Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2022, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 1966 Cobra 427 Engine for Sale

Hello, I found a 1966 Cobra 427 motor from vehicle CSX3196. I'd like to sell it. Please let me know if you want more details on the motor. It's in great shape and completely rebuilt. Thanks, Nick
Old 03-02-2022, 04:01 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumaloSisTruck View Post
Hello, I found a 1966 Cobra 427 motor from vehicle CSX3196. I'd like to sell it. Please let me know if you want more details on the motor. It's in great shape and completely rebuilt. Thanks, Nick
How do you know it is from CSX3196 (which supposedly still has it's original 427 centeroiler and 2X4 intake and carbs).
Is it a topoiler, sideoiler, or center oiler? Does it have push in, or screw in freeze plugs? What are the casting numbers on the engine block, heads, intake, and water pump?

Not calling you a scammer yet .
Tommy, sgianino, eschaider and 2 others like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-02-2022, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Yet someone else that finds a thing that they think will fund their 401K.

So, prove it. This is a pretty educated group so the burden of proof is on you.
FredG likes this.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not a scammer, but also far from an expert on these things. The engine has been rebuilt and never on an ignition in it's current state. The previous owner had the block restored to under standard measurements and then bored back to enable 250 Wall Sleeves. They were inserted by NW Motor Welders via the Cold to Hot technique. Webbing of the block was thickened bottom and top during the process. It has Aries Pistons and Rings. The heads are new. I was told Ford C8AX --> Racing Program for the GT40. New Crank and Rods as well. Bushed Rockers, Billet Rocker Shafts, Push Rocker. Gear drive system Cam/Crank/Idler. 4:30 gears. Standard 378 stroke, ARP Studs, correct bolts.

It also came with a Don Hampton Blower. 671 model for easier Falange work. Fly Wheel and Clutch were time for a 4 Speed. I believe Crower did a lot of the work.

I'm told the Block is stamped 3196 by Shelby. I'll find pictures. Please call 206-250-4086 to discuss it further. As you can tell I don't know what I really have, but these are details I have and was told it's a side oiler. It was supposedly pulled from a 1966 Cobra a long time ago.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:04 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm told the Block is stamped 3196 by Shelby. I'll find pictures. Please call 206-250-4086 to discuss it further. As you can tell I don't know what I really have, but these are details I have and was told it's a side oiler. It was supposedly pulled from a 1966 Cobra a long time ago.
I'll waiting for the casting numbers you find on the components before I even think to make a call . As for the stamping by Shelby, sorry, Jim may have had the numbers stamped, or his predecessor , but not from Shelby. As for the original motor, doubtful, but the casting numbers will tell the real story.

Bill S.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Shucks, I would like to know how the main webbing was "thickened" up.

While you are at it, was the double acting oil shuttle between the upper and lower oil galleries freshened up.
Blue66 likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#134 427 Ctr oiler 2x4's
Not Ranked     

Now we're getting into muffler bearing territory!
Old 03-03-2022, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good morning, I'm trying to get some pictures uploaded to this thread. Let me know if these don't work. I can tell that this forum has been abused in the past and I'm trying to be respectful of everyone's time. If the engine is a piece of crap so be it, but I think there's something here. You're feedback is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2022, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

It is a side oiler.

The oil pan and valve covers are not correct for a Cobra.

John
Old 03-03-2022, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi John, great feedback. What do you mean? The custom look the guy put on the valve covers with the copper dip or something different?

How about the heads? That badging results in this online: SK35369 Canadian Head
'65-'67/ 427 c.i.d. High Performance
2.18" Intake Valve, 1.72" Exhaust Valve, 88-91cc Chamber

Are this worth a damn?
Old 03-03-2022, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

My $0.02

Put the engine casting numbers up and sell it as any period engine from Ford.
Trying to attach this to a specific CSX3XXX car for the added $ will get heavy scrutiny. Most likely a no sale too, cashing in on the Shelby Cobra attachment seems to be a trending subject of many parts and cars as its in vogue now.

The statement "from CSX3XXX" starts one off on the wrong foot.

My guess is someone may need it however clearly a piece that needs work.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

The valve covers aren’t OEM for a Cobra. I don’t think that style was used except for over the counter. Same for the oil pan.

Side oilers have value, but not as much as some think. After market blocks are better. The value is in restorations or a guy that wants a Ford block for a Cobra build.

A quality OEM side oiler build is worth maybe just under $20k. Your value is the casting number and date code. If it helps someone complete a Thunderbolt restoration it is worth a lot to them.

John
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:22 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi John, great feedback. What do you mean? The custom look the guy put on the valve covers with the copper dip or something different?

How about the heads? That badging results in this online: SK35369 Canadian Head
'65-'67/ 427 c.i.d. High Performance
2.18" Intake Valve, 1.72" Exhaust Valve, 88-91cc Chamber

Are this worth a damn?
Is the "SK35369" cast into the head(s)? A picture will tell whether they are OE Ford items, or a later, 90's cast "Dove" reproduction. An actual value range can then be ascertained, but not before then.

Still need the casting numbers off the block, the screw in freeze plugs are a plus, but the actual casting numbers and date code cast into the block will determine the range of when the engine was produced. Actual value will depend on the internals of the block, and their condition after that information is provided.

Finally, as previously stated, this is not an "original cobra engine" your best bet will be to get the details requested, and we can guide you.

Intake is worth more to a drag racer, than a cobra owner
Oil pan is a late 80's to late 2K item and does not add value to the engine as a whole.

Will await the other details, and we can then assist you further from there.

Bill S

Old 03-03-2022, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is great, fellas! Thanks so much for the feedback.

I'm a Ford Truck fanatic, and restore them for a living. I came across this engine on a barn find excursion. I was thinking about putting it in a 1966 Slickside crew cab, and someone quickly pointed out it should go back to a Cobra or put it in a Mustang or Galaxie.

I'm happy to sell it as is for what folks think it's worth. I totally understand that like the Ford Truck world, customers love the vintage look with modern engines, drive train and suspension. I lean towards Classics.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

I think what you have is a legit modified side oiler, nothing wrong with it at all. I’m quite sure you can get some good money from it. Last time I checked, they weren’t making them anymore
Old 03-03-2022, 01:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Block casting#'s?
Old 03-03-2022, 02:16 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I just spoke with Bill S. (Mr. Mustang) and asked if anyone is interested in this Sideoiler the gentleman has a (206) area code (Seattle/Tacoma) NW Washinton, I'm in Sequim, and could put eyes on it. I've owned a Sideoiler in one my Cobras, not an expert, but anyway to help I will. (@TumaloSisTruck) We do have a couple of FE/Cammer builders around the NW maybe ask those guys if they would be interested?? Jim Green out of Auburn built my Sideoiler. You may PM me, and I'll give you my phone#, Cheers Tom.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
We do have a couple of FE/Cammer builders around the NW maybe ask those guys if they would be interested??
I think this is good advice. From what I see the engine has a collection of non-original parts so as you strip them off what's left isn't too much. Then anyone is going to adjust price for the possibility that in the rebuild process it would have other issues, especially if someone does a sonic test or equivalent. So the reality is that the value of the engine is close to what shipping would be to send it too far. Trying to find someone local is a good idea.

I like the idea of a Thunderbolt !!! Always liked those cars.

Good luck.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...The previous owner had the block restored to under standard measurements and then bored back to enable 250 Wall Sleeves ...
Something worth noting here is that this block has at least two sleeved cylinders and possibly eight sleeved cylinders.
1985 CCX likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Something worth noting here is that this block has at least two sleeved cylinders and possibly eight sleeved cylinders.
But if someone wants a side oiler, this is what is on the table, slim pickens out there. I wouldn’t be too picky.