MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
View Poll Results: Have you been to a two-day or more high performance driving school?
YES 46 53.49%
NO 40 46.51%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2003, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Whaler,

An interesting observation.... and I'm guilty.....
Old 01-14-2003, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Good thread here, and one that all should consider. My car isn't finished yet but I will avoid the "red mist" when I get it finished.

As far as experience - Drag Raced a BMP 55 Chevy in H.S., raced speedway bikes and moto-cross in the late 60's. Autocrossed a 911 from mid 70's to early 80's. Raced SCCA for 4 years (80 - 84) in EP Speedster and CSR (March chassis), and have owned a bunch of high performance street cars. Almost forgot the 1500 hp helicopters I flew at tree top level for 3 years.

With that said I have a healthy respect for low weight - high horsepower transportation and will not be caught with my pants down in my Unique. I will due track events when I feel the need for speed and just enjoy the lumpy idle while on the street.

Randy
Old 01-15-2003, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I voted "yes" but I have not yet gone to school or gotten my Cobra delivered; however, I believe my vote reflects my situation. I will be getting my SPF car in March and then will get the engine and tanny installed. I am arleady signed up for the Bondurant 4-Day Grand Prix Road Racing school in late April. I could not schedule it any earlier due to work related conflicts. I believe that I need the experience at driving school before I do much more than "putt-putt" with my Cobra.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 427 Comp Cobra
Not Ranked     

My 15 year dream is finished, minus paint. After about 400 miles on her I got the guts to open up the throttle. What a rush. I will be attending a driving school to figure out to put the power to the road.
Charleston AFB SC

Load Clear!
Old 01-15-2003, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's been over 10 years since I took my FIRST driving course. Formula Ford, crash box tranny (double clutch to down shift). Several courses since then, I'm STILL learning! I've got a LOT of respect for those that can "trail brake" into a corner and get it right MOST of the time. For me, that seems to be the hardest thing to be consistent with. And if you get it wrong, you will likely spin, or like my friend recently, ROLL the car.

Ernie
Old 01-16-2003, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did a Barber Performance Driving school in 1987, several open track schools like Driving Ambitions, and especially with COM in NH. And at least 10 days of open track a year since. Even got a lesson in spin non-control from Cranky at VIR last year. lol It's time for another formal school, I know a lot of bad habits have settled in.

McFEz
I did it the hard way, I learned in a Big Block car.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

McFez

And I would certainly appreciate any instructions and thoughts you can throw my way. Something tells me I'm gonna be starting all over again with this beast. Wouldn't mind a little cockpit time with ya at the Spring Fling.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ASSOLUTELY!
Old 01-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Old 01-16-2003, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1812, 331/365RWHP, 4 tires and one insane driver
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Skip Barber three day competition school, followed by years of lapping days. Autocross and some open track. Well worth the time and money as said before. Each time I take the Cobra out for a drive, I'm humbled to know what's beneath me and take my time to be "comfortable" again in the car. Drive defensively and watch everything. I think more things can happen in these from "on lookers". You know how the hands will follow the eyes, for all you racers.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My two sons and daughter in law and me at school.
(She can drive like a bat out of ----)
Best time we have had in a long time.
OK, wanted to fix pix.

Last edited by ls1ac; 01-16-2003 at 06:46 PM..
Old 01-16-2003, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try again,
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2003, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

Right after we got our SPF in Feb, 00, my son then about 20, and i attended an Olthoff Sponsored driving weekend at nearby Charlotte motor speedway. My son had lots of instruction and seat time on the short infield course, up to about 90+MPH, and a lot of skidpad time. More than me.

A few days later, he was driving, me riding, on an interstate heading back to his college, Clemson, in southern SC. He was crusing about about 75 in the left lane, when another vehicle, some sort of minivan, moved abruptly from the right lane immediatly in front of our car, not more than a few feet. In a moment, the minivan went to full lock braking. Chris got on the brakes, with the nose of our SPF not more than 10 feet behind the leading minivan, with me all the time saying to myself "we are absolutely going to impact the minivan's rear. "

But when we and the minvivan were finally stopped, with the same 10 feet or less separating us, we found that a Jeep had flipped off a trailer just in front of us all. Hence the panic stop.

It is very rare to have to brake to zero mph from "speed." When i collected my wits, i asked Chris how he managed to keep from hitting the minivan. He calmly replied.

"If Dennis Olthoff had not taught me how to threashold brake, i never would have stopped in time."

Since then, between the two of us, i guess we have about 600-700 laps on various courses. Mostly i have learned that at some point, i am no longer influencing the direction of the car.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 01-16-2003, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #1459 w/460(sold)New(used),spf w/427s.o.(sold)
Not Ranked     
Default ANY SUGGESTIONS

JUST GOT MY CAR LAST WEEK.I USED TO RACE CROTCH ROCKETS ,BUT THIS IS A NEW KINDA ANIMAL.....i AM FROM THE CHICAGO AREA,ANY SCHOOLS THAT CAN BE RECOMENDED?WHATS THE BEST......I ALREADY HAVE RESPECT FOR THIS ANIMAL,NOW MUST LEARN TO DRIVE IT (THE CORRECT WAY)

SPARKS
Old 01-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Can anyone recommend a driving school within reasonable driving distance of the NY/NJ metro area??

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 01-16-2003, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try www.racingadventures.com Not good for getting your scca ticket but a good school for handling these cars.
I believe they have a school in DC area.