Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2020, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Mark I, sprint car 347
Not Ranked     
Default windshield replacement

So, replaced glass windshield last year. Two cracks on Coronado trail run last September. Gotten worse . Want to replace with whatever is best. Gary
Old 08-31-2020, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Gary, Gary, Gary.....

Get a "polyglass" (polycarbonate) windshield from Cobra Valley and be done with it.
eschaider, joyridin' and MKS427 like this.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

+1^ on what Carl said.

The glass windshields will just continue to crack for you and the price of a new one (as you already know) will bring tears to your eyes.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I just finished installing the Performance Unlimited windshield. It's only been a month or two but I'm very happy with it so far.

Cobra Valley's PolyGlass Hi-Performance Optically Formed Windshields
Old 09-02-2020, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Negotiating , sort of with insurance Co. Zero deductible so i will prob go with cobra valley if they have in stock.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary, you'd be sorta foolish to not go with the polycarbonate windshield....unless you like changing out the glass ones.
I have over 10K miles on mine and do have some sand pitting but not enough yet to bother me, even with headlights hitting it. I've read up on polishing polycarbonate and it sounds like a do it yourself job that I'll get after when/if I feel the need.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Had the Cobra now for19 years. Two windshields in last two years. Go figure
Old 09-03-2020, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

You got lucky, mine made it about 2K. Got a Lexan replacement from Fast Freddies. 14K later, lots of pits, no cracks.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark, next time, go for the polycarbonate. MUCH harder material. Clean with about anything and you can even use windshield wipers on it.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Has anyone tried a polycarbonate (or Lexan) replacement with a silicon dioxide (commercial name ceramic) coating. While I don't believe it will prevent chips from road debris, the exceptionally smooth surface should enhance optical clarity and water shedding if you ever get caught in a rain event (never happens right?). Sort of a more durable Rain-X type treatment.

Ed

Old 09-03-2020, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Has anyone tried a polycarbonate (or Lexan) replacement with a silicon dioxide (commercial name ceramic) coating. While I don't believe it will prevent chips from road debris, the exceptionally smooth surface should enhance optical clarity and water shedding if you ever get caught in a rain event (never happens right?). Sort of a more durable Rain-X type treatment.

Ed
I don't believe a polycarbonate / Lexan windshield would conform to this requirement, in which case a VI (Vehicle Inspection) here (Saskatchewan, Canada) would take it off the road:

The vehicle shall have a windshield that is of laminated safety glass conforming to ANSI Z26.1, type AS-1 or AS-10 and is so marked.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You're right about the inability to pass a vehicle inspection, Brian. The trade off you have to weigh is the cost of replacement glass windshields that are DOT approved and will pass inspection but repeatedly break vs the polycarbonate which will not break but also will not pass that initial vehicle inspection we all have to go through to register our cars.

Once registered most states do not require follow on vehicle inspections and therefore would not likely be inspected for a DOT compliant / approved windshield. I suppose there could be exceptions but you should be safe for the most part.

The original question however, still remains. Has anybody used the silicon dioxide treatment known as a ceramic coating on their polycarbonate windshield and what are your experiences / opinions after having used the coating?

Ed
cycleguy55 likes this.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I have a lot of experience using Polycarbonate (Lexan) materials for different class projects. It is a very soft material that is malleable and scratches easily. It is bendable and drillable. I know there are a few manufacturer's making windshields out of polycarbonate. Before purchasing one, I would look into what type of coating is put on both sides to prevent the windshield from scratching. The coating is an absolute necessity.

Fred
Old 09-03-2020, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If I remember correctly the Cobra Valley folks were saying the polycarbonate was harder than the lexan equivalent. Does that sound correct?

Ed

Last edited by eschaider; 09-04-2020 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 09-03-2020, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Both Polycarbonate and Lexan are impact resistant but if you use your windshield wipers you'll have scratches. Just like you don't use dish towels on your plastic glasses lenses (which are probably polycarbonate.)
Old 09-03-2020, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Both Polycarbonate and Lexan are impact resistant but if you use your windshield wipers you'll have scratches. Just like you don't use dish towels on your plastic glasses lenses (which are probably polycarbonate.)

That was always my understanding also, Tony. Which is why I was asking about the ceramic coating product. According to the Cobra Valley folks they say,

These specially coated Polycarbonate windshields replace your Cobra glass with a virtually unbreakable, abrasion resistant, Ultra Violet ray resistant, fog resistant, anti-yellowing super clear distortion free form fitting, curved high performance option that will last for years and years... even after repeated windshield wiper usage! — this has a silicon dioxide sound to it.

Which, for me, is counter intuitive. I was always of the same opinion as you are regarding unprotected / treated polycarbonate for a windscreen. The ceramic coating banter for painted surfaces is saying stuff like this (below) which is starting to sound like a good thing for a plastic windscreen.

9H Ceramic Protection

Tint WorldŽ Nano Ceramic Coating was specially formulated with greater than 9H hardness for extreme scratch and chip resistance, UV rays and corrosion protection. Our advanced car ceramic coating system permanently "bonds" to vehicle paint and other surfaces and withstand extreme heat up to 1400 degrees° F. The coating is a crystal-clear liquid multi-layered application and the coating thickness can be increased with additional layers to provide a thicker and harder multi-layered lifetime protection.

and this,

Advanced Protective Care

Tint WorldŽ Nano Ceramic Coating is the latest and most advanced super-hydrophobic application that beads and sheds water for long-term protective care for your vehicle. Our ceramic coating provides a permanent shine and protection that resists dirt, brake dust, and tar from sticking to your vehicles' paint, wheels, trim and glass, which makes washing your vehicle easier, it stays cleaner longer, and it requires less frequent cleanings; once applied, you will never have to wax again!

When we start talking about Lexan or Polycarbonate windscreen alternatives these sort of properties start to take on significance beyond paint appearance considerations which is their usual forte.

That is why my curiosity is so high about anyone attempting to use them on a plastic windscreen replacement and what sort of experience they have had. In the end it might be all marketing hype but there is always that chance someone has used them and can validate (or invalidate) the claims.

Ed

Last edited by eschaider; 09-03-2020 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 09-03-2020, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lexan

Hey Ed.

No. Polycarbonate is dense but is very soft and that is why it is impact resistant. It absorbs energy but won't shatter. It's so soft, you can drill it and put in a sheet metal screw. It dents and scratches easily. Windshields made with polycarbonate have to have a scratch resistant material on the front and back just like polycarbonate glasses do. I know there is different levels scratch resistant material. If you wipe a piece of polycarbonate with a dirty rag, it will scratch.

Fred

Quote:
If I remember correctly the Cobra Valley folks were saying the polycarbonate was harder than the lean equivalent. Does that sound correct?

Ed
Old 09-04-2020, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That was my understanding also, Fred.

The Cobra Valley commentary and the WorldŽ Nano Ceramic Coating shop's advertising was giving me pause and causing me to question what I believed to be true about both the polycarbonate and lexan alternative windscreen materials when coated with a silicon dioxide protective coating. Right now I am most interested in first hand experience with a coated version of the replacement non-glass windscreen alternatives.

I am hoping CJ428CJ, or anyone else who has used one, is still reading this thread and has enough time on his replacement windshield to be able to add some real world experience to the behavior of the protected versions of the polycarbonate and/or lexan alternatives.

Ed

Last edited by eschaider; 09-04-2020 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 09-04-2020, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Legality

Another consideration would be legality, As far as I know, the only type of windshields allowed are laminate glass; although, lexan will not shatter. For demonstration purposes to my students, I have hit 3/8 inch Lexan will a hammer and center punch. It dents but does not shatter. Another issue might be what happens to clear Lexan after long term UV exposure. Does it yellow?

Fred

Quote:
Thar was my understanding also, Fred.

The Cobra Valley commentary and the WorldŽ Nano Ceramic Coating shop's advertising was giving me pause and causing me to question what I believed to be true about both the polycarbonate and lexan alternative windscreen materials when coated with a silicon dioxide protective coating. Right now I am most interested in first hand experience with a coated version of the replacement non-glass windscreen alternatives.

I am hoping CJ428CJ, or anyone else who has used one, is still reading this thread and has enough time on his replacement windshield to be able to add some real world experience to the behavior of the protected versions of the polycarbonate and/or lexan alternatives.

Ed
Old 09-04-2020, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
...Another consideration would be legality, As far as I know, the only type of windshields allowed are laminate glass;...
This is what I was going to mention. Every state I've ever lived in does an inspection the first time you register, and if you don't have a DOT windshield you'll have to get one. I guess it would be "buyer beware" if you end up with one that has one of these in a state that cares...

Note that Billboard/Blue Dot tires are also not street legal.