17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2023, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance-Port fuel injected 427 stroker.
Not Ranked     
Default Loud Exhausts

I have always liked loud exhausts. Skylark had the Hush Trush that I could slide back for open exhaust racing. Dad was onto me so I had to build speed and shut her down 1/2 mile from home and coast her home into the garage in stealth mode. Fast forward and I order a 1995 SLP Firehawk. Glorious sound the feds out lawed the next year. You didn't need a horn. Throttle blip. Various Harley and Ducati running race exhausts that set off every car alarm on the street. Then I moved up scale to Maserati Coupe GT (Stick car) I have had for 15 years. Larini Boxes, X pipe and Silenced D-Cat-Hard to find any Euro car that sounds this good. Ferrari guys- "Dude we just turned off our radios to listen to your car which was a 1/2 mile ahead. The pops and sound are spectacular." Then a neighbor get a new McLaren GT. Loud but not very pleasant in my opinion. I think the wife's F-Type sounds way better but not as loud. So at the last party the neighbors said it looks like I no longer have the loudest car in the neighborhood. Then I got "Cobra Fever". 427 Fuelie with side pipes! Game over, LOL.

Drove about 80 miles in the car today. **** ton of traffic in town with the Superbowl and Waste Management Golf going on. I have never gotten more thumbs up, people out the window shooting video, etc. then this afternoon. Old lady at the gas station tried flirting but the pipes just drowned her ass out. The current owner rode with me as he has not been able to drive the car for 4 years for health reasons. Feet issues. "Today I put 10% of the miles on this car and it took you 20 years to do the other 90%." He has visitation rights. Arm out the window, the smell, the sound and then there is the throttle blip. How can you not just love these cars. What the hell took me so long! Also the community seems very tight and lots of people willing to help and offer advise.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:14 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Couldn't agree more redvettx2, I've been most of my adult life a 4-6cly, Rotary guy. Racing a built 6-cly. Zcar @7500rpm, was music to my ears, even the older 911's I passed had they own beautiful sound. A LOUD Rotary was also a perfect? sound. But I will admit, I was always a closet V-8 guy, the sound of a big & small block V-8's on track, well was a tad better. The only things I had V-8 wise towed the race cars, trucks/vans, I never failed to have intake and exhaust done, just for better power (I told myself) for pulling, but deep down I knew I was kidding myself It was the SOUND After retiring from Racing I had always planned on buying a Cobra for the street, the first one a 427S/O, every time it started up, people would take two step backward This last one has a Dart block 347 with 551HP, that has a certain (Crackle) and letting off, the great Burrwrap sound. It's in a friends (Big) hanger for the winter, I fired it up yesterday to warm the oil before changing, the neighbors came from far & wide to hear what kind of Airplane makes that cool sound, oh just Tom with the Cobra. Damn that car sounded good. I've told this story before a good friend once told me my Cobra = 4-Harleys, I said thank you, she said that wasn't a compliment Cheers Tom.
Tom Wells, Morris, rads42 and 3 others like this.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Yeah, the sound is the most important part for me. . . Some years ago I took my ailing older sister out for a therapeutic ride in my Cobra. It turned out to be Thunder Beach weekend in Panama City Beach. As we slowly made our way with the other traffic along the crowded beach road that night, ours was the only car that made the bikers turn to see what kind of Harley made that sound. She loved it.

I have to add that I was stopped in traffic in my Cobra one day when I heard some serious big engine sounds coming from behind in the lane to my left. I looked in the mirror and saw nothing that could account for the sound except possibly a big motorcycle. When he pulled along side I saw it was a Boss Hog cycle with a big V8 engine. The best of both worlds I suppose.
Alfa02 likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 02-08-2023, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance-Port fuel injected 427 stroker.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Couldn't agree more redvettx2, I've been most of my adult life a 4-6cly, Rotary guy. Racing a built 6-cly. Zcar @7500rpm, was music to my ears, even the older 911's I passed had they own beautiful sound. A LOUD Rotary was also a perfect? sound. But I will admit, I was always a closet V-8 guy, the sound of a big & small block V-8's on track, well was a tad better. The only things I had V-8 wise towed the race cars, trucks/vans, I never failed to have intake and exhaust done, just for better power (I told myself) for pulling, but deep down I knew I was kidding myself It was the SOUND After retiring from Racing I had always planned on buying a Cobra for the street, the first one a 427S/O, every time it started up, people would take two step backward This last one has a Dart block 347 with 551HP, that has a certain (Crackle) and letting off, the great Burrwrap sound. It's in a friends (Big) hanger for the winter, I fired it up yesterday to warm the oil before changing, the neighbors came from far & wide to hear what kind of Airplane makes that cool sound, oh just Tom with the Cobra. Damn that car sounded good. I've told this story before a good friend once told me my Cobra = 4-Harleys, I said thank you, she said that wasn't a compliment Cheers Tom.
Flipping the air cleaner cover on a V-8 sounded like it was good for 50HP back in the day. Good intake sound rules.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Nothing sounds better than secondaries opening up in second gear in my car. Looking in the rear view mirror and seeing the dust being blown off the road from both sides.
Alfa02 and hazards280 like this.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

"Cobra = 4-Harleys"

I used that! It applies not only to the sound but to when you take it on the road. Noone (at least in Colorado) knowingly drives a Harley into a thunderstorm. Although on the front range almost any summer afternoon guarantees that it will happen
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:31 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Tomorrows drive !!

Well boys, the weather say's 51degees and sunny. The Doc today gave me a clean bill of health, at least for a 67yo dude Time to put the wheels & tires (After spending 24hours of Hand & Hard labor) on this bad boy, Watch some exhaust blow off the dust on both sides of the road I may only put 50 or so miles on the front tires, but I plan-on at least 200miles off the rears, if you get my drift
Attached Images

Tommy, HealeyRick and EM-0785 like this.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Tom,

In that case you need to drive your speedometer/odometer from the front tires. You know, keep the miles down for the insurance

Tom
eschaider and Alfa02 like this.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wish you would all stop mumbling! I can't understand a word you are saying! Cheers, Dennis
Old 02-08-2023, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

New cars with racy exhausts often sound like an oversized vacuum cleaner.
And the owners don't know any better. Because they never heard this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnl_KVf9fbw
Old 02-08-2023, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

DuplicatePost

Last edited by Snake2998; 02-08-2023 at 11:24 PM..
Old 02-08-2023, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

I agree - nothing sounds as good as a Cobra - I have the honor of living on the coast en-route to Cape Point and daily a few of the 30+ hire Cobras trundle past my house for the trip around the Cape Peninsula and I have the pleasure of hearing them.

There is a short straight just in front of my house with nothing either side after about 15 minutes of driving in a populated area, so few drivers can resist flooring it just there, so the sounds get even better. It never palls. Even my neighbour with his two Ferraris and a Maserati can't outdo them for aural pleasure.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

A cobra friend nicknamed my car "Thunderstorm" because he says that's what it sounds like as I'm approaching or leaving. Agree that the sound is a very satisfying part of the experience.

Kevin
Old 02-09-2023, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Duplicate post

Last edited by kevins2; 02-09-2023 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 02-24-2023, 04:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Dominik,

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEm-...annel=wideangl

Tom
Dominik likes this.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

I loved the sound of my big Block thru the sidepipes , but it was loud! One night i pulled into a bank parking lot and the exhaust set off the alarms in the bank! So I was coming up with a system using 3 inch electric cutouts to run the exhaust thru mufflers and under the car and out the back. So quiet as a mouse and then at the flick of a switch ROCK&Roll baby!!
hazards280 likes this.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There's a natural sense of accomplishment when the neighbor
laughs about how his wife tapes down her dish display in the
cabinet if she suspects it's going to be a "Cobra Weekend".
kitcarbp, EM-0785 and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by Unique427; 03-01-2023 at 03:23 AM..
Old 03-02-2023, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I honestly can’t wait for my cobra to come together.
Is to be my first pushrod v8 so super excited to give it some stick.
Loud exhausts are a must for me, we have to pass something called an IVA test in the UK in order for it to be road legal first though. They have a restriction of 99dbs at 3/4 max revs ����
I’ll be telling them my max revs is a sizeable chunk lower than the 7500rpm that it is!
Also think I’ll be having to stick some restrictors in there for the test!
Such a pain, they all know that we will change the cars as soon as we’re passed anyway. Pointless
Old 03-04-2023, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     

The experience of driving a Cobra is certainly unique. All of your senses are heightened.

From the sound of the pipes coming out the side, the wind in your hair, the smell of a carbureted engine, and the sight of the world around you being ever so clear.

The drive itself is also quite special in that there are no nannies in play to protect you, except for your seatbelt, experience, and the desire to survive. ��

We have owned numerous V8s through the years, but they have all been in late model examples, such as G8s, Chargers, Grand Cherokees, and even the most recent (my DD) as 6.4L Hemi Wrangler. While they all have the power to enjoy your drive, and the innovation to be reliable throughout the year in all temps, the experience is nothing like turning the key on the Cobra.

It's purely mechanical, just me and the car, no technology (I'm looking at you Microsoft Teams), and an instant teleportation back in time to what I believe the 60s would have been like.

When my wife and I went on our test drive in the Cobra, we both looked at each other the first time I gave it some juice and shifted from 2nd to 3rd at ~5,000 RPM. Simply smiled, and unanimously said the price tag is worth the sound alone.

Cheers!
Alfa02 and redvettx2 like this.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

From what I am gathering here, if you don't have loud side pipes, your not a man! You all do know, that most Cobra's came with pipes exiting out the rear? That includes 260, 289, 427, and 428s! If any of you have one of the above cars, with rear exhaust, and you feel it is hurting you manhood, feel free to sent it to me, I think I am man enough to handle the lack of noise! Cheers, Dennis