28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2022, 07:30 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Question What to sell

Having a difficult time deciding which car to sell.

ERA-289FIA-396ci 351W based motor (400hp), 5spd, all options including comp rear, top, heater, wipers, tonneau, etc, all documentation from it's original order and factory build.

or

SPF 289 roadster (I dislike the term slabside), 302 stroked to 347 (400HP), 5spd, all options, wilwoods, top, heater, wipers, tonneau, etc, again all documentation from it's original order and factory build.

or both, and potentially order another FIA "just the way I want" for a change.

It's not a matter of having to sell, just wanting to free up some extra maneuvering space in the garage for when the 70 Shelby convertible arrives back from the shop.

Both cars are a blast to drive, and I have been alternating between the two every time I take one out (2-4 times a week right now). Just having a difficult time deciding what to do, thought I'd get some additional opinions.

What say you?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-20-2022, 07:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I would sell the one you want to keep the most. That way, if it doesn't sell, you won't be as disappointed.
JTMCOBRA and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:23 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I would sell the one you want to keep the most. That way, if it doesn't sell, you won't be as disappointed.
Actually I thought about putting them both up, and whichever one sells first, I keep the other. There really is no losing proposition that way, as I still get to keep a fun car that I can drive whenever I want.

Bill S.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Race cars are so passé. Keep the slabside. 😬
Blue66, 1985 CCX and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the competition model the beast, plus I read the story of you acquiring it, great back story! But, if I had to have one, I would take the MKII, especially, where you are thinking about a FIA! By the way, I remember, back in 81, I was driving past a used car lot, and there was a light blue 70 GT350. I flipped a quick Louie, and inquired about it. When he popped the hood, there it was, a factory Paxton supercharger, with all the paper work! I took it out, pretty nice, not as nimble as the 65-66 or 67-68, but nice, it was $5,500. I thanked him and as I was walking away, he yelled, "how about 5 even?" In hind sight, I should have walked away, just as I did, but I should have yelled back, "how about Four!" Cheers, Dennis
Old 06-21-2022, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Bill - if you're "having a difficult time deciding", what are the things you like about each, and what is it about both cars that are less desirable in your eyes?
If the one you might be leaning towards is less than perfect, what could you easily change that would make it closer to perfect for you?

Cheers!
Glen
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Question Well...

tough choice! Lucky is that man that has to make such a difficult choice!
rads42, JTMCOBRA and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 06-21-2022, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

We should all be so 'unlucky'
Old 06-21-2022, 03:57 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Bill - if you're "having a difficult time deciding", what are the things you like about each, and what is it about both cars that are less desirable in your eyes?
If the one you might be leaning towards is less than perfect, what could you easily change that would make it closer to perfect for you?

Cheers!
Glen
Roadster, I miss a rollbar, not certain if I can retrofit an FIA style into it. Might have to reach out to Ross Henry to see if it's economically feasible.

FIA, the air cleaner, yes, really

Both cars are fantastic to drive, clearly the FIA is a bit more my style, but I actually like the way the original style suspension of the roadster gives more of a true "cobra" feel, maybe a mental flashback to my days driving TR3-TR6's and early MGA's, skinny tires and all. Tough for me to get a handle on as to my true "wants and needs" right now, which is why I started this thread to have you guys hopefully help sort it out with me, or at least make me digger deeper in to my own mind.

Thanks for asking and making me think a little more.

Bill S.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Bill,

You could always sell them both and then order a new SPF FIA and get the combination of the roll bar along with the buggy springs, have it set up the way you want and get the best of both worlds. The question is, can you wait until a new one is ready for delivery?

Jim
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I'd put both on the market and see what happens. Selling both creates a new buying adventure without any financing angst.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:09 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Bill,

You could always sell them both and then order a new SPF FIA and get the combination of the roll bar along with the buggy springs, have it set up the way you want and get the best of both worlds. The question is, can you wait until a new one is ready for delivery?

Jim
If Rick would send the options and price list, this is kind of what I'm thinking. Chassis set up I'd discuss with Ross first. Also, I like the old BRG/Tan interior (black seats get hot enough to burn here in the south) color combination, and if I order now, will hopefully have it by this time next year......At least this is where I am right now. Would probably spec it out with a street dash, heater, wipers, top, tonneau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I'd put both on the market and see what happens. Selling both creates a new buying adventure without any financing angst.
No angst, right now, this is an indoor space issue on a garage with a 7' ceiling, so no height for a lift, believe me, I've already gone down that path.

Bill S.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:00 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Morning Bill, I thought I would install my $.03 here. First the Mk.2, wonderful cars to see & drive, as I've had one (JCF) most people were surprised that it was even a Cobra (Cute little car) rarely do you see one. We called the little red car (The 'Picnic' car) it was always ready to go, you could take your best girl out in it (No snake bites) and it didn't scare the locals. Just a little too Tame. I like yours, but you could have Superformance built another one (The way you want, but a 2-year wait??) Put the Mk.2 on BaT they always do well there. Now my Favorite car the FIA, as you & I both know after talking to Peter, there is NO WAY to build 2080 ever again (Parts availability), let alone the back story on this car, now a days, people love to a hear a 'Story' on a certain car. You will never lose 2080 in a den of snakes (paint scheme) I would call a FIA a happy medium Cobra, no too hot and no too cold, just right There you go Bill, my take, Cheers my Friend, Tom.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Roadster, I miss a rollbar, not certain if I can retrofit an FIA style into it. Might have to reach out to Ross Henry to see if it's economically feasible.
Stop missing the roll bar. Is it an aesthetic thing? A safety thing? Is it a track thing?

From a safety standpoint, they're almost useless, unless you flip the car over and even then the roll bar likely isn't of great help, unless you're 5'3" and your head doesn't hit it.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:56 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Stop missing the roll bar. Is it an aesthetic thing? A safety thing? Is it a track thing?

From a safety standpoint, they're almost useless, unless you flip the car over and even then the roll bar likely isn't of great help, unless you're 5'3" and your head doesn't hit it.

Rollbar wise, it's a safety thing, in the ERA and SPF, they are functional and not aesthetic. Again, a personal preference for both SWMBO and I.

Bill S.

PS: When is the last time you sat in and started yours

Old 06-21-2022, 12:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
PS: When is the last time you sat in and started yours
In a timeline that would make the most sense to you, about 25 MrMustang Cobra “buys” ago.
Sargie likes this.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:17 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
In a timeline that would make the most sense to you, about 25 MrMustang Cobra “buys” ago.

Remember there was a 8 year gap of borrowed cars, but no cobra ownership, more like 3 by your own admission.....

Bill S.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:20 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Morning Bill, I thought I would install my $.03 here. First the Mk.2, wonderful cars to see & drive, as I've had one (JCF) most people were surprised that it was even a Cobra (Cute little car) rarely do you see one. We called the little red car (The 'Picnic' car) it was always ready to go, you could take your best girl out in it (No snake bites) and it didn't scare the locals. Just a little too Tame. I like yours, but you could have Superformance built another one (The way you want, but a 2-year wait??) Put the Mk.2 on BaT they always do well there. Now my Favorite car the FIA, as you & I both know after talking to Peter, there is NO WAY to build 2080 ever again (Parts availability), let alone the back story on this car, now a days, people love to a hear a 'Story' on a certain car. You will never lose 2080 in a den of snakes (paint scheme) I would call a FIA a happy medium Cobra, no too hot and no too cold, just right There you go Bill, my take, Cheers my Friend, Tom.
I hear you loud and clear.

Bill S.
Alfa02 likes this.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Sell both and get an aluminum car (Kirkham or Kirkham-CSX). But, you might have to kick in some cash.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

Build a bigger garage and don’t sell anything