• 3 Post By Tommy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2024, 10:58 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default See this is why we can't have nice things.

This story just blows me away I never heard the word 'Karen' before, but this story brings them in perfect focus
These bunch of people decided they are more important than anyone else or anything else, as said the track has been there since 1957
Pacific Raceways (Kent WA) we had the same problem with housing moving in the 70's, it would be interesting to see how the owners of Pacific Raceways dealt with same problem, privately owned by the Firoito family for YEARS (Since 1959)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mot...ei=79#comments
Old 01-19-2024, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

People in Henderson and Las Vegas are suing over noise from planes landing at airports that existed 30 and 50 years before they were born. Why the courts won't throw out these nuisance suites is a mystery.

PS. If you google "highway 68 coalition" you'll see they've been up to this kind of stuff for a long time. I don't see they've won anything, just tying projects in the courts for years.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 01-19-2024 at 01:43 PM..
Old 01-19-2024, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another article

https://www.sfgate.com/centralcoast/...e-18585307.php
Old 01-19-2024, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

This is the kind of stuff that got Englishtown shut down.

These race tracks existed decades before people decided to move within earshot. There was no obfuscation or chicanery involved. In fact, the incoming proletariat were all aware of the racing facility and chose to move in anyhow.

After moving in, they began to complain about the sound from the race track that predated their arrival, which they had been admonished about prior to purchasing and moving in!

In the end, Englishtown lost the battle and ultimately had to close down their racing events. I see a repeat performance in the cards for Laguna Seca.

This is wrong, no matter how you look at it ...
Blue66 and Alfa02 like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We moved to Colorado for the second time just a few months after Denver International Airport opened. It was out in the middle of nowhere. Literally farmland and some sod farms. Industrial then moved in on the major roads like Pena and the eastern extents of roads like 104th and 120th. Then some residential started at and headed east to Tower Road. Tower was the western edge of the airport development area...

Now those people whose houses were built decades after the airport was built are complaining about the noise and want approaches changed so the planes don't fly over their houses.

The same thing is happening in Vegas. Places that were on the fringe of the airport have now been developed and now people are complaining. The Henderson airport was out in the sticks 5 years ago. Now homes are there and people are wanting to shut that airport down.

We had to sign an acknowledgement that our house was near an airport and that occasionally approaches might mean planes fly overhead. It does happen but not often and even when we're outside don't hear them. Even though our house is only about 2 miles south of the airport the flight pattern takes the approaches from the west to east about a mile south (but sometimes a little close) and then out east over Boulder City then back in so we don't get the airport noise. Occasionally we get a weather oriented private jet approach to Henderson which we do hear. We hear much more police helicopter activity. The coolest one was when the big multi-country thing was up at Nellis and we had a whole formation of about 10 Black Hawks fly overhead. THAT WAS NOISY!!!
Blue66 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:07 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default S o T (Save our Tracks)

Tony & Ed, I hope this never happens to Laguna Seca, or Pacific Raceways, I've raced at both tracks with Portland & Thunderhill thrown in.
All true road courses, that can ever be replaced by temporary street circuits, hitting concrete walls in vintage cars never work out well for the car. So don't get me started on this issue.
Even though I'm retired from racing, I still have plans to see racing @ these tracks, lets wish them all well, and if I every start acting like a 'Karen' somebody for god's sake drop me like a 3-foot putt Cheers TommyRot.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is as old as racetracks! Before WWI, Brooklands race track in the UK, had the same problem, they came up with an ingénues' solution called, the Brooklands can. A type of reverse chamber muffler, which helped silence the vehicles, but also increased power. Unfortunately, the more things change, the more they stay the same! Cheers, Dennis
eschaider and Alfa02 like this.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Sometimes there is justice.
A local gun club had been in existence and operating for many years. The town decided to build a high school across the road long after the club started. Later the high school sued to shut down the gun club. The club won, got a large settlement and moved to a new and better location. Not sure but perhaps part of the settlement was the club's move.
I'm a member of the club, seems that the members are happy and word is that the checkbook is full.
Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI shuts down operations for an hour or so on Sunday mornings.
There are ways to work with neighborhoods but it's not always easy and not everyone is reasonable.
Jim

Jim
eschaider and Alfa02 like this.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

We had a similar problem with people building above a working naval dockyard in Simon's Town and then complaining of industrial noise from dry docks.

Killarney Race track in Cape Town had similar problems with new developments near them.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

My last job in the Air Force was as commander of the 100th Flying Training Squadron flying T-37 and T-38 aircraft out of Williams Air Force Base. Williams was started in 1941 when it was about 25 miles from Phoenix, Arizona. When I was first assigned there in 1983 it was still more than five miles from the nearest fast food restaurant in Mesa, AZ. It's only neighbor was the GM testing area next door. GM and Air Force leaders worked together to discourage the development of residential areas nearby as they were sure to complain about the noise from both.

Due to the good weather in Arizona, Williams was the most productive of the five Air Force bases that trained new pilots for the Air Force. So as increasing civilian air traffic began to compete for more direct routes through Air Force training air space, the Air Force negotiated small changes to keep Williams viable. By 1990 developers were lobbying local politicians to approve development much closer to the base, and we knew they would soon start complaining about the “sounds of freedom” we enjoyed every day. It was about that time that Air Force leadership decided they needed to close one of the five pilot training bases for budget reasons.

You might think the most productive and cost effective pilot training base would be the last one they would close, but you would be wrong. They decided to close Williams in 1991 for three reasons. They knew that civil aviation pressure on their airspace would continue to grow. They knew noise complaints would begin to impact flight operations. And they knew the economy of the Phoenix metropolitan area would be far less affected than any of the smaller towns, like Lubbock, Texas, that hosted the other four pilot training bases. And so it closed.

While the impact of closing or restricting operations at a race track affects many people, closing the most cost effective pilot training base in the Air Force affected the pocketbooks of every tax payer. Like the popular T-shirt says, “I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.”
eschaider, twobjshelbys and Alfa02 like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 01-20-2024 at 11:33 AM..
Old 01-20-2024, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
People in Henderson and Las Vegas are suing over noise from planes landing at airports that existed 30 and 50 years before they were born. Why the courts won't throw out these nuisance suites is a mystery.

PS. If you google "highway 68 coalition" you'll see they've been up to this kind of stuff for a long time. I don't see they've won anything, just tying projects in the courts for years.
I'm surprised the courts haven't ruled these actions as 'vexatious litigation' and tossed them entirely.
eschaider, twobjshelbys and Alfa02 like this.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I'm surprised the courts haven't ruled these actions as 'vexatious litigation' and tossed them entirely.
A court that let's a suit for spilled coffee proceed and furthermore let's a ludicrous award stand will take anything. Lower courts are now just arraignment courts that take on anything and let appeals sort it out.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Steamboat Springs, CO, the condo people hated the sound of the vintage motorcycles racing the road course. They got the race closed and built a condo on the track. A few years latter, they wished they hadn't done that, businesses lost millions from all us bikers coming into town, a little poetic justice! Cheers, Dennis
Old 01-20-2024, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
They should but do not. Tony nailed the answer to the why not question.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Englishtown

I use to race my motorcycle there. I don't know how Wall Stadium manages to stay open.

Fred

These race tracks existed decades before people decided to move within earshot. There was no obfuscation or chicanery involved. In fact, the incoming proletariat were all aware of the racing facility and chose to move in anyhow.

After moving in, they began to complain about the sound from the race track that predated their arrival, which they had been admonished about prior to purchasing and moving in!

In the end, Englishtown lost the battle and ultimately had to close down their racing events. I see a repeat performance in the cards for Laguna Seca.

This is wrong, no matter how you look at it ...[/quote]
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

Surely the race track can counter sue the property owners as they must have known of the noise and crowd problems which would have discounted the value of their property when they bought and are now trying to remedy those problems to artificially increase said value at the cost of the track owners?????? I'm sure they used said problems to reduce the values when having rates and taxes assessed.

This is said tongue in cheek but in the litigious society like America it seems that anything goes.

Last edited by Snake2998; 01-22-2024 at 12:18 AM..
Old 01-22-2024, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I suspect the complainers use politics more than legal action to get their way. When the number of complainers exceeds the number of racers who vote in LOCAL elections, noise ordinances and other restrictions will take their toll. . . . Unless a local politician owns the track.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor