17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2020, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Do not yet have one but want to get one!
Not Ranked     
Smile Cobra for tall man

Hi All, I am new to Club Cobra but not new to wanting a Cobra. I am 6'8", 245 lbs and I know that there have been a lot of strides made in accommodating someone my size comfortably in a Cobra over the years. I had the great fortune of meeting 7'1" Bob Evans and he was incredibly gracious to allow me to drive his 289 FIA Cobra in 2007 in Las Vegas. The car was beautiful and maintained the correct stock wheelbase. It fit me perfectly! I came very close to buying it in 2007 but it was just too much car for me to handle at the time and I opted for a Corvette Z06 then a Saleen Extreme S281 and I enjoyed both cars. I currently have a 1969 Bronco that I love to take rock crawling but I really want to get a great Cobra that fits me well and that has the stock wheelbase. I am not interested in a stretch version. I am starting the process of doing research on reputable builders and I am hoping you out there in the Cobra community can give me a head start from your experience. I live in Southern California in Agoura Hills. I would like to keep my search within California if possible so that I can get a vehicle that is already SB100 certified. I am interested in either the 289FIA or 427. Any thoughts, ideas that you have would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Dan
tkb289 likes this.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Big and Tall editing

Dan.

First off, welcome and good luck with your search. Secondly, I can't imagine being 6'8 and trying to shoehorn into one of these cars especially if it had the top on. I know Backdraft offers a big and tall edition car and I would imagine other manufacturers do as well. I am sure they would do custom orders. Good luck.

Fred
ront49 and Rhody like this.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

What make was Mr. Evans car?
Old 12-30-2020, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Check with Jeff Classic. He builds beautiful Cobrettes that would fit you. They are on a Corvette chassis so they handle, ride, and stop verywell.
jeffclassic@Cobrasnvettescom.
Jeff is a perfectionist and his attention to detail is outstanding. His cars are definitely much bigger than other Cobras but unless one is next to a 90" model, 90% of people would not know the difference.
Rhody likes this.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

No matter what, don't buy a car THAT YOU HAVE NOT SIT IN!!! All makes are different and even the same make (particularly Superformance) has changes between generations. I "tried on" a SPF and the rest of me fit but the steering wheel hit my lap.
Rhody likes this.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD #2229
Not Ranked     

After sitting in several different types and not being comfortable I ordered a Backdraft recently specifically because of the increased area in the foot box. The seat will be mounted on the floor without the slider as far back as possible to ensure no problems with the knees and the bottom of the dash.
ront49 and Rhody like this.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
What make was Mr. Evans car?
I believe Unique Motors made the car for Bob and Bob came up with many of the modifications that Unique used for future builds for tall drivers. I have included a couple of photos of Bob's 289 FIA at the time that I was considering the purchase. (Thanks again Bob for the awesome experience of allowing me to drive your great car!!)
Attached Images

Last edited by Rhody; 12-30-2020 at 07:47 AM..
Old 12-30-2020, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Fred for the recommendation! Dan
FredG likes this.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Tony, I completely agree! I would ONLY consider the purchase after making sure my body fit comfortably in the car. Best, Dan
Old 12-30-2020, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

at about 6'7"+ and 240, i'm pretty darn close in size. I shopped for one that had a perimeter frame, not the 4" round tube original style. Legroom is one thing, but if you mount your seat on top of the 4" tube, you gonna look like Dino from the flintstones, your shoulders will be above the window frame! I sit between the frame rails in mine, the bottom of the seat is on the floor pan, and I look 100% normal in it... until i crawl my way out and people realize how tall I am. Mine was a very low volume Can-Am cobra. I'm sure there are other brands built the same way.
Buzz, Morris and Rhody like this.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
No matter what, don't buy a car THAT YOU HAVE NOT SIT IN!!! All makes are different and even the same make (particularly Superformance) has changes between generations. I "tried on" a SPF and the rest of me fit but the steering wheel hit my lap.
Thanks Mark for the information! Who was your builder? Cheers Dan
Old 12-30-2020, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

UCC in Texas offers a big and tall version of their 94” wheelbase Cobra replica, not sure about the sb100 CA stuff, but there might be one out there available. Best bet might be to build a Unique Cobra to your exact specifications.
Rhody likes this.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Thanks Mark for the information! Who was your builder? Cheers Dan
Either you were asking Mark, and quoted the wrong one or you were asking me, Tony:

My car was Shelby CSX4005LA (chosen because it was comfortable to sit in and also because it was carbon fiber and thus hail resistant.
Rhody likes this.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Hi All, I am new to Club Cobra but not new to wanting a Cobra. I am 6'8", 245 lbs and I know that there have been a lot of strides made in accommodating someone my size comfortably in a Cobra over the years. I had the great fortune of meeting 7'1" Bob Evans and he was incredibly gracious to allow me to drive his 289 FIA Cobra in 2007 in Las Vegas. The car was beautiful and maintained the correct stock wheelbase. It fit me perfectly! I came very close to buying it in 2007 but it was just too much car for me to handle at the time and I opted for a Corvette Z06 then a Saleen Extreme S281 and I enjoyed both cars. I currently have a 1969 Bronco that I love to take rock crawling but I really want to get a great Cobra that fits me well and that has the stock wheelbase. I am not interested in a stretch version. I am starting the process of doing research on reputable builders and I am hoping you out there in the Cobra community can give me a head start from your experience. I live in Southern California in Agoura Hills. I would like to keep my search within California if possible so that I can get a vehicle that is already SB100 certified. I am interested in either the 289FIA or 427. Any thoughts, ideas that you have would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Dan
It's too bad you missed this one on BAT - Ferrari F355 built / modified for Shaquille O'Neal. Sold for $65K + buyer's premium.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...355-spider-18/
Old 12-31-2020, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

I own an older Unique FIA with the smaller original size foot boxes. I'm 6'2", 200lbs and really don't have issue with the depth of the boxes in my car. I have sit in one of Maurice's "Unique's owner" new cars and they have enough room for my wife to sit in my lap. I even had to tip toe to reach the pedals. IMO, you are going to have a problem getting your feet in it. Your pedal placement is going to be very crucial. I have 10.5 shoes and have skinny shoes for driving my Cobra. No way I could ever get my safety boots in there.

I have a neighbor with the same car. When he built his, he mounted his pedals way high. He has to actually remove his heal from the floorboard to press the brake and clutch. In his car, you go through the gears then actually put your left foot flat on the floor.

I have a 6'8" friend who has sit in the passenger side of my car. He wears size 16 shoes. Ain't no way he could work my pedals.
Rhody likes this.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
I have a 6'8" friend who has sit in the passenger side of my car. He wears size 16 shoes. Ain't no way he could work my pedals.
You need to remember that Cobras were race cars. With the exception of Ken Miles, race drivers tend to be small framed. The car was "the right size" for them. I thought it was uncomfortable for long periods. I asked Carroll about that. His answer was something like "I paid the drivers to drive, not to be comfortable".

That said, remember that you don't get in a Cobra (or a GT40), you wear it. Remember that an off the shelf suit simply won't fit everyone.
Rhody likes this.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Compilation of Past Posts on Being Tall and Finding a Cobra

I went through old posts and collected what I felt were some of the best on this subject of being a tall guy and finding a cobra. Below are the posts with the source and the year. I thought this would be helpful to all of the other tall guys out there who share my problem and passion for a cobra. As a 6'8", 245 lb guy who wants to find the right cobra, there are several things I have taken to heart. 1) I need to take my time and not rush this decision. More than half the fun is being on the hunt for the right vehicle. 2) Finding the right builder who has a proven track record with tall drivers and is not giving me a line of bullsh** simply to sell me a vehicle. Are they willing to go the extra mile to make it work for me? 3) Sit in the vehicle and then sit in it again and again and again and consider every conceivable angle of my body in that car before considering a commitment. 4) Hoping to find other tall cobra drivers who would be willing to let me sit in their vehicle and discuss what they did to make it a success. 5) Not compromising! If Bob Evans at 7'1" can have a stock wheelbase 289FIA then I CAN get a stock Cobra that fits me great. 6) Learning from other people's mistakes and successes and recognizing that at the end of the day I only have myself to blame if I make the wrong decision.

Tall guys in cobra: Reno Steve, July 2016:

I realize this is a old thread but I can add to the confusion about height vs cobras !! I am 6 ' 6 " and always wanted a 427 cobra ( always ) ! Living in Lake Forest ca. I was 8 min from superformance headquarters , stopped in one day . I sat in different cars from gt 40s , not a chance !, to daytonas almost but not quite. After buying a superformance ( with the dropped foot box )with a 482 ci shelby engine I was determined. Then Ashton , lance Standers son said he could help. Removing the seat rail didn't help so he had a plan. Removing the carpeting and floor pan he cut off the seat bolting tabs at the top of the tube frame and welded them to the bottom . Fabricated a new aluminum floor pan , sealed all the seams and modified the seat bottom hoop . Bolted the seat as far back with a slight tilt back . Carpet reinstalled and badabing I am driving my beautiful Cobra in Reno now with room to move my knees and a little extra . Looking straight out the middle of the wind screen , level with my wife next to me Totally impressed with Superformance cars fit ,finish and employees . It's no wonder Carroll Shelby choice them to build all the Shelby continuation cars. So my long inseam brothers , you have a way to your dream !!

WBulk 2009:

Pacific Roadster builds a car for bigger guys. I believe it is still a 90" Wheel base.
Pacific Roadster, cobra kit, Wide Body,Cobra Replica,Kit Car,Hot Rod - YouTube

*I have been researching this subject for months and have been evaluating the measurements companies have given me. I found that one key area not discussed is the various brands height of their bodies. I don't like setting high in the car and looking close to or through the top windshield bar. The measurement for comparison I have been using is from the center top rear cowl deck down to the main floor. I finally caught on to this by riding in a friends Kirkham at the track and I had plenty of room at 6'2" and 240 lbs. I was setting far lower in his car than mine. Mine measured 24" and the Kirkham is 26 1/4". The Kirkham body was a copy of their original Shelby Cobra that I have seen several times.

I also had a conversation with one of the old time cobra builders a couple of weeks ago and was told there are low, medium and high bodies. Many manufacturers don't know this. The Kirkham body is higher and you can see it through the nose and down the sides. I think it's the best looking body.

I am looking for my next project and was discussing this with a friend that has a new FFR Mark IV. He is 6' 4" and fits fine in his car. I asked how could this be, I tired setting in one in 2009 and couldn't get my knee under the dash. It seems they have made a lot of changes to the car. I asked my friend to take the cowl height measurement and it was 26 1/2" with carpet and pad, so figure about 27".

There are a few other critical measurements to check. One is from the floor to the bottom of the dash, another is from the front footbox firewall to the rear wall where the floor meets it. The width of the footbox at the pedal is important and the width for the seat, from tunnel to door. It sure would be nice if these were posted on the manufacturers websites.

Confirm measurements given to you as one manufacturer claimed two inches more in a critical area than a friend measured for me on his car that was just purchased from that company. The measurements don't lie and beware of gimmics to make you fit. Remember the car may fit you fine but if you ever sell it, it may not fit the taller market.

This being said it is one element of what makes up a good car. You may have one car that has all the room you need but the quality may not as good as one that has a little less room. I am looking at FFR again.

Twobjshelbys 2009:

You really need to "try on" the one's you're interested in. Go to car shows and strike up conversations with Cobra owners. Most will let you sit in the driver's seat. Pay attention to how the steering wheel clears your lap when driving with right foot on the accelerator and when shifting, and also how your left leg clears the bottom of the instrument panel when depressing the clutch to shift, and "at rest" (I like to pull my foot back closer to the seat to relieve the muscle cramps). Unlike most cars there is very little foot room to be able to switch feet on the accelerator when on a long cruise. And there ain't no cruise control*

I found the Shelby CSX wheel was the only one that gave me the clearance due to the higher angle on the steering column. A SPF hit me on the thighs - the dealer's solution was to hard mount the seat to the floor removing the adjustment tracks. All of them are tight, just some tighter than others.

XLR8TR 2008:

If you are at the build stage, I've always thought John Chestnuts solution was the best I've seen: he runs the headers up and over the footbox. This gains you probably 5" in available room to extend the footboxes, since you dont have to leave room for the 4 exhaust pipes. I have pics but they are in .pdf's so I cant post them. John is a member on here, he could send to you.

Its of personal interest as I'm 6'7" and mine is a bit tight on legroom.

TKB 289 2007:
I faced the same issue when looking for a Cobra and I too am also 6'-4" tall. There are some good suggestions here, but you might want to step back and take a look at the problem from a different perspective.

For the moment, forget the your height and ask yourself a few questions?

- What kind of Cobra do you like … 427 or 289 ?

- Is having a 90" wheel base car important, or would longer wheel base Cobra be acceptable. Keep in mind the original cars have a 90" wheel base as do a number of replicas.

So let's say you want a 90" wheel base 427, next step would be to look on Cobra Country and see what's there, then home in on say two manufacturers. Once you have narrowed it down to that then dig deeper on those Cobras you really want.

Most likely the brand of Cobra you prefer can be modified to fit with some degree of comfort. Between the manufacturer, installers and members here on Club Cobra, they would have tips on how to modify the car. It also may depend on how much wiggling in and out you what to put up with. The modifications may not make things completely comfortable, just less miserable ...*

That being said, once you are in your car and reasonably comfortable, driving it is the best part !

For me the answer was an ERA 289 FIA with raised dash, slightly taller roll bar and pedals as far forward as possible.

Good luck in your search.

MREID 2008:

You can modify them to fit you, but your dimensions, as mentioned above, are important. I'm 6'4" and fit in my Kirkham just fine. Yes, it's like puting on a cheap suit, but once in and adjusted, it's comfortable. Most of my height is in my legs (36" inseam), but with the seat moved all the way back and bolted to the floor (no sliders), a dropped foot box and floor mounted pedals, I'm good. I stretch my left leg out to depress the clutch and my line of site is about 3" below the top of the windshield frame. My brother is also 6'4", but his height is more in his torso. His line of site is right at the windshielld frame and he has to stretch to fully depress the clutch. Us tall guys have to fine tune the car to fit us, but that means it is hard for others to drive. That works just fine for me!

CN GREEN 2006:

I'm close to 6'6" and 320 lbs with a size 16 shoe. I made some basic mods to my FFR MKIII and I fit fine. As Mark mentioned, like a glove, but it's comfortable. Basic mods are:

Kirkey Vintage seats. Mine are in a u-shaped bracket that tilts it ever so slightly forward, bolted to the floor. This adds 2" to both verticle and horizontal legroom. I also have Wilwood adjustable pedals, which add 2" more. EDIT: I called FFR and confirmed that adjustable Wilwood pedals are part of the MKIV kit now, not an aftermarket item as in my car. /EDIT I have a 350 HP BOSS 302 in my car and that allows me to use a inner footbox wall that is straight instead of bent. Also, for my big feet, I cut out the crash bar on the left side of the footbox. The FFR MKIV has a different radious on the bar now and If I had a MKIV I wouldn't have had to cut it out.

With these mods I can fit just fine, and didn't have to resort to a stretched wheelbase. As a matter of fact i fit better in my car than I did in a 96" wheelbase car I tried on at a get together once…

RON61, 2001:

You might talk to Enerson Motorsports who is on this club. I have seen cars they they built for guy's from 6'6" and over 350 pound on. So far they have made them all fit to the customers satisfaction. He is in Redding, Cal.which is in Northern Cal.
ront49 and RunWithScizzors like this.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Great research Rhody! As a new member of Club Cobra, you can obviously see the value of this forum. There is not much Cobra information that isn't able to be resourced here. You're 4" taller than I am, so I can imagine the challenge you are having. Best of luck with your research and planning.

Cheers,
Glen
Rhody likes this.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojets View Post
After sitting in several different types and not being comfortable I ordered a Backdraft recently specifically because of the increased area in the foot box. The seat will be mounted on the floor without the slider as far back as possible to ensure no problems with the knees and the bottom of the dash.
I too have a BDR and enjoy it very much however, after about an hour of driving, I'm ready to get out and stretch...my problem is in order to stretch out my legs while driving I have to keep the seat back all the way which works well for leg room but then I can't depress the clutch all the way...Soooo, I solve that issue by keeping the seat close to the pedals unless I'm out on the interstate for a long stretch. I'm 6' with short legs.
Rhody likes this.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Yes, Rhody, Unique Motorcars (the Weavers) built Bob's car. They will customize a car for you, however you want. They do great work! Call Maurice at 256-546-3708. As Incoming mentioned, they have extended the foot boxes on their cars. I got the very first one of those, ten years ago! They are working on my 289 USRRC version as we speak! Keep in mind that with the Weavers, you are not buying a car, you are joining the family!
Buzz and Rhody like this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear

Tags
big, custom, man, tall