28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug, and jeff. Thanks so much i have to admitt i am the biggest dork when it comes to anything that has to do with the computer i have to ask the wife or the 8 year old neighbor to help me ,i bought a new camera and im still figuring it out i have a bunch of pictures im dying to post.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hopefully this thread is still alive! New contemporary cobra owner here, finally got the car last week. Where do you find the chassis number? Is it stamped anywhere on the car? The only tag i can find has cvx-4044 which I am guessing is not correct (yes, it is cVx).

Anyway, the car originally had a 289 in it but we just put in a 427 SO with tunnel port heads and dual carbs. (Still sorting out some annoying motor mount issues.) It has a 4 speed top loader tranny. The car is cherry red with white stripes, jag front and rear suspension, and true knock-offs.

Super excited, always wanted a cobra and I still can't believe that I own one now!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I technically own a contemporary.....but have yet to see it! Nick aka Mickmate is currently doing some upgrades on it for me and hopefully I will be taking delivery by the end of the month! CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed, jag front and rear, true knock offs. Currently having a watts linkage installed. Cannot wait to get behind the wheel! Mark
Attached Images

Last edited by azfordman; 07-08-2010 at 09:32 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default locating Chassis numbers

I own a Contemporary Cobra and would like to locate the chassis number. Also, where is the engine block number?
This car was built in 1990 by the same moron who built Zimmy's car. Totally rebuilt now. Original owner had 1100 miles on it when he parked it after doing a donut in 4 lanes of heavy traffic. When I bought it the car had not been started for 18 or so years. I love the car and now drive it daily as is possible.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

The number should be on the drivers side front frame rail (round tube)between the X-brace and front support. I have a really old one and it is located just after the motor mount.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Purchased CCX 3-3417 in 2005. Built by Don Borders in CA in 1989. 1968 427 F. E. side-oiler with all engine work done by D & G Automotive and installed and test run in at Borders. Torsion bar front with Jag steering and rear 3:54 rear with top loader 4 speed.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Used too....
Old 07-09-2010, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can someone post a picture of the serial number? I cannot find mine. I looked all over the frame yesterday.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 07-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Drew

1) Jack your front left wheel off the ground.
2) Pull off wheel
3) Follow the base of your front A-arm
4) Wipe the area down with window cleaner
5) Near the rear A-arm bracket will be the stamped #, might need to casta shadow with a falshlight as many numbers are very weakly stamped.

The number will either be in
CCX3-3XXX or date coded ie: 082481
Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jeff,

Thanks for the instructions. Unfortunately, I have still not been able to find the chassis code. I even looked farther down the frame closer to the motor mounts. Any other suggestions?

Drew
Old 07-12-2010, 02:26 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnake428 View Post
Jeff,

Thanks for the instructions. Unfortunately, I have still not been able to find the chassis code. I even looked farther down the frame closer to the motor mounts. Any other suggestions?

Drew
Are you sure you own a Contemporary? Where are you located, maybe we have a member who can assist you personally.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-12-2010, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill,

I actually debated that myself for quite some time! I am also fairly new to the cobra community, so I certainly could be misidentifying the chassis. However, several things match up too well with the Contemporary chassis. The car has front and rear Jag suspension, vertical radiator, the gauges are exactly like most Contemporary's I have seen with the speedometer going backwards, etc... I can post some pictures if this doesn't sound right.

Drew
Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New CCX owner in NH

Owner name: Joe Kearns

Club Cobra Name: Joe18d

State Registered:NH

Email Address: Joe18d@aol.com

Phone (optional):

Car Manufactured date:080380

Contemporary Classic CCX#:frame # 080380-03

Motor:289

Transmission:4-speed top loader

Color: Dark Blue

Picture: (I can pull from CC gallery) To Follow

Further Details for mention: Bell housing is marked "COBRA", no roll bar, under car exhaust, no stripes & no hood scoop. '61 XKE front / rear suspension & Compomotive wheels.

I enjoyed reading this thread & thought I would try & revive it. Great website, now I am just hoping for some good weather to get a few miles in before winter arrives.

Joe
Old 09-10-2013, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for reviving it. I never saw it. I sure would like some pix of your under car exhaust set up. I'm building a never started 'virgin' Contemporary. I wonder how many untouched cars there are around?
Let me know if you want the build manuals for your car. I have them in PDF (as well as many others do)
john.chamorro1@gmail.com
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

"102" one of the prototypes. Did not know it was a prototype. I asked Peter " so "102" does that mean you made 102 or 2 ? And of course Peter being the snake oil guy he is said " somewhere in between"
Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CCX in NH vin correction

Sorry about that, I was going from memory last night and the # on the car is actually 110380-03.

Joe in NH
Old 09-11-2013, 03:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Joe that means your car was the 3rd chassis they built that day. Good days production at Contemporary.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Some of the earlier ones got out the door without a stamped CCX #. Some had body numbers on the firewall. There were a couple of others that made them a lot like a Contemporary with some subtle differences, Image Auto Works and Midstates come to mind.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic
Not Ranked     
Default Just purchased

Bought contemporary 3098 from 80 year-old gentleman who had it for 30 years. BBC in it now but changing to FE. Any oil pan, intake choice suggestions for clearance would be appreciated. Thank you.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a road race style pan with windage tray and oil pickup I'll make you a smokin' deal on.