17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2020, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Default Tko 600

Well it happened again. I was accelerating hard in third gear, getting on the freeway, tried to shift to 4th and could not tried 5th then 4th then 3rd and finally got it in 5th and limped home Took it apart watched a bunch of tremec videos on the web ordered the parts needed {surprisingly not to expensive} and rebuilt the transmission. This time I paid close attention to the gear cluster on the bottom and added sims. It was out of spec. Not sure if this is what caused the 5th gear reverse pin to crack in half but this is the second time it has happened. All the gears and the syncros are like new. I am using pennzoil synchromesh and the transmission shifts great for me usually no issues. Any thoughts why this keeps happening? Just wondering what would cause this to happen other than a bad part or poor design their are two holes drilled though the pin one for the finger and one for the roll pin that holds the finger in place. Car has only 7300 miles
Old 09-23-2020, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
. Any thoughts why this keeps happening?:
Maybe too much power?
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 09-23-2020, 05:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...but this is the second time it has happened. All the gears and the syncros are like new.
This is the second time you've had to rebuild your TKO in only 7000 miles?
Old 09-23-2020, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
This is the second time you've had to rebuild your TKO in only 7000 miles?
Yes first time did not pay close attention to gear cluster end play just not sure what that would have to do with the 5th gear reverse pin cracking in halve.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:13 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes first time did not pay close attention to gear cluster end play just not sure what that would have to do with the 5th gear reverse pin cracking in halve.
I have no idea. The TKO is supposed to be able to handle 600 ft/lbs of torque comfortably, and in most of our cars you can't begin to put that sort of strength through the drive train without the tires busting loose way before that. The only suggestion I would have is when the transmission is out of the car to triple check the bell housing alignment. But you know, in years past (especially when we were youngsters) we used to just slap any old bell housing on any old block and then align it with a broom stick and we never broke anything. We used to wear clutches out in a couple of thousand miles, but I don't remember ever breaking anything.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No sir, no side loading nothing like that. All bearings, gears and shafts look good. Only problem was gear cluster out of spec, just not sure if that would cause the problem. I do not believe so. No uneven wear on gears everything looked good I was wondering bad part? so I tried a new vendor.Also wondering anyone else having this issue?
Old 09-23-2020, 10:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hauss,

I'm an automatic guy, so pardon my stab in the dark: if the inside of the trans is OK, what about the stuff outside? I'm thinking linkage, shifter, that kind of stuff?

Tom
Old 09-23-2020, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, as I said everything looks good. Quick time bellhousing even wear no indications of side loads trans shifted great no issues until pin cracked in half. Not sure why ? I do thank you for your reply I am puzzled.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Defective pin?
Is this the same fail as the first time?
Old 09-23-2020, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnfletcher View Post
Defective pin?
Is this the same fail as the first time?
Yes same location roll pin and finger both have holes drilled through the pin all the way though same break as before.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Is this relevant: TKO 600 Shifting-Had Enough Finally
?
Old 09-23-2020, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good read but no, like I said shifts great up until the pin cracks into two pieces.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

Have you checked the 5th/reverse shift rail isn’t bent? Possibly loading the shift fork.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes same location roll pin and finger both have holes drilled through the pin all the way though same break as before.
Roll pin? Like these spring pins?

Or like these rolled pins?
Old 09-23-2020, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well it happened again. I was accelerating hard in third gear, getting on the freeway, tried to shift to 4th and could not tried 5th then 4th then 3rd and finally got it in 5th and limped home Took it apart watched a bunch of tremec videos on the web ordered the parts needed {surprisingly not to expensive} and rebuilt the transmission. This time I paid close attention to the gear cluster on the bottom and added sims. It was out of spec. Not sure if this is what caused the 5th gear reverse pin to crack in half but this is the second time it has happened. All the gears and the syncros are like new. I am using pennzoil synchromesh and the transmission shifts great for me usually no issues. Any thoughts why this keeps happening? Just wondering what would cause this to happen other than a bad part or poor design their are two holes drilled though the pin one for the finger and one for the roll pin that holds the finger in place. Car has only 7300 miles
Do you have any pics of this failure?

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 09-23-2020, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Gear Box Video on Youtube by Paul Cangialosi has some great videos on the Tremecs. He is not a fan of them.
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Gear Box Video on Youtube by Paul Cangialosi has some great videos on the Tremecs. He is not a fan of them.
Paul does have some good videos.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 09-23-2020, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

pin and roll pin along with finger{not the correct term} were brand new not bent. yes I have looked at dozens of videos called tremec sent to silver sport they are working on a fix Meanwhile stuck using the pins from tremec. I am looking to upgrade to a magnum but it seems to be to long to fit in a backdraft. Motor is moved back in these cars for better handling. Not sure what it would take to install just want to keep the tko its lighter and smaller. Gears are plenty strong just the pin is the problem.Don"t know why paul is not a fan it has larger gears than a top loader just the pin should be a easy fix. Also it is a five speed whats not to like again other than the pin?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Don"t know why paul is not a fan it has larger gears than a top loader
From what I remember, I think a couple reasons.

the brass synchro rings, directly linked to the output shaft, are there to gradually bind on the cone surface of the gears, to "synchronize" the speed of the gears and counter gears to the speed of the output shaft, so you can smoothly engage the gears when shifting. The heavier the gears / counter shaft gears are, the harder it is for the synchro rings to change the speed of the gears / counter gears, slowing the shift. So lighter gears, by definition, should shift smoother and faster.

The TKO has I believe a 3 rail internal shifter arrangement, where as the T5, and T56 are single rail / common rail, theoretically smoother for performance shifting.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 09-24-2020, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Roll pin? Like these spring pins?

Or like these rolled pins?
the top imege .