Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2024, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

I'm aware of the issues and I have been working on this for the last couple of days...There seems to be a SCSI controller problem....Working to resolve.
Blue66, Ron61, Snake2998 and 3 others like this.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
I will do that Patrickt, I'll call Bill S. since he has a direct link to Brent and see if we can get the ball rolling. Anybody else like add a few coins to help Brent to save our site ???? Here's your chance. Thank you patrickt for your input much appreciated, Cheers Tom.
Been through this so many times. Ad revenues keep coming in. People donate and things never change. Where does the money go? It's been this way for years now.

I've been following car forums for close to 20 years now. Many site admins saw their forum as a way to make a little money like Facebook endorsers do. Not a single forum that started charging is still in existence. The only one that survived went back to free and another has a tiered membership that exposes rights (eg the ability to post and reply to for sale topics vs read only for non paying).

I'd hate to see the forum shut down as it is a wonderful source of information. But until the owners tell me what is wrong and what it takes to fix it my pocket book stays closed.

Software has no moving parts. It doesn't wear out. It does get rotten (ref "windows rot" where Windows slows down after years of cumulative updates but the same version with updates remastered is fine) perhaps something as simple as rebuilding the existing os and fresh install of forum software will help.

In the end after 55 years in the hardware and software business the performance problems here are much more than downrev server as softtware.. Some of you may remember when it ran great like any other responsive forum...

Ps. The IT department will want you to reboot first.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 02-07-2024 at 10:41 PM..
Old 02-07-2024, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Mills View Post
I'm aware of the issues and I have been working on this for the last couple of days...There seems to be a SCSI controller problem....Working to resolve.
Really? This hardware is that old that it still runs on SCSI drives?
nkb and N2Cobras like this.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I have an old 386/25 Dominion desktop computer with 1 Meg of ram and a 5.25” floppy disk if you want to upgrade the server?
Actually, SCSI was/is a very hi level interface system designed to last a long time. Still used today. Quite reliable actually…. Just old.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 02-08-2024 at 06:02 AM..
Old 02-08-2024, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
I have an old 386/25 Dominion desktop computer with 1 Meg of ram and a 5.25” floppy disk if you want to upgrade the server?
Actually, SCSI was/is a very hi level interface system designed to last a long time. Still used today. Quite reliable actually…. Just old.
Parallel scsi died 20 years ago. It was replaced by SAS(Serial Attached SCSI). SAS drives are more expensive but you can use SATA drives on SAS controllers. A SAS controller will easily cost 10x what a sata controller costs and I don't know of any chip set that doesn't include sata.

Yes Parallel scsi was the enterprise storage interconnect. Fiber channel had more connectivity. But if you really have scsi drives they're 20 years old ant not trustworthy

Of those 55 years in computer hardware I built disk drives since 1979. I built the first 1Gb SCSI drive at DEC, We charged OEMs 1000 each. They got what they could. Storage was pricy then. I was a member of T10 the SCSI committee.

I wrote major parts of the SATA spec at Maxtor and Seagate. 8 patents. Built the first fully integrated SATA chip and drive. Later worked on the 5Gb USB3 spec the signaling was heavily leveraged from SATA. Also a major contributor to the USB-C spec. My group did the first working pinout for a no-left or right plus no up or down cable. Just plug it in and it works.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 02-08-2024 at 09:56 AM..
Old 02-08-2024, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Tony,

Sounds like you have the expertise to volunteer to help with a software upgrade if Brent would welcome the assistance. Ron61 mentioned administering another site that upgraded. He can provide better details, but I don't believe it was very expensive, other than potentially someone's time to actually do the upgrade and database correction, if needed. Like many have already said before, the information on this site is invaluable and needs to be preserved and remain accessible.

Kevin
Old 02-08-2024, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Tony,

Sounds like you have the expertise to volunteer to help with a software upgrade if Brent would welcome the assistance. Ron61 mentioned administering another site that upgraded. He can provide better details, but I don't believe it was very expensive, other than potentially someone's time to actually do the upgrade and database correction, if needed. Like many have already said before, the information on this site is invaluable and needs to be preserved and remain accessible.

Kevin
Sorry. Pass. Never set up a forum. Used them yes. Managed, no. Plus as I understand this is a blade server in some building somewhere far away...
Old 02-08-2024, 10:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I'm a member of an Infiniti Q50 forum (my daily driver) that runs software similar to this but is more modern and runs like clockwork. It's NEVER down. Given the close similarity in format, I think all of the users here would find using Club Cobra on this software a 5 minute period of adjustment, it's really super similar. Perhaps rather than raising money in the blind, maybe it would be better for Brent to say "It's going to cost $XXXX to migrate the site to this new software, let's all raise the cash to do it." I'd be in on that in a heartbeat. As in all parts of life, it's always best to have a goal rather than a blind theory.

I'll put a link below to the Q50 site, not because anyone here would be interested in the content, but to show what the site looks like and how similar in function and layout it is. That site is rock stable. The software seems to be good.

https://www.infinitiq50.org/forums/
Old 02-08-2024, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
I'm a member of an Infiniti Q50 forum (my daily driver) that runs software similar to this but is more modern and runs like clockwork. It's NEVER down. Given the close similarity in format, I think all of the users here would find using Club Cobra on this software a 5 minute period of adjustment, it's really super similar. Perhaps rather than raising money in the blind, maybe it would be better for Brent to say "It's going to cost $XXXX to migrate the site to this new software, let's all raise the cash to do it." I'd be in on that in a heartbeat. As in all parts of life, it's always best to have a goal rather than a blind theory.

I'll put a link below to the Q50 site, not because anyone here would be interested in the content, but to show what the site looks like and how similar in function and layout it is. That site is rock stable. The software seems to be good.

https://www.infinitiq50.org/forums/
It is unlikely that the software you mention can just simply bolt up to the database file(s) used by this forum. The new software might have a conversion utility but you'd have to check. The good thing about a data conversion is that the new database will have all good tables. I'm going to assert the money spent on any software update will not fix anything except the vendors pocket book and that the update will have the same problems because I think the database is corrupted. Just intuition based on the fact that it seems to get worse and happen more often.

Scsi controllers don't cause software software access violations. Those come from software using a bad pointer.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 02-08-2024 at 11:09 AM..
Old 02-08-2024, 11:08 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I will talk to Brent (EM-0785) about his IT tech, maybe helping Brent Mills, since Brent Mills lives in Duvall WA. and Brent (EM-0785) lives in Bellevue WA. His Tech I'm sure is close by too. (30Miles?) I'm here anyway to help. Cheers Tom.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BTW why won't you remove the Keith Craft engines ad that is no longer in business since a few years.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godabitibi View Post
BTW why won't you remove the Keith Craft engines ad that is no longer in business since a few years.
Yes, good point, 'cause "click here" doesn't work.
Ron61 likes this.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 02-12-2024, 03:18 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

It is my understanding the forums are being moved remotely to a larger server.

Bill S.
Blue66 and Ron61 like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-12-2024, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

After being down all weekend, service is quick and crisp this morning. I hope this is the start of a new day for the forum. Thanks to all who might have helped make it better.
Blue66, Ron61, 1795 and 2 others like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 02-12-2024, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
After being down all weekend, service is quick and crisp this morning. I hope this is the start of a new day for the forum. Thanks to all who might have helped make it better.
Agreed! I've never seen it operate as fast as it is now. I've put it to the test a bit by opening multiple thread in tabs and all of them loaded as expected. In the past one or two would have had a connection error.

Fingers crossed the performance holds!

EDIT: Did get a "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 19388630 bytes) in F:\Inetpub\wwwroot\clubcobra\forums\network\functi ons_network.php on line 341" error when posting this reply.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I will try to post here and see how it works for me now. Everything went well when I was logging in and I hope it stays that way.

OK, I did get the error when I submitted this post.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 19388292 bytes) in F:\Inetpub\wwwroot\clubcobra\forums\network\functi ons_network.php on line 341

Ron
twobjshelbys and hazards280 like this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-12-2024, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Same here, works perfect now. Very fast compared to before.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Seems like we were down for about four days and now back up again. Performance is much improved, lets see how long it lasts ...

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Until the "Views" number is correctly represented next to the "Posts" numbers for the threads I think that is just indicative that it will remain broken and the leaks just become cumulative over time. I remember when we had the massive crash a few years ago that resulted in a multitude of smaller problems, many of which were never solved, and the Views/Posts values is but one of them.
twobjshelbys likes this.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

From my last post: