Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2022, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Bet she's a boat motor block when all the numbers are revealed. Still a nice find.
twobjshelbys and Alfa02 like this.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:59 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@incoming, I'm putting money on that too, with 671 Blower (Drag Boat) that makes good sense. Nick (Owner) PM"ed me he lives in Sisters Ore. So a little farther away then I willing to drive But I still believe having someone around where he lives (Portland?) that dealers with these are his best bet.
eschaider and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Missed the picture of the SK number etched into the head shown, this puts the debate to bed as to whether they were "period factory" heads or not. They are not, they are the later "DOVE" reproductions. Ford did not cast or etch in the SK number in the originals. Nice heads if they remain unadulterated, just not 5-10K vintage originals.

Bill S.
1985 CCX likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-04-2022, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra FF5/BBM 482
Not Ranked     

Looks like the block is at least a 1968 or newer block as it has been drilled for hyd lifters. If it has ribs on other side of block it’s probably a service block
Old 03-04-2022, 03:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

It appears that what you have there is an old school style FE build that in and of itself is a pretty neat piece that has absolutely nothing to do with a Shelby Cobra, either the specific one you mention or any other. For one thing, I have never seen a Cobra with a blower on it. As others have mentioned, for you to have any shot at credibility when selling this still decent engine, you need to drop any and all references to a Cobra. This is almost certainly not a Cobra engine.

That said, there are some nice components there. Looks like a Milodon road racing style oil pan. Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like a very nice valve train setup on there. The Dove Canadian type heads are old school and surpassed by the more modern heads available from BBM and others, but they're decent pieces nonetheless. Edelbrock water pump is good. That blower intake manifiold is becoming a holy grail. They're very hard to come by and for someone who really wants one they'll pay a lot if cash for it. Other than perhaps the blcok, that intake might be the most valuable piece on this engine. A sideoiler block always has value. If it's a service block, it's at the lower end of the sideloiler block value scale. If it has more than one or two sleeves in it, the value starts dropping sharply. As to "strengthening the ribs", you've likely been sold a bill of goods on that one. If it's a boat engine and has seen salt water, it's value drops off a cliff. You'd need to give more info on the cam setup, valvetrain, and the rotating assembly, as well as a block casting number and the exact number of sleeves it has to get a decently accurate value number from the crew on here. That said this most certainly ain't a Cobra engine. It is a pretty cool piece though. Good luck with your sale.