Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2022, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I will not just throw my hood away I need somebody that is building fiberglass hood and scoops now, after all the shut downs and all. Knowing Cobras and replicas will be a factor. Starting with my location Pacific Northwest, Tacoma Washington to be specific. Need a fiberglass builder for a Cobra hood with a scoop. With the price of shipping, I think I could pay a little extra to help a local business get tooled up. I did find a cowl scoop online but it is intended for a flat hood and you know a Cobra hood is curved.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 09-29-2022 at 07:54 PM..
Old 09-17-2022, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
At what kind of speeds are you talking about? I figure with a 7" windshield you are at or above 150. I have not seen any of the pictures of the car and what were your intensions? If cutting the air from under the car were the point, I'd guess a chin spoiler and maybe ground effect trim. I drive on the street and park in yard.
You mean like this....

Jerry Clayton and eschaider like this.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

Check this scoop out. Says it’s 13-1/2” wide. Maybe the flange gets you to or beyond 14”.
I bought replacement Girling cans from them a few months ago. No issue with delivery taking a week to the east coast via UPS.
https://www.csxparts.com/p-182-fiber...ood-scoop.aspx
Cobranda another option. https://store.cobranda.com/accofihosc.html
Morris likes this.

Last edited by Sargie; 09-17-2022 at 07:04 PM..
Old 09-18-2022, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PhotoPost Classifieds - super snake hood - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 09-18-2022, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is a good example and a great price, but the add is dated 2008. I sent an inquiry, I'll wait a while and see if he responds. I did not know of this club feature before. I wish I had seen this a long time ago.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sent you an e-mail with pictures, let me know if it made it thu, thanks, b
Old 09-18-2022, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
That is a good example and a great price, but the add is dated 2008. I sent an inquiry, I'll wait a while and see if he responds. I did not know of this club feature before. I wish I had seen this a long time ago.
I showed you a picture of the one on my car, but you said something about you were afraid of getting the distributor wet, so I dropped it. I got mine from Mr. Bruce.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sent you another picture of a ss scoop ,setting on a car backwards, is this what you want?
Old 09-19-2022, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You sent me pictures Where?
Old 09-20-2022, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sent it to you via regular e-mail, can't post them on here for sum reason
Old 09-20-2022, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Generally, yes, That is what I want. You could make it look centered on the hood (side to side), to rear edge of hood. This is going to be my winter project. Shipping from where and measurements and weight. Probably a cardboard box. My daughter maybe a help in the shipping portion of this. What is the process of me finishing the hood? And my email worked this morning . The picture was there.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

Mr Bruce was kind enough to make a repair plug for the hood to restore it to start fresh.
I went from this scoop

To this opening

To this patch I will need to fiberglass in

This scoop is off of ebay-

I will glass in the patch, then locate the scoop and cut a new hole, and rivet the new scoop onto the hood.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I intend to change my hood It has the traditional Cobra forward facing scoop It only allows 1 1/2' high air cleaners under the hood. I know that the engine runs so much better without the air cleaner installed. The spark plugs are usually black and fouled. I blame the restrictive air cleaner and the hood is the problem I want to go to a rear facing cowl opening or an enclosed bump. Can't stop the air under the hood from the radiator I was looking at a scoop that was online but discovered it was too wide and intended for a flat hood. It was 27" wide and 36 " longT the 27" was the problem as it would be wider than the hood latch handles. So I was thinking something that would fit between the handles and follow the hoods taper forward on the sides and blend into the hood in front. I figure that I will need about 3 1/2" more above the hood line.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can make anykind of scoop you want
1985 CCX and Alfa02 like this.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm still looking for an example of budge I want. The raised area will need to be 3 to 4 inches high when added to the 1 1/2 inch my current hood line allows. The chrome hood latch brackets are 22 1/2 inches apart. anything wider would need to have the rear corners notched to clear the hood latch handles. the outer sides would be tapering as it goes forward following the outer edges of the actual hood. The hood is about 45 inches long and a bulge could extend almost all that way and then blend back into the hood. I know it isn't a purist kind of modification. It started out as a replica 38 years ago of a car that is 57 years old. Other than a Cobra fan, people still ask " what is it?:
My state registration says kitV/
Old 11-26-2022, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm still looking for an example of budge I want. The raised area will need to be 3 to 4 inches high when added to the 1 1/2 inch my current hood line allows. The chrome hood latch brackets are 22 1/2 inches apart. anything wider would need to have the rear corners notched to clear the hood latch handles. the outer sides would be tapering as it goes forward following the outer edges of the actual hood. The hood is about 45 inches long and a bulge could extend almost all that way and then blend back into the hood. I know it isn't a purist kind of modification. It started out as a replica 38 years ago of a car that is 57 years old. Other than a Cobra fan, people still ask " what is it?:
My state registration says kitV/
Old 11-27-2022, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

wow! I am working on a plug to make a mold for a reverse scoop exactly as you have described!
Old 11-27-2022, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Buick Stage 2 hood scoop on this page:

67-72 Skylark
Old 12-31-2022, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's mee again still pissing and moaning about my hood. My car was built to do hill climb. in Reneo NV. Nice weather. I'm driving around Western Washington state. Just as you plan anything bet on it raining. The Cobra front radiator opening is going to stuff in the engine compartment. That is what the side vents were for. They went from the 289 roadster to the Daytona Coupe. it had a lowered nose and routed the air from the radiator back out on top of the hood. The Coupes all had metal roofs to get the down force. Then the 427 roadster came as a hot roaders dream. My cars original builder put a Dove tunnel wedge intake manifold ( intended for big sedan). Ending up with no room for much of an air cleaner Wich I need for normal street driving I have 1 1/2" clearance where the air cleaner sits on top of the Carburetor'. I want a raised portion of the hood to make room for a decent air cleaner or those metal tops that are connected to remote air cleaners. So I'm imagining a raise area that would add about another 3" to the 1 1/2" under the hood .Not open to the front keeping rain out from carb and ignition. Rear opening once thought to let packed air out from the engine compartment, turns out to just packs more in. Got to fit between the hood latch handles, The bulge, not calling it a scoop, could go as far forward as Infront of the distributor. I see about 25 " wide and about 36" long, sides tapering in and down to follow the side edges of the hood. Al this on a curved hood surface side to side and front to rear. Ant body seen anything like this and where would I start?
Old 12-31-2022, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

I find it interesting you are not following up with Mr Bruce. He does great work and is reasonable, price wise. He can (and has) made many custom parts for these cars. He even makes a slab side body to fit a FFR frame.

Also, take a look on ebay for fiberglass cowl hood scoop.

Last edited by Chicagowil; 12-31-2022 at 03:30 PM..