Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2022, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Yet another LED light question.......

Hello all, first off, I did do a search on this question and either the answer is not there or I didn't find it so here goes. I just got a new set of tail lights from United Pacific. My car has four wires, ground, tail lights, stop and turn. The new LED light set up has only three...ground, tail and they are calling the third wire "stop light and turn signals". Here is the question: am I supposed to just tie both the stop and turn wires together and connect them to the one on the lights???? any info on this is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for reading my thread!!!!!
Old 01-01-2022, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Msinc,
Your Superformance MkIII (if stock) has 2 bulbs each in the rear fixtures . Unless you have a 289 chassis. The 289 cars have an adapter to make them work. The brake and indicator share the same circuit and bulb on the 289 cars.Not sure what you purchased but send me an email if you like and we will work thru tge problem.
Blas
msinc likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 01-01-2022, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Email sent and thank you for the reply to my post!!!!!
Old 01-02-2022, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

msinc,
When you're talking wiring with Blas order his wiring diagram for your car. These are excellent and a great resource.
And yes, Blas is a friend, but that doesn't minimize the value of his work.
Jim
former owner of 1855 and 2584
msinc likes this.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you sir!!!!
Old 01-02-2022, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351w
Not Ranked     

I agree with Jim. Best place to start would be getting in touch with Blas.
msinc likes this.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, while the installation instructions are lacking in detail, the lighting fixture itself looks quite well built and it is quite a bit brighter than any other modification attempt I have seen to date. A little playing around with the mounting screws thru the existing holes in the body might be required. That being a car by car fit-up issue on a hand built car I wound presume. But easily remedied I’m told.
If you purchase a set remember to get their flasher unit or source one locally.
Blas
msinc likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

all you need is this draw-tite 119130 Taillight converter kit.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/119130-d...e%2C149&sr=1-1

I had the 2 bulbs on my FFR mk3 and swapped tail lights to the UP LED rectangle cobras tails and it works perfect.
msinc likes this.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes sir, that is one part that will do it...I ordered the one from UP direct and it was half that price. Thanks for posting!!! Yours may be a better quality part. I have a "logic module" on order...as soon as I get it and do the install I will post here with a complete update. I just didn't want to post any info until I actually got the parts and tested them out. Thanks again sir!!!
Old 01-07-2022, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique and collectibles
Not Ranked     

I installed the same lights , they are very bright and work perfectly. My car is black so I feel a lot safer at night with the brighter lights . I can confirm you will need an appropriate flasher for led bulbs , a standard flasher does not recognize the low voltage draw and sees it as a burned out bulb and will go into rapid flash mode .
msinc likes this.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I finally was able to conclude this install. Here is an update on what I have learned. I hope someone out there might find some of this info useful....recall that the issue/question was that I got new LED tail lights to replace the filament bulb lights I had. The car is four wire but the new tail lights are only three. Why in the world United Pacific sells these lights but doesn't bother to tell you that you will need whats called a "logic module" for it to work properly is beyond me. In all fairness I have to say they do have a first rate customer service. You have to email them first, but they immediately responded with a call and very good instructions. They do in fact sell the module and it is cheap...somewhere around $20.00 or so. Install is very straight forward with zero issues and the lights work perfectly. They are very bright and easy to see in the daylight.
I too have an all black Cobra and was concerned when I saw how dull/"subdued" the stock tail lights appeared, especially in the day time. I think anyone will be real pleased with this conversion. It does add a few wires in the trunk, but they are easy enough to hide and the module itself is very small, so no issues there.
Once again, thanks to all that responded to my post, it is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Edit: Several folks posted that I might need a different flasher for the turn signals to operate properly, but in my case at least I did not. Once everything was connected all functions operated properly. I should also add that Blas is first rate...I ordered his wiring diagrams and he sent me all the tech bulletins on this Cobra!!!

Last edited by msinc; 01-11-2022 at 07:00 PM..
Old 01-11-2022, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinc View Post
Well I finally was able to conclude this install. Here is an update on what I have learned. I hope someone out there might find some of this info useful....recall that the issue/question was that I got new LED tail lights to replace the filament bulb lights I had. The car is four wire but the new tail lights are only three. Why in the world United Pacific sells these lights but doesn't bother to tell you that you will need whats called a "logic module" for it to work properly is beyond me. In all fairness I have to say they do have a first rate customer service. You have to email them first, but they immediately responded with a call and very good instructions. They do in fact sell the module and it is cheap...somewhere around $20.00 or so. Install is very straight forward with zero issues and the lights work perfectly. They are very bright and easy to see in the daylight.
I too have an all black Cobra and was concerned when I saw how dull/"subdued" the stock tail lights appeared, especially in the day time. I think anyone will be real pleased with this conversion. It does add a few wires in the trunk, but they are easy enough to hide and the module itself is very small, so no issues there.
Once again, thanks to all that responded to my post, it is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Edit: Several folks posted that I might need a different flasher for the turn signals to operate properly, but in my case at least I did not. Once everything was connected all functions operated properly. I should also add that Blas is first rate...I ordered his wiring diagrams and he sent me all the tech bulletins on this Cobra!!!
Photos?
raybones and msinc like this.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Photos?
I will be happy to post photos of whatever you would like to see...what is that sir???
Old 01-12-2022, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The car is four wire but the new tail lights are only three. Why in the world United Pacific sells these lights but doesn't bother to tell you that you will need whats called a "logic module" for it to work properly is beyond me.
The 3-wire tail lights are original, the 4-wire units are proprietary to Superformance. Original cars used a relay on the firewall to merge the brake and signal inputs. Some trailer relays can do the same thing.
rads42 and msinc like this.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII Ford Big Block
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I will be happy to post photos of whatever you would like to see...what is that sir???
I would like to see how they look lights on and off and is the wiring is visable in the trunk.

Thanks Ray
msinc likes this.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Regarding the question of upgrading the flasher for the turn signals to function, the issue is that LED lights don't draw enough current for some flashers to function properly. If you still have incandescent bulbs in the front turn signal lights, that's enough for the flasher to work properly.
msinc likes this.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybones View Post
I would like to see how they look lights on and off and is the wiring is visable in the trunk.

Thanks Ray
Here is a few photos...bright ones are brakes {and the turn signals are this bright too}. Less bright ones are the running or "tail" lights. Sorry, I now wish I had taken some before of the original filament lights. There is also some of the interior of the trunk to show the wire install. All wires are hidden from view if you just open the trunk and look in. You have to either look at the interior of the light to see wires or pull the carpet back in the center. One photo is of the carpet pulled back accordingly to show the little logic box and then as it appears when the carpet is back in place. Let me know if you want additional photos.

Edit: looks like I will have to do this in multiple posts .....

Name:  Brake lights.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  92.5 KBName:  Tail lights.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  86.8 KB
raybones likes this.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the logic module install with the carpet pulled back so you can see itName:  Logic Module.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  94.7 KB.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Name:  Wires Left.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  93.2 KBHere is a view of the wires on the drivers side...I should note that I may not be the neatest wiremen around. These are the only wires not covered by carpet. You have to look around the corner to see them, they are not visible just looking in the trunk.
Also, just so I am being clear, when you step on the brake they of course go full brightness on. When you are giving a turn signal and have the brake applied, such as slowing down to make a turn the one brake light is full on and the flashing light is also full brightness but flashing. Turn signals do not blink at the brightness of the tail or running lights.

Last edited by msinc; 01-12-2022 at 03:10 PM..
Old 01-12-2022, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You might want to add a protective sleeve of some kind where the wires enter the original light boxes. Chafing of wire insulation on the boxes could cause a problem down the road. The readily available split plastic sleeves might be just the thing to make the new wiring disappear.
Blas
msinc likes this.