Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2022, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0/Supercharged
Not Ranked     
Default Hood Scoop suggestions

It has been a while since I was able to work on my CR. My wife retired, we sold our home in Boston and now (almost) unpacked back in Wisconsin with the CR & my shop. After long thoughts about the Kenne Bell supercharger and how I was having to modify the hood, I decided to sell the S/C and purchased a JEGS bread box upper to better fit under the hood.

I have not finished the mounting of the MAF meter & filter. And I need to mount the alternator on the driver's side for more clearance.

Now I wish I had not modified my hood. I do not need as much clearance.

I am looking for suggestions for a source for a replacement hood scoop that looks closer to an original. It needs to be at least 14" wide and about 17" long & 2" tall.

Thom
Old 09-03-2022, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Looks like Shell Valley has a few different scoops.

https://www.shellvalley.com/index.cf...prod/prd41.htm

Jim
Old 09-12-2022, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I'll be watching this. I have an older replica and have had it for over 23 years now. One problem is the engine was equipped with a Dove Tunnel Wedge dual four intake manifold Leaving no room for big air cleaner, It had two S&H air cleaner that were cut down to meet the inside of the hood. I trimmed the perforated chrome rings so the tops would taper down at the outer edges so they do everything but rub the hood. The garage I used the year before last replaced the foam with a foam that is more restrictive to air flow. I had a thing with bad gas and I delivered and picked the car without air cleaners and it seems to be running better. So, finding a better foam filter material is next thing. The hood scoop it looks traditional but is not really fluctuational. Air boils up the front and goes over the scoop inlet. More air comes out of the scoop than goes in. The car. has been driven in rain and the distributer seem to be protected. I think a bulge with a rear facing opening would be a better fit Protecting everything. I've seen one build that I thought that was the way to go, only to be told they had done it that way to let air trapped under the hood escape. I'd be open to having another hood built with a taller rear facing bulge (it wouldn't be a scoop any longer) open to rear and a little taller to be able to get a better air cleaner system under it
Old 09-12-2022, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In looking back, I was talking about the a rear facing (scoop) aluminum that Morris built for a high end replica It was added to an aluminum hood with not any out side rivets, like it was supposed to be there. best I've seen but not sold. If I build the hood with bulge. I'd want the leading edge to be more rounded and blend to the hood surface. The hood scoop were an after thought back then (remember the rivets). Aero was an unknown then. Now they know with the car moving, the air has boiled up and over the scoop an isn't catching anything Shelby said when he was starting back with continuation series (with historically warranted modifications) This is my pain now. I'm not able to get a decent air cleaner under this hood. So if i'm going to change it I'm not going to reinvent the wheel but .If my cars original builder had chosen a different intake manifold, like a single dominator four barrel so I could fit a single air cleaner. It's nostalgia meeting with reallity.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vander Wal View Post
Looks like Shell Valley has a few different scoops.

https://www.shellvalley.com/index.cf...prod/prd41.htm

Jim
Shell Valley lists those as available in fiberglass or carbon fiber. Get the CF model, clear coat it and attach it with stainless steel button head machine screws. It will look spectacular.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
In looking back, I was talking about the a rear facing (scoop) aluminum that Morris built for a high end replica It was added to an aluminum hood with not any out side rivets, like it was supposed to be there. best I've seen but not sold. If I build the hood with bulge. I'd want the leading edge to be more rounded and blend to the hood surface. The hood scoop were an after thought back then (remember the rivets). Aero was an unknown then. Now they know with the car moving, the air has boiled up and over the scoop an isn't catching anything Shelby said when he was starting back with continuation series (with historically warranted modifications) This is my pain now. I'm not able to get a decent air cleaner under this hood. So if i'm going to change it I'm not going to reinvent the wheel but .If my cars original builder had chosen a different intake manifold, like a single dominator four barrel so I could fit a single air cleaner. It's nostalgia meeting with reallity.
Mike

After testing our hood scoop....we have since learned that the reverse hood scoop sucks in a lot of air.....much more then we realized in 5he beginning.....
I’ll post some photos in a couple of days to show you the results of our testing....
Old 09-14-2022, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A so you are saying it got a cowl effect off the windshield?
Old 09-14-2022, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
A so you are saying it got a cowl effect off the windshield?
Yes....even though our windshield is only 7” tall.....(I thought that the short windshield would not have that effect on the reverse scoop). But our testing has shown an incredible amount of air comes in the scoop....
Old 09-14-2022, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Earlier you said you did it to let air out from under the hood. I know on the traditional forward-facing scoop there is more air coming out than going inn due to the scoop being so far rearward that at speed, air has boiled up over the hood and the scoop and the air under the hood is stacked up to the point where some is coming out the scoop. I can see where there would be a bunch coming out. I feel that was the point of the Daytona Coup, they sent the air that went through the radiator back out the hood. so at least that air didn't go under trying to lift the car. I'm sure there was a benefit for down force with that air and the hard top. I can see cutting out anything over the distributer in a forward-facing scoop.
I'm looking at my car ais if was a house that needs a remodel. How far do I tear out the old to make the remodel a success? I just had the car worked on and I had the car back without air cleaners. It ran way better than with the air cleaners on. The original builder equipped the car with a DOVE Tunnel Wedge dual four intake manifold. It fits under hood but not good air cleaner that will flow great volumes of fresh air. I have lived with this thought from the get go back in 99. The hood and the dual carbs being what is limiting what air cleaners would fit even cold air carb tops are too tall to fit. under the hood. I know that is not an original 65 427 Shelby Cobra. but can be more than it is. A good looking lump in the hood I feel would be a better fit for my car. The nostalgic scoop is just for looks, keeps the rain from shorting out the distributer and leaving me beside the road. My trimmed down S&H air cleaners are a limiting factor. They may have saved me from ruin. Leave the air cleaners off and dirt will get in the cylinders. but it runs great. I know a guy with full tunnel port 427 engine and Webbers there are so many choices, and they all have trade offs.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 09-14-2022 at 10:30 AM..
Old 09-14-2022, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I know on the traditional forward-facing scoop there is more air coming out than going inn due to the scoop being so far rearward that at speed, air has boiled up over the hood and the scoop and the air under the hood is stacked up to the point where some is coming out the scoop. I can see where there would be a bunch coming out.

These two threads from the FFR community show that standard Cobra hood scoops do work. Would Shelby's team steer us wrong? LOL

https://www.ffcars.com/threads/defin...-video.217438/ (Note: video not available, but thread comments from when it was available clearly indicate airflow goes into the hood scoop at speed, not out)

https://www.ffcars.com/threads/mythb...y-work.217227/ (Toilet paper test / photos).
Old 09-14-2022, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's some of the photo's of the hood when we were making it.

Old 09-15-2022, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

To my mind all reverse scoops make every kind of good sense but just look wrong, which is the only good reason not to have one.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My car is mostly a driver now. It was built in a warmer climate to do a Hill climb. I have gotten caught out in the rain. The hood scoop looks traditional . The opening to under hood dumps behind the distributer on top of the first air cleaner. with the intake manifold used, I only have 1 1/2" high S&H air cleaners and they are tapered down in front and rear to 1 3/8" and that is against the under side of the hood . I need more room for a taller air cleaners air cleaners. I'm looking to have another hood built and mount a raised bump. tasteful but not the norm. I was all in for Morris's rear facing scoop, only to find it has a big draw back. I have had this car for 23 years and have been bothered by the lack of room for air cleaners on top of the engine. It's time to change things. Not using any air cleaners would cause damage to the engine.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Can you say Camaro

Looks great if you have a chevy under the hood.
dual 2" roll bars, warmed up 302, E Street aluminum Heads, Comp cam and roller rockers, AOD, 4.10 Eaton Possi, Power Baer/disc brakes, block hugger headers, 2 1/2" under car exhaust, F500 18" black spoke wheels.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why don't you just run a scoop from the Super Snake?

Last edited by joyridin'; 09-18-2022 at 04:24 AM..
Old 09-16-2022, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is an option. I would want it to be mounted as rearward as possible. Picture it in white. What are the dimensions? Who is still around today and building fiberglass hoods and scoops, and would be interested. The Super Snake was a (two off )special, back before they understood aero. It was covering two staggered four v carbs on a special intake manifold. Would I need to block opening if I mounted it traditionally (rain getting into the (distributer) is a concern. I'd like to see what the Super Snake scoop reversed would look like.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here a good shot of the Tufts sucking into the Reverse Hood Scoop.
A lot of air is going in there.

Last edited by Morris; 09-16-2022 at 01:10 PM..
Old 09-16-2022, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was all in for Morris's rear facing scoop, only to find it has a big draw back..
What is that Draw Back???
Old 09-16-2022, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

At what kind of speeds are you talking about? I figure with a 7" windshield you are at or above 150. I have not seen any of the pictures of the car and what were your intensions? If cutting the air from under the car were the point, I'd guess a chin spoiler and maybe ground effect trim. I drive on the street and park in yard.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here you go....Tom K and I started testing with Tufts ....Tom moved on to other designs and I stayed with the Cobra. this is one of Tom K photos

Last edited by Morris; 09-17-2022 at 01:37 PM..