LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2020, 04:34 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
Actually, MkIV, I think we’re both right...the tires in the first pic are different than those in the second. Must have been taken at two different times in the life of the car. I think you’re correct that the first pic shows Coopers, and I’m pretty sure the second shows Avons.
Correct!
snakeeyes likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-28-2020, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Slightly off topic but related to the original question, something I’ve often wondered about, what’s the deal with all the South African built Cobras? Did the origin of this cottage industry have something to do with CS spending those years in Africa?
Old 02-28-2020, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFdriver View Post
Slightly off topic but related to the original question, something I’ve often wondered about, what’s the deal with all the South African built Cobras? Did the origin of this cottage industry have something to do with CS spending those years in Africa?
There were no originals that came out of South Africa. All originated at AC Cars in England. I think what you’re referring to is Hi Tech SA which is a Superformance in the states.
Larry
Old 02-28-2020, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
To each his own I guess. IMO, if you don't think this is one of the sexiest cars there is, there's something wrong with you!

Larry
Sorry. Don't care for it. Flat wheel wells, wire wheels, stance, 3 point roll bar, gas cap. Nice color though......and remember, everyone is entitled to their subjective opinion.

Fred
Old 02-28-2020, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Sorry. Don't care for it. Flat wheel wells, wire wheels, stance, 3 point roll bar, gas cap. Nice color though......and remember, everyone is entitled to their subjective opinion.

Fred
Hey, if we all liked the same car it would make for some awfully boring parking lots at club events. And make it hard as hell to find the one that was yours.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I've never liked the look of a slab side.
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:52 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Says the guy with a beige Cobra!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-28-2020, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Hi-tech is the parent company for Superformance. The factory in South Africa builds both the SPF cars and the CSX cars. They are completely different cars.
I am beilng told CS was having quality issues with the other buiders of the continuation cars. So he contracted Hi-tech to build the CSX cars. As a part of the deal (money grab) he had to license SPF. I am in no way saying anything negitive about SPF cars as they are very nice cars, the Quaity on the fit/finish comong from the SA factory is amazing. This is why CS contracted Hi-tech to Build the CSX cars.

I am friends will Bill Denbeste he has several million dollars in Cobras in his showroom (cobra wall) I was able to see the differences on the HST CSX cars, the Hi-tech CSX cars. it becomes obvious the quality differences between the cars. Needless to say I liked the Hi-tech SA car. However that being said the finished car is only as good as the person or company finishing the build. Bill has several Kirkhams several CSX cars and 2 CSX 3000 series cars, the collection of cobras in his windsor showroom is impressive. In the same building is the Shelby engine Co. very nice shop.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
And some don't like FIA or S/C cars. Similarly, some like blondes, others like brunettes, and some prefer redheads. And there's a group that goes "hair, what hair?" LOL

Different strokes for different folks, or a lid for every pot. Thankfully those with different tastes are able to find something they like, whether it be cars, cuisine or companions.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
I was able to see the differences on the HST CSX cars, the Hi-tech CSX cars.
I know of at least one major Cobra dealer that only accepted HST-built cars. I'd heard there were several and wouldn't be surprised if Denbeste was also one.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
And some don't like FIA or S/C cars. Similarly, some like blondes, others like brunettes, and some prefer redheads. And there's a group that goes "hair, what hair?" LOL

Different strokes for different folks, or a lid for every pot. Thankfully those with different tastes are able to find something they like, whether it be cars, cuisine or companions.
I love all Cobras because...they’re Cobras. I just love some more than others.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

...definitely not Avons...
Attached Images

ERA 626 likes this.

Last edited by xb-60; 02-28-2020 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Oops
Old 02-28-2020, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I’ve always felt an FIA roll bar in the 289 Slabside balanced the look of the car and helped it tremendously. Plus I love the undercar exhaust coming out in front of the tires and the stacks under the hood!!! That’s a damn good looking car.

E5

Quote:
To each his own I guess. IMO, if you don't think this is one of the sexiest cars there is, there's something wrong with you!

Larry

Last edited by E5USMC; 02-28-2020 at 05:55 PM..
Old 02-28-2020, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5USMC View Post
I’ve always felt an FIA roll bar in the 289 Slabside balanced the look of the car and helped it tremendously. Plus I love the undercar exhaust coming out in front of the tires and the stacks under the hood!!! That’s a damn good looking car.

E5
Side outlet exhaust was fairly common on street cars. It keeps the pipes from interfering with the rear anti-sway bar if so optioned.
Larry
Old 02-28-2020, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My plan for my JCF was a removable FIA-style roll bar, exhaust in front of the rear wheels, and a set of repro Halibrand Kidney Beans on period-style tires. That would have given me the ability to switch back and forth between a pure street look and more of an early FIA replica one. Never kept the car long enough to do it.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
There were no originals that came out of South Africa. All originated at AC Cars in England. I think what you’re referring to is Hi Tech SA which is a Superformance in the states.
Larry
I know, I was wondering about the time CS spent in South Africa in the early-mid 70s. Is there a connection?
Old 02-28-2020, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFdriver View Post
I know, I was wondering about the time CS spent in South Africa in the early-mid 70s. Is there a connection?
My recollection—and that’s all it is—is that Shelby basically distanced himself from all things car-related during his time in SA. But who knows what connections he made while he was there.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here’s a timeline that talks a little about his time in South Africa if you scroll down.

https://www.shelby.com/en-us/History
Old 02-28-2020, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
My recollection—and that’s all it is—is that Shelby basically distanced himself from all things car-related during his time in SA. But who knows what connections he made while he was there.
It’s all very interesting, CS spends time in SA and years later all these Cobras start popping out of the molds.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah...somehow it’s hard to accept that he just “stopped” and went to Africa for a few years to look at wildebeests, LOL. You know he couldn’t resist exercising that wheeler-dealer gene every chance he got.
RUFdriver likes this.