Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Cobra Talk Areas > ALL COBRA TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
January 2021
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31            

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree34Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2021, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 53
Not Ranked     
Default

Hopefully, we can all get together as a family again soon. I'll bring the Stella.
Rhody likes this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2021, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 10
Not Ranked     
Default

This is a very timely thread for me as I am actively shopping for a Cobra that I can drive comfortably. Thanks, Rhody, for sharing that legwork!
I am 6'5" and long-wasted, so seat height relative to the windshield is as much concern for me as legroom. I have my heart set on a replica 427 Street Roadster. So I have a challenging combination of specs: lowered seat height, under-car exhaust, and needing to retain seat tracks so that my 5'9" spouse can also drive it. Mufflers are typically positioned under the seat floor, taking up valuable vertical space. Has anyone solved this dilemma?
Rhody likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2021, 04:43 PM
Rhody's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: Do not yet have one but want to get one!
Posts: 12
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post
Yes, Rhody, Unique Motorcars (the Weavers) built Bob's car. They will customize a car for you, however you want. They do great work! Call Maurice at 256-546-3708. As Incoming mentioned, they have extended the foot boxes on their cars. I got the very first one of those, ten years ago! They are working on my 289 USRRC version as we speak! Keep in mind that with the Weavers, you are not buying a car, you are joining the family!
Thanks Paul! I really appreciate your input! Cheers, Rhody
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2021, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Posts: 644
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunWithScizzors View Post
This is a very timely thread for me as I am actively shopping for a Cobra that I can drive comfortably. Thanks, Rhody, for sharing that legwork!
I am 6'5" and long-wasted, so seat height relative to the windshield is as much concern for me as legroom. I have my heart set on a replica 427 Street Roadster. So I have a challenging combination of specs: lowered seat height, under-car exhaust, and needing to retain seat tracks so that my 5'9" spouse can also drive it. Mufflers are typically positioned under the seat floor, taking up valuable vertical space. Has anyone solved this dilemma?
Unique has changed their frame design, perhaps 4-5 years ago, to gain some additional ability to accommodate taller drivers/passengers. Bob is taller that you, so you should fit in the Unique, no problem. As you probably know, there were variations in the original 427 bodies. Their 427 body style is my personal favorite! By the way, the https://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/forum.php forum, not associated with the Weavers, is a wealth of info about Unique Cobras. It is definitely worth a look. Alan Weaver posts there so you can ask questions and get answers direct from the source.
Rhody likes this.
__________________

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear

Last edited by PDUB; 01-01-2021 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2021, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 4
Not Ranked     
Default

Rhody, I could have written your 1st post with the exception that I am 6'3" tall 250lb. and I want a 427 SC . I am really like the Superformance cars. With the virus and winter in the east it is had to get out and try on any Cobras. Hopefully maybe some Superformance owners will chime in. Thanks all for the above information.
Rhody likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2021, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Posts: 644
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Homecoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
Hopefully, we can all get together as a family again soon. I'll bring the Stella.
Agreed! My son and I really missed Homecoming this year! It is so good to get together with everyone each year. That is one reason it seems like an extended family... good friends, good food, good times!
Dwight and Rhody like this.
__________________

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2021, 08:08 AM
Dwight's Avatar
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Florence, AL
Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Posts: 4,436
Not Ranked     
Smile

has anyone suggested looking at Lone Star.

The wheelbase is 4" longer and the doors and interior are 4" longer. With the correct steering wheel and pedal set up a big guy can fit easily.

Attention has to be paid to the angle of the windshield to keep the drivers eyes below the windshield frame. Also a seat mounted as low as possible.

We had a great big guy in our group that made his FFR fit his 6'5" frame.
Rhody likes this.
__________________
''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' ~ John Wayne
"Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon"
life's goal should be; "to be smarter than inanimate objects"
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2021, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 10
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
has anyone suggested looking at Lone Star
I understand that Lone Star is no longer in business and that their assets were acquired by Ultimate Classic Cars. UCC offers those same extended dimensions.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2021, 09:07 AM
RUFdriver's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, Tx
Cobra Make, Engine: UCC build in progress
Posts: 130
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunWithScizzors View Post
I understand that Lone Star is no longer in business and that their assets were acquired by Ultimate Classic Cars. UCC offers those same extended dimensions.
Correct. Lone Star went out of business and it’s assets were purchased by UCC. The UCC Cobra has the same 94” wheelbase, but many improvements to the body and chassis.
Rhody likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2021, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Posts: 367
Not Ranked     
Default

Have Shelby csx4163 6' 3" 275 lbs. Dropped foot box, removable steering wheel, Ken Miles aluminum seat on floor with custom bracket, works for me.
Rhody likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2021, 05:19 AM
DanEC's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central, AR
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Posts: 4,207
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunWithScizzors View Post
This is a very timely thread for me as I am actively shopping for a Cobra that I can drive comfortably. Thanks, Rhody, for sharing that legwork!
I am 6'5" and long-wasted, so seat height relative to the windshield is as much concern for me as legroom. I have my heart set on a replica 427 Street Roadster. So I have a challenging combination of specs: lowered seat height, under-car exhaust, and needing to retain seat tracks so that my 5'9" spouse can also drive it. Mufflers are typically positioned under the seat floor, taking up valuable vertical space. Has anyone solved this dilemma?
You list several items that will all be in conflict - long upper body, lowered seat height, seat tracks and under-car mufflers. In my ERA street roadster I skipped the seat tracks and some seat foam thickness and I sit comfortably in it - but I’m only 6-2. You sit directly over the mufflers on a street car and dropping the floor any will basically put a 4” thick muffler with 1” floor clearance nearly on the ground. I run 3” thick SpinTech mufflers with a normal floor pan on top of frame rails car and I would not want to position them any lower. From a ground level perspective you can see must of my mufflers below the rocker panel and I have extended rockers to mimic the rocker curvature on original cars. I think even the lowest profile seat tracks add 1” mounting height and an inch here and an inch there all add up to looking thru the top of the windshield frame. To get a comfortable seating position a couple of those priorities would have to go unless you can find a car with a body stretched vertically as well as in length - IMO.
Rhody likes this.
__________________
ERA 782 Running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfge...b1-77fqwFRu7c]
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2021, 09:28 AM
Rhody's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: Do not yet have one but want to get one!
Posts: 12
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post
Unique has changed their frame design, perhaps 4-5 years ago, to gain some additional ability to accommodate taller drivers/passengers. Bob is taller that you, so you should fit in the Unique, no problem. As you probably know, there were variations in the original 427 bodies. Their 427 body style is my personal favorite! By the way, the https://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/forum.php forum, not associated with the Weavers, is a wealth of info about Unique Cobras. It is definitely worth a look. Alan Weaver posts there so you can ask questions and get answers direct from the source.
Thanks Paul! I am definitely leaning in the direction of Unique. I really liked what they did with Bob's Cobra when I drove it and they would definitely be able to fit me perfectly. Cheers, Dan
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2021, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 10
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
You list several items that will all be in conflict...
Indeed, why I called it a dilemma. Conundrum? Has anyone ever routed the exhaust pipes down the center tunnel and placed the mufflers in the back, a la Corvette, XKE, etc.?
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2021, 02:21 PM
xlr8tr's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lions Bay, BC
Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Posts: 324
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunWithScizzors View Post
Indeed, why I called it a dilemma. Conundrum? Has anyone ever routed the exhaust pipes down the center tunnel and placed the mufflers in the back, a la Corvette, XKE, etc.?
I dont think there is enough width there- there certainly would not be with mine, without screwing up the "headroom".

This is all a geometry/space usage problem. Other thoughts/options that I have used or thought about using:

1) I modified the seat. I took a oval shaped chunk out where the lower part of the seat back hits the wheel tub. Then, i put a new chunk of aluminum back on the seat. that new chunk is basically a reverse of what was there before, its a forward dimple, instead of a indented dimple. You actually dont even notice it if you do it right, the dimple fits inbetween your hip bone and ribs (kidney area??) but you gain about 2" legroom, and also room to tilt the seat back more.

2) tilt the seat back with wedges under the seat: high at the front of the seat (duh). The back of the seat ends up bolted directly to the floor. This mod drops your head down = more headroom. What it also does is pull your feet back, effectively giving you more legroom: to prove this to yourself, sit upright in a tilting chair. Put feet on the ground. lean back. Knees go up, feet move back. Be careful you dont end up with knees bashing ther bottom of the steering wheel (although then you raise the steering wheel a bit, ask me how i figured that out...)

3) take the seat cover off and shave a bunch of seat foam out. Mine is still surprisingly comfortable if you sculpt the foam to fit your ass cheeks . I shaved both the seat area and the back, which gained me both head and legroom. Do it in stages! easier to take out than put back There are fancy kits you can buy that allow a 100% custom foam arrangement, you pour the foam into a bag you are sitting on or something like that, the foam expands around your body for a perfect custom fit. I'm not allowed to use the crack filling foam around our house any more so i dont think this would go well for me.

4) haven't done it yet on mine, but I could move the whole pedal assembly forward probably 2-3" as full travel on the pedals at the moment ends up at least 3" from the firewall. I'd box out where the current pedal arrangement bolts to the engine side of the firewall.

5) very significant mod option: John Chestnut on this site made a custom cobra where the footbox was SUPER long, and the headers actually went up and over the footbox then down and out. So, now your feet can go all the way to the front wheel tub. Probably 6-8" on most cobras if you look at it.

6) not quite as significant mod option: take your existing headers, and the 4 separate exhaust pipes that are basically in a square shape (2 above 2) that sit in front of the footbox, between the footbox and the front wheel tub: re-route the two closest to the footbox to on top/underneath the other two, so you end up with the 4 pipes stacked vertically before the collector. Think this shape:
O
O
O
O

Instead of this shape:
OO
OO
This will allow you to extend the footbox at least by the diameter of the exhaust pipes (likely an easy 3"). Keeps the same collector location likely.

7) for a spouse, you could rig up a sliding pedal scenario instead of a sliding seat.

Hope this gets the ideas flowing for people.
Rhody likes this.
__________________
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2021, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 4
Not Ranked     
Default

I thought maybe a tall Superformance Cobra owner would chime in. I have read they will accommodate a driver 6'3" tall. The later cars have dropped foot box's if I am not mistaken. I would love to have a Superformance but it has been several years since I sat in one.
Rhody likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2021, 03:54 PM
twobjshelbys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Posts: 4,073
Not Ranked     
Default

So you're "tall". Are you longer in the legs or torso? It matters.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony
CSX4005LA
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2021, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 10
Not Ranked     
Default

Me? I am 6'5" and long-wasted, so seat height relative to the top of the windshield is of more concern than legroom. There is only so much distance between the road surface and the top of the windshield. I'm confident that the pedal distance problem is solvable.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2021, 05:29 PM
twobjshelbys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Posts: 4,073
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunWithScizzors View Post
Me? I am 6'5" and long-wasted, so seat height relative to the top of the windshield is of more concern than legroom. There is only so much distance between the road surface and the top of the windshield. I'm confident that the pedal distance problem is solvable.
Me too. My head was above the top of the windshield. Went for one of my first rides with a baseball cap that I left behind on the road (didn't stop). After that I used my Grand Canyon chin strap retaining method. I could have lowered it but it wasn't worth it.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony
CSX4005LA
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2021, 10:18 PM
Rhody's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: Do not yet have one but want to get one!
Posts: 12
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8tr View Post
I dont think there is enough width there- there certainly would not be with mine, without screwing up the "headroom".

This is all a geometry/space usage problem. Other thoughts/options that I have used or thought about using:

1) I modified the seat. I took a oval shaped chunk out where the lower part of the seat back hits the wheel tub. Then, i put a new chunk of aluminum back on the seat. that new chunk is basically a reverse of what was there before, its a forward dimple, instead of a indented dimple. You actually dont even notice it if you do it right, the dimple fits inbetween your hip bone and ribs (kidney area??) but you gain about 2" legroom, and also room to tilt the seat back more.

2) tilt the seat back with wedges under the seat: high at the front of the seat (duh). The back of the seat ends up bolted directly to the floor. This mod drops your head down = more headroom. What it also does is pull your feet back, effectively giving you more legroom: to prove this to yourself, sit upright in a tilting chair. Put feet on the ground. lean back. Knees go up, feet move back. Be careful you dont end up with knees bashing ther bottom of the steering wheel (although then you raise the steering wheel a bit, ask me how i figured that out...)

3) take the seat cover off and shave a bunch of seat foam out. Mine is still surprisingly comfortable if you sculpt the foam to fit your ass cheeks . I shaved both the seat area and the back, which gained me both head and legroom. Do it in stages! easier to take out than put back There are fancy kits you can buy that allow a 100% custom foam arrangement, you pour the foam into a bag you are sitting on or something like that, the foam expands around your body for a perfect custom fit. I'm not allowed to use the crack filling foam around our house any more so i dont think this would go well for me.

4) haven't done it yet on mine, but I could move the whole pedal assembly forward probably 2-3" as full travel on the pedals at the moment ends up at least 3" from the firewall. I'd box out where the current pedal arrangement bolts to the engine side of the firewall.

5) very significant mod option: John Chestnut on this site made a custom cobra where the footbox was SUPER long, and the headers actually went up and over the footbox then down and out. So, now your feet can go all the way to the front wheel tub. Probably 6-8" on most cobras if you look at it.

6) not quite as significant mod option: take your existing headers, and the 4 separate exhaust pipes that are basically in a square shape (2 above 2) that sit in front of the footbox, between the footbox and the front wheel tub: re-route the two closest to the footbox to on top/underneath the other two, so you end up with the 4 pipes stacked vertically before the collector. Think this shape:
O
O
O
O

Instead of this shape:
OO
OO
This will allow you to extend the footbox at least by the diameter of the exhaust pipes (likely an easy 3"). Keeps the same collector location likely.

7) for a spouse, you could rig up a sliding pedal scenario instead of a sliding seat.

Hope this gets the ideas flowing for people.
These are great ideas Mark! Thanks so much for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2021, 10:24 PM
Rhody's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: Do not yet have one but want to get one!
Posts: 12
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
So you're "tall". Are you longer in the legs or torso? It matters.
For me at 6'8" with 36" inseam I have an issue with both my legs and torso. A lot of awesome ideas have been described so far to address both the upper and lower half of my body! I am feeling more confident that armed with this information and the right builder I can finally get the Cobra that works for me. Fortunately my wife is 5'5" so she won't have an issue! Greatly appreciate all of the help. Cheers, Dan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
big, custom, man, tall

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy
Links monetized by VigLink