Old 08-09-2022, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
What is that ?
It's an unhandled database back end fault. Usually caused by a memory leak which is usually caused by a bad database link.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Thanks Tony.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I made a full CC mirror a couple of years ago. Most of my better stuff is on there so I could rip it and jam it up as a repost on short order.
Of course you did.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Heck, around here, I could sneeze and snoodle on a bunch of "IT" guys, some VC's and cyber security people too. We could really "doll up" the old place here.

And if we lose anything here on CC, then could we lose Patrick's DIY posts? Most of it is just "Look at me!" type stuff anyway.

Does Jamo even moderate anymore?
Look at me isn't always bad, for instance, in my case, "look at me so you don't make the same dumb mistakes!"
Old 08-09-2022, 11:59 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Dennis, it's all in good fun. Like when Wally (RIP) Tell's Eddie Haskell to quit giving The Beaver "The Business"
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Angry Well,...

it might be back up, but it is only running about as fast as Wally can run right now! Can you say Sloooooooooow? Anyone else seeing that?

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 08-10-2022, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The site is running fine for me. SO glad to have it back!
Old 08-10-2022, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's what I tried to say, but it came out wrong! Wish I was young enough not to know who any of those characters were. Cheers, Dennis
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The only slow issue I have had is, I get a warning, to wait so many seconds tell I can view the new post. Otherwise fast as ever! Cheers, Dennis
Old 08-11-2022, 09:44 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Dennis I used that refences, since Rodknock & Patrickt were (I believe ) at least in their college days, by then Where I was just a twinkle in my daddy's eye.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Last edited by Alfa02; 08-11-2022 at 09:53 AM..
Old 08-11-2022, 12:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Here's what I don't get. This site is either a business for the owner or a labor of love. Clearly it's not the latter anymore, since he apparently never checks in on his own site anymore, being distracted by polished vans and steampunk vehicles (whatever that is). That leaves the only other possibility - that it's a business.
Businesses are designed to make money for the owner. That said, there are two possibilities - it's either making money or it's not. If it IS making money, why would the owner essentially abandon it, lose complete interest in it and leave it adrift with apparently no one at the helm (other than Jamo apparently moderating - is he still?)? If it's NOT making money, there were a few guys who offered to take it off his hands and purchase it. Why wouldn't he take advantage of that? The weird thing is that Brent (the owner) seems to have chosen "None Of The Above".

I don't get it.

This was once such a busy, vibrant and active site. It seems now to be a mere shell of what it once was. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good place, but imagine what it would be once again if the owner took even a half interest in it. He seems unwilling to do so, yet he won't sell it to guys who would like to do just that. Again, I just don't get it.

I've said enough, I apologize (truly) if this offends anyone or if I stepped on anyone's toes. That was not my intent at all. I'm just confused by this rudderless ship drifting at sea.
RodKnock, twobjshelbys and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 08-11-2022 at 12:07 PM..
Old 08-11-2022, 12:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Here's what I don't get....
Inertia is a powerful force.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I luv ya amigo but it’s not a force. It just “Keep on truckin”.
There used to be a lot of builds.
Lots of cars and then “What’s up with Classic Roadsters?”
Now I’m the only guy in the USA that can give you an address in Canada where you can streetview the moulds and everything that’s left.

Last edited by sunman; 08-11-2022 at 12:39 PM..
Old 08-11-2022, 12:35 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
I luv ya amigo but it’s not a force. It just “Keep on truckin”
Naaah, it's right there in Newton's Principia Mathematica.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:45 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

@767Jockey, I agree 100%. I feel helpless, nothing more I would rather do then get our site "Healthy again" by any means possible.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
@767Jockey, I agree 100%. I feel helpless, nothing more I would rather do then get our site "Healthy again" by any means possible.
This site is like my lawnmower in the shed. Yes, I keep it running, most of the time, but not always. No, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it or working on it. But if it quits working, I fix it... eventually. Yes, I would probably sell it if you caught my attention sufficiently. No, I'm not paying enough attention to notice a "say, is your lawn mower for sale?' type query. My lawn mower is just so low on my list of priorities that it just doesn't really get my attention -- one way or the other.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:20 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Quote:
(other than Jamo apparently moderating - is he still?)?
I got a public response out of him just the other day

Quote:
I don't get it.

This was once such a busy, vibrant and active site. It seems now to be a mere shell of what it once was.
As with everything else in life, a good majority of the cobra owner and builders have aged out, sold off their cars, or parked them in a garage, allowed to collect dust (right Rodknock) until such time either they, or their next of kin, decide to part with them. Others have found that owning the Cobra is still something to savor, yet have gone out and purchased that late model Mustang, Corvette, or Porsche to fill their need for speed, all while being bathed in the lap of luxury. Others have just given up on sharing their time behind the wheel, their tips and tricks, their heartaches and busted knuckles. Most who are left these days have already finished their cars, sure a few show up now and then to tell us about their builds, rebuilds, and restorations. Some show up looking for information because they are interested in buying or building a car, a few of them stick around, most get a shock to their system when they find the $5,500 "unfinished kit" they purchased will need another $30,000+++ to get on the road. Others stumble in after watching a Youtube video, or watching a movie with a Cobra in it....Again, not all stick around, and even if they do, they prefer to lurk, but not participate. The really funny part is, I see that with quite a few of the older regulars, they prefer to not post, but their user logs show they still check in once a day, week, or month....I've been here for over 22 years, and have seen the ups and downs, the good and the bad, the trolls, and then some, all in a cycle that will repeat itself time and time again.

Again, just my personal observations, no chips on my shoulder, no responsibility other than to be a member who chooses to do more good, than grief for the moderator to deal with on his not so always free time.

Either you get it now, or you do not, that is once again, a personal item I have no control over.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-11-2022, 02:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I get all of that Bill - sites like this typically ebb and flow over time. What I don't get is Brent's seeming unwillingness to commit much if any time to the site, yet at the same time his seeming unwillingness to sell it to those who would. Hence, the rudderless ship comment. Sort of a "I won't put any time and effort into this, but I won't sell to let someone else put the time and effort into it." It's just very odd.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:36 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Well great, Patrickt now you've piqued my interest in "This Here" great lawnmower of yours, how much and what's makes it so Special I do get what you & Bill, are relaying, the site is outdated, and we have less than a growing interest with new member's. After talking to the IT guys, I know, it seems like a software update would cure 90% of our issues, or I'm I way off base here?? And we just let it die a slow death. It seems a huge shame, if that's what the final outcome will be. No (Cheers) this time just sighing off as Tom. Thank you 767Jockey very well said.

Last edited by Alfa02; 08-11-2022 at 02:42 PM..
Old 08-11-2022, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I get all of that Bill - sites like this typically ebb and flow over time. What I don't get is Brent's seeming unwillingness to commit much if any time to the site, yet at the same time his seeming unwillingness to sell it to those who would. Hence, the rudderless ship comment. Sort of a "I won't put any time and effort into this, but I won't sell to let someone else put the time and effort into it." It's just very odd.
I'd be even more suspicious if he sold it. This edge of cardom (not just Cobras) has, as been pointed out, a declining population of interested stakeholders (sorry, they're getting old) and there is little or no interest from a younger generation for any kind of Cobra class product. Look at number of new members over time and active participants (a steady population of old-timers) and this place, if it is a business, is on its way out.

I applaud Alpha02 and the others that want to take this over, but remember he has a number of other forums that are likely to be part of the deal. Who knows how much revenue it generates from the ads (Craft engines and the muffler place being the ones that I remember). Does the ad revenue pay for the hosting and support costs?

Buying this had better be a passion. I don't think anyone is getting rich.

PS. Don't even think of making this a "pay to play" site. Every car forum that tried it that I know of has failed (all but 1) or become free again (1).

It is a treasure trove of Cobra info for virtually every brand. And it contains the history of some lesser known brands that is useful to people running across one of them in a garage.

Good luck to whoever gets the keys if anyone ever does.