14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2003, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Morgan +8 (still researching Cobras)
Not Ranked     

Both are VERY nice cars, but I think the ERA is closer to the original in appearance.

The SPF has a few details that are not quite as original:
- The section of the body underneath the radiator opening and above the oil cooler opening has a sharply concave curve -- this panel (from top to bottom) is flatter on the originals and on the ERA. Also, the curve of the body as it wraps into the mouth is sharper (tighter radius) on the SPF than ERA or original
- The crease where the front fender meets the flare is more pronounced, especially toward the front of the car at the bottom of the curve ahead of the wheel
- The vents on the front fenders behind the wheels are not as original -- look at the two cars for the differences (I can't describe it well)
- Under the hood, ERA replicates the appearance of the original's front suspension mounting structure, because it is visible when the hood is open
- SPF hangs the pedals from above -- ERA pedals are hinged on the floor, as original
- The inboard rollbar tube of the SPF is visible behind the seat ahead of the bulkhead, but the outboard tube is not -- both tubes are visible on the ERA, as original. (As far as I know, SPF, ERA, and of course Kirkham and Shelby are the ONLY manufacturers that don't incorrectly hide both of the roll bar tubes behind the bulkhead)
- The angle of the rollbar support tube (the one that extends rearward through the rear panel) is too vertical on the SPF, though better than most others. The ERA rollbar does this right.
- The windshield wipers on the SPF park to the left, while the ERA's park to the right. I've been told that the originals came both ways, but personally I've only seen originals with wipers that park on the right.

I don't mean to sound as though I'm picking on the SPF -- it's a fabulous car, and more "accurate" than almost any other glass replica. But to answer Ray's question, the ERA is just that bit more true to the original in appearance. I can identify an SPF at a considerable distance. I have to get very close to an ERA to determine whether it's an original or a replica.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

If i have learned one thing from three years on CC, it would be that any subtle "put down" or critiicism of this or that replica will bring forth vengence and rebuttal.

As for the several replica's in this thread, i have seen them all, and they are all fine cars. All three manufacturers are highly respected by their drivers.

I don't know what to make of the "originality" thing. I first got interested in these cars, since i had always coveted the originals i saw back in the '60's, in the late '70's. Back then it was ERA and Contemporary. R&T had a test and comparison, and i noted the remark that the latter was a bit more "real" than the ERA. So i promptly decided that i would try to someday get a Contemporary. Actually, until after i bought my SPF, i never actually saw either of them!!! But i was driven to be the most authentic i could get, and ignored the ERA's for two decades.

Pretty foolish of me, but i could not afford any one, so it didn't make any difference.

So for me, my SPF, especially since the Olthoff's are only an hour north of me, and i go up there a lot, (my car is there now getting a race rollbar, etc), has been the "best" car for Hal.

My car is very original where it counts, or where others see it. Exceedingly reliable, fast and fun every day.

If you think deciding what replica to get is hard, wait until you have to decide on colors, wheels, and engines!!!

If you really want to see all sorts of variations, you might want to go to the next Spring Fling, and see hundreds of them.

Oh, to correct myself, Bob Olthoff told me that oil on the rear brakes always resulted in no rear braking after the first few laps, i assumed it was because the originals had inboard brakes. I guess the oil from high rpm use back then lubed even outboard brakes. I have ridden with Bob on a race track, and perhaps that is why he is blindingly fast, and yet rarely touches the brakes at all. Grew up without them, i guess.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 01-24-2003, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray My ERA is going on 20 years old, its been to the Pocono race track once and limerock twice. Now I only have time for the local cruises and a show or two a year and it still looks and drive like new. Peter said that the construction of the ERA body was so good that it would not stress or spider crack even after years of hard driving, well 20 years later and not ONE crack of stress line. Lots of chips on the original paint was the cause of the 2nd repaint but that's it. I must admit when I'm parked next to other makes of cobra that it just seems to sit right. Its more than just the shape of the body, ERA spent alot of time not only on the body mounting points but the frame and suspension dynamics. A picture might be better than words so check out my photo gallery.
I do agree with everyone elts that you cant go wrong with either manufacture.
Good luck with your selection
Ron
PS
I did like the fact that after 20 years I added some upgrades and ERA is here in the states, so getting the new parts was just a drive away.

Last edited by Ron Randall; 01-24-2003 at 11:28 AM..
Old 01-24-2003, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One of the nice things about Superformance is that now they have a parts and spares warehouse in VA. If a dealer doesn't have a part, they can overnight it to you. I needed a headlight relay, actually a VW part, and they had it to me the next day from the VA warehouse.

So both companies work very hard to keep spares and supplies available for their customers. If you rip off a corner on a road course, they got those body parts, too.

Companies that survive understand the importance of after the sale support. These do, that's for sure.

Superformance also builds other cars, they build one of the AC cars, and also one or more of the Panoz cars, i am not sure if it is the race one or one of their other ones.

Go strap one on, and test it.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 01-24-2003, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     
Default ERA vs SPF

I had another brand of cobra prior to buying my SPF. I did drive 2 older ERAs and had been in a SPF dealer demo. Both were fine driving, very tight, true to form, everything was nicely proportioned and fitted. Here are my thoughts on the 2, first and foremost, the SPF is not available in a kit form. This is the biggest reason I wanted to go with SPF because I know that when I go to sell this car (perish the thought) I know that a buyer halfway across the country can look at my dyno and spec sheet, and provided the pictures are clear and indicate accurately the condition of the car, that person can purchase the car almost without ever seeing it. With ERA, yes you can buy a complete turn key minus, but for any potential buyer out there, there will always remain a little uncertainty about what stage the car evolved from their factory and what portion of the car was completed by the owner. Both outstanding cars, it's just that the SPF will vary one from another SPF only to the extent their drive trains are different. Each ERA is much more of a one-off custom car, unless you're dealing with ERA's factory assembled turn key minus, all I am saying is that it would be difficult to know for sure who and how did all the work on an ERA. I am on my second cobra and how each is built is wildly different from the next unless its built in South Africa or in New Briton. Both exceptional well thought out cars, every detail was thoroughly thought out and tested and retooled and tested again.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

First things first-
Hal- nice write up in Car Craft by the way (p. 27 for those who haven't seen it yet)

Now on to the debate. I agree with almost everything that has been said, especially Jamo and JWheaton's comments. I looked at SPF and ERA and both are great cars. For me, I just liked the body of the ERA better-(JW- I too thought Peter's real Cobra was an ERA, but I found out on my second trip there and didn't have to ask or get laughed at ). I never really noticed the "long nose" of the SPF . . . for me it was all about the shape of the rear deck/ rear fender/ rear tire relation. The ERA just looked a little wider- or a little fuller - than the SPF. SPF seemed a bit narrower and slightly higher in the butt than the ERA (not enough to qualify as "perky" though).

Also, I wanted to do some of the build myself. Somehow things feel "more mine" when they have some blood, sweat and (hopefully not too many) tears involved. (although at this point, I won't have much to do b/c I've just about ordered a complete roller).

Other than that, I think I don't have much more to add to what has been said already. Look at them, drive 'em both (if possible) and see which you like better. I really don't think you make a mistake either way.

Good luck.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 01-24-2003, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ray,

As you can tell, there have been a lot of good comments here on the two brands. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either one. The best thing to do is to drive each one and decide which one fits your needs better. Its not just about looks, but handling as well. Good luck in your quest.

Ross
Old 01-24-2003, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Bargains in Used Car Market

In my original post, I mentioned the used car market. No fooling, there really are some great bargains out there...Superformance and ERA included. If you're gonna buy a used Cobra, this is the best time to do so. You can easily find slightly-used Cobras at great prices.....NO waiting required. Just write your check and enjoy.

Y'all take it easy now, Brett
Old 01-24-2003, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All -

Thanks again for the info. Per the reply posted above, if you have comments that you don't want to post on the forum for fear of flames, please email me instead. I'm just looking for all opinions and points of view.

As for new vs used, I will be shopping the used market before buying new. I like a bargain as much as the next person! If I can't find a "deal", I'll buy new.

Feel free to keep the comments and opinions coming! You folks are great!
Old 01-24-2003, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Ray R.

There is a green ERA 427 on the market that is one of the best looking cars I've ever seen... Scan the "Cobra for sale" page on this forum and you'll find it..
It's just a great looking car...
al
Old 01-24-2003, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I had lots of little Cobras until Oscar the house thief stole all of them
Not Ranked     

I have been researching these cars for the last couple of years when I made the decision to get one. I originally was going to go the SPF route. I went to car shows and took many rides. Sweet car. Nice ride, looks good. I just decided I wanted to build it myself. With a SPF there are options but you still pretty much are going to see yourself coming at car shows or races. It seems they all are Guardsman Blue, 392 stroker, etc.... With a kit you can personalize it. By my estimates an ERA built by me will be slightly more expensive than a SPF. Slightly I mean $ 2-3000. When you're already spending $ 45-50 K on a car what's another $ 2g's ? Either way you'll be happy. Good luck

Old 01-24-2003, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

So what is the problem with Guardsman blue?
Old 01-24-2003, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've driven ERAs (thanks Turk!) and many SPFs. What tied the knot for me was how much work Turk put into the bodywork (200+ hours) on his stunningly beautiful ERA. In California (San Francisco Bay Area), the price of bodywork and paint to equal the finish of a standard SPF car would be easily be in the $10k to $12k range. This is nearly a third of the price of a new SPF.
Add in the fact that every component on the SPF is brand new and the waiting list for an ERA is anywhere from a year to a year and a half it made my desision to buy a SPF pretty easy. But if Turk's ERA would have been for sale 6 months earlier....
Enclosed is a photo of SPF 1249, the first SPF I finished.
Looks damn good in black!

--Mike
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2003, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Why not have the car painted in Conn. Only $5500 and PERFECT!!! I mean PERFECT!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mike

Actually, I think I'll head for Mexico. I friend told me about an hombre in Tijuana that will paint my car for $250 Americano. He said "Eet will look muy perfecto, vato!"
You wanna go for a drive, Mike?

Wait, never mind. I forgot. My car was delivered ALREADY painted!

Mike

Last edited by SFfiredog; 01-24-2003 at 09:26 PM..
Old 01-24-2003, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #1459 w/460(sold)New(used),spf w/427s.o.(sold)
Not Ranked     
Default 2-3k r u sure

from what i've heard era's are going to be at least 65k unless u do alot of work yourself.????
Old 01-24-2003, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

This question can easily be taken as a SPF hostile question, but I will ask it anyways...

Is there a current SPF owner out there, who sold or traded their ERA so they can get a SPF?

To make it fair, is there an SPF owner who traded UP or DOWN to an ERA?

TURK
Former ERA #593 owner.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nah, Turk, not taken as "hostile fire."

I don't really know the answer to your question. But i belive 7 Superformance owners have two, and one has three.

I occasionally hear of some automotive big wig who owns an SPF, but lacking names, i can't be quoted on that "fact."

But for sure, i have very rarely read of any replica driver who detests his car. No matter, FFR, Midstates, Unique, Shell, Lonestar, and so forth, everbody seems proud and happy with what they bought, built, and drive.

Sort of like wives, just about every body is very happy with the one they have, but then, since my first one ran off with a lawyer while i was in the bush in the Mekong Delta in '70, i probably can't make that analogy!

Since i did not make any part of my car, i just bought it as a completed car, i have made up for that compelling need by embarking on a relentless mofification quest ever since. I have added a ton of custom stuff to my car, even some used NASCAR parts.

So my SPF is pretty personalized. Mike Stenhouse told me the other day, (Second Strike Leader), that when he was up at the Olthoff' s a week ago, he and Dennis Olthoff went over my modifications, and said to one another "Hal is pretty compulsive and meticulous", (actually, they used some unprintable synonym) and could not find the reason for one of my trunk "accessories", a long piece of wire coathanger hanging off some Velcro in the trunk bulkhead.

I told Mike it was for retreiving my key when i dropped it down along side the seat. I am prepared for anything.

My car is a red/white stripe one, too. None of that "me too" Blue for Hal.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 01-25-2003, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: used to have a spf
Not Ranked     

I agree with Hal. Fordracer stated that SPF's are all too much alike. I have seen the opposite. While blue is certainly a popular color, there are certainly many choices one can make in this regard (no kidding), just cause lots of other guys get 'em in blue doesn't mean you have to, LOL. Lots of different motors out there too. BB, sb, strokers, FE, SO, blowers, fuel inj, even a guy with a chevy motor and some with auto trany (ugh...), single roll bar, dual roll bar, full width roll bar. It goes on and on. Plenty of room for personalization. Heck you could even hang fuzzy dice from your mirror and put those colored lights underneath (just kidding). So I'll agree that the ERA is a nice car and a fine choice, but not because it's more adaptable than an SPF.

John
SPF1421 not blue, not stroked
Old 01-25-2003, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Re: 2-3k r u sure

Quote:
Originally posted by sparks

from what i've heard era's are going to be at least 65k unless u do alot of work yourself.????
If this is fact, go get a Kirkham roller and add a 427SO/Toploader and be in it for an additional 10K(over the 65K).