Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Aluminium body value difference (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/147585-aluminium-body-value-difference.html)

Godabitibi 01-31-2024 12:08 PM

Aluminium body value difference

I was wondering thinking about my project what would be the difference in value for 2 identical cars one in fiberglass and one in aluminum.
I'm now seriously looking at building one from scratch with help of some.
I know an aluminum body is a lot more investment but I think it may be worth the trouble.
And yes I found someone to make it.

So please lets bring in your thoughts.

Alfa02 01-31-2024 12:24 PM

IMPO, an Aluminum car is not worth the extra 30-40K min. investment, that only comes into play when it's time to sell it. At car shows you would have hover over it, I've had guys & girls come up and think about rapping on the fender with their knuckles :mad: If that was an aluminum Cobra, you're looking at a DENT, and then a rap up-side the head is in order :D

patrickt 01-31-2024 01:03 PM

If you roll the lips under the fender wells most people can not tell the difference between a painted aluminum car and a painted glass car. I've had "really savvy car guys" feel under the wells with their fingers, tap the body with their knuckle, and then say "yep, that's aluminum.":LOL: Now, one real benefit with aluminum is that's it easier to ground.:cool:

twobjshelbys 01-31-2024 02:14 PM

If you're going to basically subcontract the aluminum body to someone that can hand-roll the body from a buck (you'll have to find one) then the labor will far exceed the cost of a finished roller from Shelby or Kirkham. Unless you've found someone that is going to do it for free. I doubt you'll find someone that will take minimum wage for a one or two year project.

I'll also assert that the cost of a home built alloy car for materials and labor will exceed the difference in price for an identically configured roller from Kirkham or Shelby. Why do I make that assertion? Because if someone could do it cheaper then Kirkham or Shelby, they would be and would own the market... Even Hi-Tech's special one off alloy cars are more expensive than K or S. Why? Manual labor for forming exceeds aircraft assembly factory.

To get a difference in eventual value check the pricing from Shelby American and Kirkham for the aluminum car. Shelby used to have a pricing calculator where the alloy body was an upgrade so you could select all the other options (like heater or glove box) and then select alloy or glass to see the pricing difference. It used to be about 100K.

sgianino 01-31-2024 03:34 PM

I would do Copper myself, then let it Oxidize to a nice green patina....

CSX2345 01-31-2024 03:46 PM

Have you spoke with Jeff? His screen name is "1985 CCX".

Maybe he'll chime in.

He took delivery of a non-Kirkham aluminum 427 (Panel Craft I believe) and is in the process of completing a 1/2 fiberglass, 1/2 aluminum Hi-Tech.

Cheers

patrickt 01-31-2024 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX2345 (Post 1522745)
H... and is in the process of completing a 1/2 fiberglass, 1/2 aluminum Hi-Tech.

I would make the driver side glass and the passenger side aluminum. Either that or the other way around.:cool:

twobjshelbys 01-31-2024 04:18 PM

There's another point about scratch builds. Do it only if you're an experienced fabricator and willing to dedicate enormous amounts of time.

For most people there are also investments in tools and other items that you'll use only once. And most who have done it have or wish they had a lift.

Do it for the love of hands on work, not to save money.

You should read every topic here:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/

Good luck.

mrmustang 01-31-2024 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godabitibi (Post 1522740)
I was wondering thinking about my project what would be the difference in value for 2 identical cars one in fiberglass and one in aluminum.
I'm now seriously looking at building one from scratch with help of some.
I know an aluminum body is a lot more investment but I think it may be worth the trouble.
And yes I found someone to make it.

So please lets bring in your thoughts.

The bottom line, it will depend on the quality of the materials used, and the quality of the work which will determine the value of one specific car. Regardless of course whether it is fiberglass or aluminum for the body.

Bill S.

Godabitibi 01-31-2024 06:24 PM

I have experience with fabrication and I love it. I would do it because waiting time for a new kit will be as long as a good part of the built. And I will have exactly what I want. Any kit is NOT as I would like it to be.

patrickt 01-31-2024 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godabitibi (Post 1522749)
I have experience with fabrication and I love it. I would do it because waiting time for a new kit will be as long as a good part of the built. And I will have exactly what I want. Any kit is NOT as I would like it to be.

Alright, I say go for it and start a new a build thread here.:cool:

Godabitibi 01-31-2024 06:34 PM

If it happen I will.

patrickt 01-31-2024 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godabitibi (Post 1522751)
If it happen I will.

Alright, but we have an entire forum area replete with "what might have been" threads.:cool:

twobjshelbys 01-31-2024 07:57 PM

Go for it!! It didn't happen if there are no pics

eschaider 01-31-2024 08:17 PM

Doing a scratch-build car, if anything, is a very daunting endeavor and a virtual impossibility for a first-timer. Add to that the challenge of fabricating an aluminum body, and the number of successful builders that can produce something you would not be ashamed to show off, is vanishingly small.

Don't make an already tough job impossibly challenging unless you are into building rather than driving.

sgianino 02-01-2024 04:31 AM

Looking forward to this Build !! Keep us Posted on the Day by Day progress.

peterpjb 02-01-2024 08:58 AM

here are comparable offers for

aluminum: 380t
and fiberglas: 200t

https://www.hillbankusa.com/vehicles...ersary-289-fia

https://www.hillbankusa.com/vehicles...ersary-289-fia

Godabitibi 02-01-2024 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaider (Post 1522754)
Doing a scratch-build car, if anything, is a very daunting endeavor and a virtual impossibility for a first-timer. Add to that the challenge of fabricating an aluminum body, and the number of successful builders that can produce something you would not be ashamed to show off, is vanishingly small.

Don't make an already tough job impossibly challenging unless you are into building rather than driving.

Some explanation of my skills and knowledge.

Yes that would be my first Cobra but
-I did full ground up rotisserie concours restorations that did the pages of magazines.
-I do show quality bodywork
-I built a helicopter and flew it
-I can machine and weld
-I confirmed with a coachbuilder he can do the aluminum body for next january.

I am totally aware of the task it is to built such a project but also what it would be at the end.

I'm presently just verifying all my options and possibility to decide which route I will be taking.

I have other cars to drive while I build it. Driving is fun but building too and I know I would be extremely proud of my Cobra when done.

Godabitibi 02-01-2024 09:48 AM

When it comes to cars I'm an extremist. I explain !
It may not make sense to many kit builders.

I plan my car to have black cast iron intake.
Steel valve covers.
Narrow whitewall tires.
Generator instead of alternator.

I've seen such cars in the pages here.

1985 CCX 02-01-2024 10:22 AM

Ok,

I'll bite.
Alloy is bottom line more to build $$ and more to buy $$. (way more than you plan no matter what)
Like it or not, its the case. I only chose alloy for my HTM as I could not replace the glass body so alloy was the route.
I have three alloy cars
Goldie 1/2 alloy http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scra...-progress.html
HTM111 ~ 60% http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/hi-t...ard-build.html
AC1085 - Alloy
427 S/C - Alloy, so three + http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scra...under-way.html

Alloy benefits: ................ Drawbacks:
Its alloy :D ..................... $$$$$ way more than you plan on and FRAGILE...
Sell time more $$$$$

Glass or Carbon fiber benefits: ................. Drawbacks
Cheaper ............................................ People attitudes
Tougher
Easier to fix
Cannot tell in general once painted

HTM111 is alloy windscreen back and hood.
I did this as the costs mount fast, very fast.
Plus I like to have the durable front that can be leaned on when wrenching and withstand rocks while driving.

My friend Lynn P asked, you plan to sell it, I said no. He said my course of direction is great then :)

A well done car is well done car in either case, a badly done alloy car is less favorable than a awesomely done glass car every day!
Quality is key!
A great replica is always better than a bad one no matter what its made from. Focus on awesome and what you want, then it will be perfect.