Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic
Not Ranked     

Send specifics when you can please. Not sure if communication outside of forum is permitted. Let me know how this works best. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

PhotoPost Classifieds - USED OIL PAN, WINDAGE TRAY and OIL PICKUP - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

My email is john.chamorro1@gmail.com

I'm actually selling off quite a few things from engines to gauges and everything in between.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 427SC & Factory Five Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

My name is Dean Colussy. I own Contemorary Cobra 090181 Body# 103 Now carries Pa Special Construction Vin SK7164Pa live near Pittsburgh,Pa. It's torsion bar Jag front & Jag rear. 351C motor Toploader 4spd. Painted Porsche Blue/Green Iris It was ordered by Fran kress 08/16/81 and then sold to Howard kauf on 08/18/87. I purchased it from Howard on 04/07/2017
Old 12-10-2020, 02:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccobra View Post
My name is Dean Colussy. I own Contemorary Cobra 090181 Body# 103 Now carries Pa Special Construction Vin SK7164Pa live near Pittsburgh,Pa. It's torsion bar Jag front & Jag rear. 351C motor Toploader 4spd. Painted Porsche Blue/Green Iris It was ordered by Fran kress 08/16/81 and then sold to Howard kauf on 08/18/87. I purchased it from Howard on 04/07/2017
Good "o'l Fran has his fingers in all of these cars....
Old 12-11-2020, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft Racing

I bought my Backdraft Racing build no. 151 a few years ago. Titanium silver with black stripes, 351W by Ford Racing, bored to 418, complete roller engine, 750 Holley double pumper, approximately 525 hp. 5-speed Tremec, and a two stage hydraulic clutch.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Just to add a long overdue update. CCX 3209 was totalled in 2008 by a lady with an SUV and a cell phone while assisting with an accident. RIP Black Car.

CCX 3069 was transported from Tarzana Ca. to Mesa AZ in May of that same year and fills the gap in my garage. Having recently undergone a complete frame off, it now is Roso Corsa Red with a Tremec TKX transmission. The FE block is bored to 4.100 and running a 428 crank with Eidlebrach heads which gives it about 420 cubic inches displacement. A Comp roller cam Ford high rise manifold with a quick fuel carburetor. The partially crack upholstry has all been redone with german glove leather and it is running Vintage 15" wheels.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."

Last edited by Danr55; 12-13-2020 at 02:03 PM..
Old 04-26-2021, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Contemporary Cobra 3416 and Clutch Issue

Hello

Found this thread while searching for mechanical issue fix.

I have 66 427SC guardsman blue Contemporary Cobra #3416 with Lee Holman built 427 sideoiler, IDA webers, and Dan Williams nascar 4 speed toploader.

Has about 2500 miles on it.

Recently, although I could get into gear without engine running, could not get into gear with engine running. Master and slave appear ok. Bled slave and movement of slave looks normal.

Any thoughts on what to look at before drastic measures have to take place?

Given drastic measures are required, for the life of me I don't see how, with the originality of the Contemporary frame and the tubular frame cross member at the rear of the transmission below the shifter, I remove bellhousing and transmission from the motor. Is it possible on the Contemporary to R&R the bellhousing, transmission, and work on the clutch with the motor still installed in the car?

Thanx
Mark
Old 04-26-2021, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Sounds like the clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel (rust/oxidized). Try starting it in gear, make sure nothing is in front of the car.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Cobra CCX-3-3967
Not Ranked     

https://mossmotoring.com/free-seized-clutch-disc/
Old 04-27-2021, 07:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Mutt, on both Contemporarys that I have owned, it has been necessary to cut the cross member and weld in flanges so it could be bolted back in. This could then be unbolted if and when necessary to remove the transmission.
Thor maine likes this.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."

Last edited by Danr55; 04-27-2021 at 07:33 AM..
Old 04-27-2021, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

If you take the driveshaft off you can slip the transmission back enough to take off the bell housing and service the clutch. to get the trans out you will then have to lift the engine up in order to slide the trans out. The newer frames have the flanged cut out on them.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanx for the help...stuck clutch disc as suggested.

Had car on lift. So, moved it to back of lift, put it in reverse, had helper put the clutch in, and pushed it down the ramp. At first, it didn't want to break loose, but then it broke loose and hung up again. Repeated pushing with clutch in and it appeared to break loose a little more.

Pushed the car in neutral back about 20' from garage, connected car to the winch I have on the front of the lift, put it in 4th, put clutch in, and pulled car with winch feeling it continuously breaking loose. Repeated this in 3rd, 2nd, and 1st.

Car then cranked normally with clutch in in all gears.

Did notice occasionally that car didn't want to go into gear with clutch in motor running, so pumped clutch and that alleviated the problem. Have bled slave a number of times and it is getting full motion when I watch it with helper pushing in clutch. Will have to figure this out next.

Thanx again for the help!!

Next clutch task...replace Ferrari Boxer slave and slave hydraulic line.

Then figure out GT40 clutch issue. No clutch pressure whatsoever.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Moving toploader back sounds great. I'd prefer not to have to remove motor nor cut crossmember.

What needs to removed or loosened (other than the driveshaft) to move the toploader back far enough to remove bell housing to change out clutch components?
Old 03-02-2022, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have one. where is the number? Thanks
Old 03-05-2022, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does this sound about right for sliding toploader back in order to work on clutch:
- remove collar around shift lever
- from below, remove the two bolts attaching shift lever to shifter mechanism
- remove 4 bolts at rear of driveshaft attaching it to transaxle
- pull drive shaft from toploader and work it out of the way
- remove bolts attaching toploader to bellhousing
- remove two nuts and bolts attaching toploader to frame
- have support ready for toploader
- slide toploader back in tunnel far enough to remove bellhousing
Old 03-06-2022, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Cobra CCX-3-3967
Not Ranked     

You probably want to remove the Speedo Cable as well before sliding back.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutt View Post
Moving toploader back sounds great. I'd prefer not to have to remove motor nor cut crossmember.

What needs to removed or loosened (other than the driveshaft) to move the toploader back far enough to remove bell housing to change out clutch components?
Mutt,

I highly recommend starting a new, stand alone thread for your car when asking specific questions so they do not get lost in the main discussion of someone elses thread.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-08-2022, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, measurements show would be tough in best situation to move my toploader back while leaving Contemporary frame intact.

So, new plan is to pull the motor from the forward edge of the bellhousing. Will be a lot easier to replace pilot bearing, rear main seal, flywheel, clutch plate, spring, and throwout bearing with motor out of car. From what I've read, appears most difficult task will be realigning input shaft with pilot bearing.

Good idea on separate thread. Thanx.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Cut the trans crossmember! Mark it for orientation and get 4- 3 inch 3 bolt flanges, cut the crossmember remove your transmission for work and then fit and weld up the flanges and presto you have a removable trans crossmember for any future work!
Old 03-28-2022, 05:38 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Ccx-3-3708

Just acquired one from a my father, there’s much for me to learn and research on this beautiful car.
1985 CCX likes this.