• 1 Post By cycleguy55

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Cobra kit
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for steering column parts

I have a 1966 and the top end of the steering is too loose. Wanted to replace it. Or fix it but cannot find one out there. Why is it so hard to find my parts lol ?

Is it me or are there very limited parts suppliers in US/Canada??
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2020, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Whose kit did you build?

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

White,

This is probably the best quality brand, available from them or a bunch of other retailers: https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=2

Just measure diameters and count numbers of splines carefully!

Tom
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMing View Post
I have a 1966 and the top end of the steering is too loose. Wanted to replace it. Or fix it but cannot find one out there. Why is it so hard to find my parts lol ?

Is it me or are there very limited parts suppliers in US/Canada??
I can't tell for sure from your photos, but are you looking to replace more than the universal joint?

That universal joint is DD on one end and splined on the other. You'll need to measure it and count splines to figure out what you need, but there really aren't that many different options.

Start by downloading the Borgeson catalogue and figuring out what you have. Most of this stuff is available from Summit Racing, as well as many other local and internet speed shops.

http://www.borgeson.com/Images/100th_Catalog.pdf
Tom Wells likes this.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

White,

The more I look at your pictures, the less I think there's a wear problem.

It begins to look like a support problem, i.e., if there's not a lower steering column bushing - and it doesn't look like there is one there, it may be a redesign/support problem. The "loose" part of the steering may be flex in the shahfts' locations due to insufficient support. You could check this by turning the wheel and observing/measuring the side movement of any or all of the shaft components. Believe me, if there's any flex, the car will seem to wander all over the road. Fixing this will make it into a new car!

First, I'd suggest looking into a lower steering column bushing.

Second, I'd suggest you read this: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Artic...le?keyId=28638

And also look at Flaming River or Ididit for advice on their web sites.

You may want to consider installing a double u-joint and a center support as they outline in the article.

I couldn't tell if there is a third u-joint, or some kind of rubber flex joint at the steering rack, but if there is, the problem would be significant.

Hope this helps,

Tom

PS: There's some welding at the upper u-joint. Unless these parts are meant to be welded (and some are definitely not) this could be a major safety hazard since welding can embrittle some kinds of steel.

Last edited by Tom Wells; 10-09-2020 at 05:23 PM..
Old 10-09-2020, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks like you may need a Heim bearing support installed in between the upper and lower universals. https://www.summitracing.com/tx/part...00000/overview

I used a mixture on Borgeson and Woodward steering parts on mine. Woodward has wider selection in spline sizes and will mix / match either side of a universal to to what ever you want (spline, DD, etc...) at no extra charge.
http://www.woodwardsteering.com/PDF/...d%20Shafts.pdf
Old 10-10-2020, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try this place. They make just about every type of joint you need:

https://sweetmfg.biz/pages.php?pageid=10
Old 10-10-2020, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
White,

The more I look at your pictures, the less I think there's a wear problem.

It begins to look like a support problem, i.e., if there's not a lower steering column bushing - and it doesn't look like there is one there, it may be a redesign/support problem. The "loose" part of the steering may be flex in the shahfts' locations due to insufficient support. You could check this by turning the wheel and observing/measuring the side movement of any or all of the shaft components. Believe me, if there's any flex, the car will seem to wander all over the road. Fixing this will make it into a new car!

First, I'd suggest looking into a lower steering column bushing.

Second, I'd suggest you read this: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Artic...le?keyId=28638

And also look at Flaming River or Ididit for advice on their web sites.

You may want to consider installing a double u-joint and a center support as they outline in the article.

I couldn't tell if there is a third u-joint, or some kind of rubber flex joint at the steering rack, but if there is, the problem would be significant.

Hope this helps,

Tom

PS: There's some welding at the upper u-joint. Unless these parts are meant to be welded (and some are definitely not) this could be a major safety hazard since welding can embrittle some kinds of steel.
I agree. After looking at it again I see there's no support between the steering column and the steering rack - that's potentially a big problem that should be addressed before replacing components. A Heim joint support for that shaft would do wonders to take out the 'wobbly' and improve the steering.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do not see what is stabilizing the bottom of the steering column. Normally, there is a bearing there or a spring set-up to stop the shaft from moving around in the column. Yours just seems to end. The set-up you have is similar to mine, but mine has a column support and a spring before the first joint.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

I'll buck the "consensus" of the lack of support (assuming that there's a bearing hidden in the tube coming out of the foot-box. It may be a little bit whippy, but the design looks acceptable to me, if less than ideal.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Perhaps simply suggesting the owner should reach down and grab the joint and pull on it to see how much movement there is and report back would put the question to rest if he need additional support? He says the”top end” is loose.... that leads me to believe the problem is in the shaft between the steering wheel and the exit into the engine compartment. If that is indeed a splattering of welding I seen on the joint, there must have been and earlier issue for it to be put there as a repair. But like so many, he appears to have vanished after asking for help?
To me it looks like a splined universal with a profiled rod pushed into it and a splattering of weld to hold it together. I see no locking bolt on that joint either.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 10-14-2020 at 06:18 AM..

Tags
parts, replica cobra, steering column