twins".

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 02-23-2020 at 12:19 PM..
Old 02-23-2020, 12:27 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggsjr View Post
Wondering if anyone has pictures of a SPF car next to a CSX car to show the line difference?
I'll see your one, and raise you seventeen. Click here: Compare car profiles
Old 02-23-2020, 12:44 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5USMC View Post
Are the difference between the molds just with the 427s? I know the chassis are different on the 427 cars ( round vs square tube) but the SPF used the 3” round tube and leaf spring suspension on it 289 FIA and Slabside just like the CSX continuation cars. Curious if those molds were the same.
Yes,

The SPF and Shelby 289s are the same save for some items such as the differentials, brake caliper markings and some other minor items.
1795 likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-23-2020, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1604, VMS 427
Not Ranked     

Very cool. Thank you for posting.....
Old 02-23-2020, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Wait a second. There wasn't ONE original. The were "splashed" from different originals. Which ones is all described here somewhere. The reason the CSX and SPFs vary is the originals varied. Hand formed aluminum can never be 100% replicated so there will be variances between instances, plus the originals were evolving. The differences will be subtle. Think of them as "sisters", but not "twins".
Do not agree, the SPF body is not even close to the CSX, Im not saying its a bad thing, but its different. As some one else said here the original cars varied in the overall exact dimensions but were fairly consistent in shape/stance.

The main difference That is obvious is the 4" round chassis vs. the rectangular chassis on the SPF / ERA. In terms of body what stands out for me is the snout, the SPF snout is smaller that the ERA/CSX, I mention ERA because the ERA 427 body was molded from Peter P. Original car. The rear fenders are the main difference for me. The rear fenders of the ERA/CSX/KMP to me are the most beautiful part of the car. I will try to post the ERA next to the SPF next to the shelby (CSX)
Car on the left is my ERA (sold) the car in the middle is Scott Beals SPF, The car on the right is Mike Bartletts CSX car.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2020, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

note the stance and the rear fenders.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

The differences are much less with the 289's. When my SPF289 FIA was being assembled they sent a photo of the frame and suspension from the factory and in front of the frame was a placard that said CSX on it. The 427's are different, but Had my 289 FIA at the last SAAC and several people who owned original 289's commented on how close to the original the car was. Mind you, I had added Girling brakes and the Salibury differential along with a vintage 289 and Webers.

Jim
Old 02-23-2020, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
The differences are much less with the 289's. When my SPF289 FIA was being assembled they sent a photo of the frame and suspension from the factory and in front of the frame was a placard that said CSX on it. The 427's are different, but Had my 289 FIA at the last SAAC and several people who owned original 289's commented on how close to the original the car was. Mind you, I had added Girling brakes and the Salibury differential along with a vintage 289 and Webers.

Jim
Yes agreed on the 289s, do the SPF 289s have the round chassis? per original?
Old 02-23-2020, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKII
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
Yes agreed on the 289s, do the SPF 289s have the round chassis? per original?
Yes, they do.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

3" round chassis complete with transverse leaf springs.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Once again - my pet Cobra peeve re: body shapes

Actually the Superformance body (for their own SPF replicas) is based on the heavily altered and modified post 1983 Contemporary replica body, which was originally splashed off of CSX 3045. In '83 Contemporary sectioned and raised the rear of the body to compensate for a variance in the original heights of the fenders. They then had to lower and radius the rear wheel openings to compensate and close the gaps over and around the tires. Quite a few manufacturers copied the altered body shape in subscription to the fallacy that Contemporary was "the world's most accurate Cobra replica." That could have been true, but only before the unfortunate body modifications. As a result, one can see the flawed, arse-in-the-air DNA in brands like SPF, Everett Morrison and the previous generation FFR's.

SPF recognized this and made some attempts to mitigate the high-butt, chunky sided look but could only go so far with the existing chassis and packaging. The fiberglass Shelby bodies manufactured by the same company are based directly on an original CSX car and look completely different - lower, leaner and sleeker; with rounded rear fenders that the rear wheels actually fit into - as can clearly be seen in the photos posted above.

Edit: This is reflective of my personal preference for the original body shape and stance. There are many, many very beautiful and well built Cobras out there with the perky-butt shape and I'm sure their owners love them just the way they are. And let's not even go into the radically different looking Backdraft cars - these seem to be the hottest selling replicas nowadays - as newer (to the hobby) and younger owners who are unfamiliar with (and probably uninterested in) the particulars of the original shape - are the predominant buying demographic. If the hobby survives, who knows - that may well one day become the perceived standard for what a Cobra ought to look like.
ERA 626, eschaider and 66gtk like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 02-24-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Old 02-24-2020, 11:16 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Those comparo pics are pretty awful.
A little bit of elevation really has an effect.
If the camera was placed the same distance at the same height, and preferable the same color and light, we'd be on to something.
The ERA looks more accurate than the Kirkham, and we know that's not the case.
peterpjb likes this.