Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2020, 12:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     
Default Registering in Calif with Webers and No Wipers

Am I going to have major issues getting it pass smog and titled in CA under SB100? Should I just sell the car before spending money to paint It?
Old 02-24-2020, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Why not put on wipers?
Old 02-24-2020, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Why not put on wipers?
No wY to fit them. Motor would have to be inside the firewall, not in the engine bay
Old 02-24-2020, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

There were a couple of guys on one of the Factory Five forums, I don't recall which forum, that had the same concerns. One, I recall, fabricated an air box out of a couple of cookie sheets with the attendant PCV hardware and passed his BAR inspection easily.

Regarding the wipers, others have used the clip-on manual wipers successfully.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
Am I going to have major issues getting it pass smog and titled in CA under SB100? Should I just sell the car before spending money to paint It?

SB100 doesn't care how the emissions turn out. One of the benefits of the SPCNs registration is the fact the car no longer needs to pass smog. You will need things like PCV's and wipers but the smog emissions burden is gone.

Ed
ACHiPo likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I used wipers readily available from hot rod sources on my 39 studebaker. The ones on the cobra look to be very similar. The motor is inside the passenger compartment. They aren't much but are a lot better than nothing.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Make sure that you register it as a car from before 1965, and or use a block from before that date...otherwise you will need to use a pcv, which complicates the use of webers. It can be done, but it's a bit of a pain. If you need help, I built a set of spacers with vacuum lines to go under the webers along with a cheap Chinese valve cover with a pcv.
maurice19 likes this.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 02-24-2020, 10:27 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowan Replicars, 352 4V
Not Ranked     

I got my car through the SB100 process in San Diego late last year with no wipers. The BAR inspector only cared about my build story (engine + body with frame came from different places and visual proof of the DIY build), and my motor had a visible PCV based on its 1959 manufacturing year (1959 Tbird Ford 3524V PCV).

As Igofastr's stated, I don't think it even matters that the PCV system has the original components. So a vacuum port from a carb's base to a valve cover would probably be sufficient.

Rowan Replicars 1965 Cobra Replica
352 4V, T5, Jaguar Posi rear end with 3.30 gears.
https://www.facebook.com/pormgb/

Last edited by pormgb; 02-24-2020 at 10:33 AM..
Old 02-24-2020, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

“ As Igofastr's stated, I don't think it even matters that the PCV system has the original components. So a vacuum port from a carb's base to a valve cover would probably be sufficient.”

Webers don’t have a port to which a hose can be connected. That’s my whole issue.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
“ As Igofastr's stated, I don't think it even matters that the PCV system has the original components. So a vacuum port from a carb's base to a valve cover would probably be sufficient.”

Webers don’t have a port to which a hose can be connected. That’s my whole issue.
I would be happy to sell you a set of spacers, each with a port and hoses to connect to a PCV. It worked when I took my weber-equipped GT40 through. I also have a cheap Chinese valve cover with a PCV attached. This setup got my 351W with weber IDA48s through the inspection.

Ron

Old 02-24-2020, 04:10 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igofastr View Post
I would be happy to sell you a set of spacers, each with a port and hoses to connect to a PCV. It worked when I took my weber-equipped GT40 through. I also have a cheap Chinese valve cover with a PCV attached. This setup got my 351W with weber IDA48s through the inspection.

Ron
For the amount of pain the BAR trip can be, I would try Igofastr recommendation. As long as you have a hose going from your carburetors to a valve cover, you should be fine. I took my car with two PCV hoses, one from the air filter to the valve cover, and the other from the carburetor PCV port to the additional valve cover. The BAR inspector looked at the valve cover to the carburetor PCV port and ignored the air filter hose. He didn't even check the engine number; he just focused on the year and size of the motor. My sticker states 1959 Ford 5.8L; therefore, my PCV standards are defined by the year of the engine.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pormgb View Post
For the amount of pain the BAR trip can be, I would try Igofastr recommendation. As long as you have a hose going from your carburetors to a valve cover, you should be fine. I took my car with two PCV hoses, one from the air filter to the valve cover, and the other from the carburetor PCV port to the additional valve cover. The BAR inspector looked at the valve cover to the carburetor PCV port and ignored the air filter hose. He didn't even check the engine number; he just focused on the year and size of the motor. My sticker states 1959 Ford 5.8L; therefore, my PCV standards are defined by the year of the engine.
I'd completely forgotten about the air filter. I have that too. One line tapped into the base of a filter.

I'll have to look in my storage, but I'm pretty sure I still have it all. The only thing you'd have to add is longer studs (or bolts) to fasten the carb / spacers to the intake.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

The PCV is not an issue, put a PCV valve it one of the valve covers and run a hose to one of the Weber velocity stacks. You may want to purchase an extra velocity stack as the hose will have to attach to it. We used a threaded fitting for the velocity stack fitting but you can figure out what works best for you. After the inspection you can change everything back to the way you had it.
Depending on your inspector things can get out of hand or they may let you by on some requirements. You also mayy need a brake and light inspection.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
No wY to fit them. Motor would have to be inside the firewall, not in the engine bay
My wiper motor is inside the firewall. Couldn't make it work under the hood.

Keep at it Bill!

Cheers
Glen
Old 02-27-2020, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

No motor required.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...cket,3416.html

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...iper,2301.html
Bill D likes this.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:22 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
The PCV is not an issue, put a PCV valve it one of the valve covers and run a hose to one of the Weber velocity stacks. You may want to purchase an extra velocity stack as the hose will have to attach to it. We used a threaded fitting for the velocity stack fitting but you can figure out what works best for you. After the inspection you can change everything back to the way you had it.
Depending on your inspector things can get out of hand or they may let you by on some requirements. You also mayy need a brake and light inspection.
A Brake and light inspection should not be required if the car came with an MSO, or was registered in another state. My car needed a Brake and light inspection because it's a 2015 SPCNS, and it came with a bill of sale. +1 on the inspection getting out of hand. You almost need a script to say the right things; otherwise, you could get in trouble.

When I had my brake and light inspection, I asked about wipers. The technician said that the DMV doesn't care about wipers.

The steps to registration are;
First DMV visit, most pain!!
CHP visit (Vin assignment)
DMV Visit to Get Certificate Of Sequence + pay taxes
Brake + Light if SPCNS
BAR Visit to get SB100.

The only safety check is the brake and light, and they don't care about wipers (brakes and lights). The BAR doesn't care about wipers; all they want is that the engine and body came from different places; a certified mechanic didn't build the car, a PCV system. It's also useful to a build history (illustrated) and have receipts that show where the engine and transmission were purchased or parts to make. These are all SB100 requirements.

I went to the BAR at Mirimar college in San Diego, he did not look for wipers.

Last edited by pormgb; 02-27-2020 at 08:43 AM..
Old 02-27-2020, 12:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In California, you will need a brake and light inspection. MSO or not.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:42 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
In California, you will need a brake and light inspection. MSO or not.
Hmm. So, are all replica Cobras registered in CA, registered as SPCNS, but with a year of like 1965? And the brake and light apply to that year?

The reason why I ask is that I had to attach a 3rd brake light, side markers, backup light, DOT brake hoses, brake warning light as a 2015 SPCNS.

You learn something new every day with this process.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When at the DMV, I was given a form to be filled out by an official inspection location (it was a brake shop).

They checked to make sure my brake lights worked and that I had a functioning backup light (I'd rigged one up using a switch from a motorcycle brake system that I attached to the shift mechanism of my car). I was afraid that they'ed use the brake check portion to go for a joy-ride in my GT40, but they said that fact that I was able to drive to their location was proof enough that my brakes worked.

They didn't ask for a third brake light.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
When at the DMV, I was given a form to be filled out by an official inspection location (it was a brake shop).

They checked to make sure my brake lights worked and that I had a functioning backup light (I'd rigged one up using a switch from a motorcycle brake system that I attached to the shift mechanism of my car). I was afraid that they'ed use the brake check portion to go for a joy-ride in my GT40, but they said that fact that I was able to drive to their location was proof enough that my brakes worked.

They didn't ask for a third brake light.
I see, and I had a similar experience at the Brake And Light place. The SPECN year determines what's needed, and since mine was 2015. I needed all the lights a 2015 car needs to be legal in CA.

On my first DMV trip, they forgot to stamp Brake And Light, and I have been told that if they forget, you don't need it. Unfortunately, on my second trip, they stamped it on my paperwork. But, the BAR inspector did ask for it, even before he saw all the paperwork. So that request corresponds to your statement (it's needed).