LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 08:57 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     
Default Sky hook?

Sky hook?

So we all in these strange times may have a few extra minutes to work on our projects and/or ponder our navels.

I have always read with great interest all the posts talking about lifts: scissor lifts, two post lifts, four post lifts etc.

They all have their pros and cons including height, posts in the way, floor recesses for the scissor lifts, accessibility under the car etc etc etc.

So after my second irish coffee this morning, I had a eureka moment. We need a sky hook!

I’m certifiably nuts. Or drunk. Right?

Well maybe not. I got to thinking about all the cool ways I’ve seen cars lifted. And stored.

My first thought was the method race cars are loaded into the back of race car transporters. You’ve seen them. Flat decks that move the car up with cables and motorized screw jack principles. Think of that attached to the side wall or rear wall of your garage.

And if you’ve ever seen Denbeste’s wall of Cobras mounted on industrial cantilivered racking arms.

Think of pivoting or removable/ latch in place cantilevered arms attached to your garage side wall or end wall to support your car in the air.

So maybe cantilevered rack arms on a vertical motorized screw jack mounted to the side wall of the garage.

Yeah yeah, I know. Most residential garage wall structures aren’t built for that. That can be strengthened.

One more irish coffee and I’ll have this figured out.

Or I’ll be passed out.

Cheers
Greg
Old 03-28-2020, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

send pics when done please.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:37 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Way beyond my capabilities. Just conceptualizing.

But then I didn't think I could scratch build an IRS.

Cheers
Greg
Old 03-28-2020, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

When customer is a car guy I always try to talk
them into adding load points to the trusses. Does not cost that much and they can pick where they want to put pickup points. Nice to be able to pick up whole car and hang, works good for pulling engines or boats off trailer. Guy doing shop soon and I added point load of 1000 lbs every 10 feet 6 foot from back wall so he can put hanging shelf across back wall whole length, going to put dirt bikes, pedal cars quads ect on it.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

When I had my chassis in the shop for frame work we suspended it by the rollcage with 10 ton crane. Sure does make things easy. N/S/E/W/U/D electric controls will spoil you in a heartbeat.
Jim
Old 03-28-2020, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I thought I was clever mounting an angle iron and lagging to the bottom so I can pull motors.....you guys are way ahead of me!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:51 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok guys. Now we're cooking with gas.

I'm thinking some glue lam beams added vertically along the inside wall of my garage to keep the wall from oil canning and a couple of glue lam beams along the ceiling (attached to the trusses above) to distribute the horizontal and vertical loads.

Mount the race car transporter load deck mechanism (TBD) to the wall to raise the car and the cantilevered racking arms mounted to the wall ( a la Denbeste) to support the car up in the air once it's raised into position.

Obviously still conceptual. I'll have to call in a few favors from engineer/architect friends.

Cheers
Greg
Old 03-29-2020, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

As scary as it looks , a 1post hoist is probably the least intrusive. Put the post near a wall and raise it when not needed out of the way. I've seen 2 at a house to store 4 cars in 2 spots. JD
Old 03-30-2020, 10:37 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah. I'm liking the concept of a one post lift. Saw these one post lifts on the net (Northern Tool) called a Tuxedo lift - 2000 lb with 58 inches of lift.

Could use two (4000 lb cap) on a side wall (one for front of the car, one for rear) and replace the lift deck with a longer cantilevered storage shelf beam (like Denbeste wall of Cobras) to go under the frame of the Cobra

Just thinkin.

Cheers
Greg
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2020, 10:44 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And yes, if I was to do two of them, I would tie the two together at the top and tie them to the wall for stability.

See them on the net for sale at $1400 each ($1800 list). Wonder if the company would discount them further if they eliminated the deck?

Cheers
Greg