28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2003, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question ERA vs SPF

I've searched the archives, and cannot seem to find the answer. After researching available replica manufacturers, I've narrowed my choice down to ERA or Superformance (427 replica).

Without starting flame wars, I'd like to know your opinions. It seems to me the ERA ends up being more expensive. I've also heard the ERA has a better fit and finish, although when I heard that opinion, the person could not give any specific details. The SPF info says the car has a "show quality finish". The ERA says "near show quality finish". I also know the wait for the ERA is quite a bit longer if you want a new one from the factory.

Resale for cars with FE engines seems to be pretty close from the ads I've seen, again, with ERA maybe being a bit more expensive.

Any comments about handling, build quality, parts availability, etc. would be appreciated.

If there is an old thread that goes into detail on this subject, please let me know what to search on!

If there's anyone in the Portland, OR area that have either of these cars that wouldn't mind showing them off, please send me an email note or post contact info.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ray
Old 01-23-2003, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

THIS is a tough one. Different cars and both really nice. I'd give the nod to the ERA just for the body's sake. But I really don't think you make a wrong choice here.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What makes them "different" and what makes them "really nice"?
Old 01-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Oh--now you're asking technical questions?

The SPF comes as a turnkey minus--meaning drop in the motor, trans and a few other parts--and she's done. Prepainted as well. Some find it a bit long in the nose.

ERA can come that way or as a kit, which you build as you wish. The ERA's body and fitment is damn close to an originals, though the suspension borrows from other sources--jag rearends, etc.

Hopefully-owners of each will weigh in here and tell you their likes and dislikes. Having not owned either, I am speaking from observations from being around both makes.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default GOOD NEWS !!!

Ray,

A man in Portland is selling his stunning ERA "street" Cobra. I believe his name is Tim. The car has a 427 side-oiler engine. The car is listed here under Cobras for Sale. He has pictures posted there too. Absolutely gorgeous. Here's the link:

http://www.clubcobra.com/t20281/s.html

The best deals are in the used market. Not only will you save money, but you'll avoid the new car wait. Instant gratification, baby !!

Y'all take it easy now, Brett
Old 01-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     

Ray,
I've never driven an SPF but they seem like fine cars. I own an ERA, built in the late 70s or early 80's so it is some 20 years old. The car is in great shape and I still run it on the track. What else can I say?

Cheers, Pete C
Old 01-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BamaBrett,,,,that IS a killer good looking Cobra! But I GOT to have a roll bar man.

Ernie
Old 01-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re: very different cars underneath.

Hi Ray,

Cc: Gents... I'm going to take stab at this, and I'll try to keep it short as I can and hopefully won't get beat up too bad. These are very different cars. I've driven both more than a few times. Both are great cars, but completely different under the skin, so I thought I would respond.

(The Superformance replica) is a new car in every way. You can purchase a Superformance almost immediately at any dealer, and order one in a short turn-around time. If NOW is important, its good to know this. The SPF has all new parts, and looks nothing like an original Cobra underneath its fiberglass. The body is a bit updated as well, espeically around the flares on the front and rear. The wheel flares enclose around the tire more than an original body style or ERA. The SPF is like a modern version that has been engineered to a specific set of cost, production, and manufacturing and performance requirements; leaning more towards a high quality, higher volume production turnkey-minus configuration. Its not made in America, its made in Africa which helps to contain costs a bit. The SPF car is a nice driving car, its solid, and it’s a great value for those who don’t want to build their own Cobra, and for those who like owning a quality replica Cobra in this price range. I’m saying it looks like a Cobra, but is very different underneath in almost every way: chassis, suspension, steering, brakes, lines/brackets, fans, radiator, etc... are all very different from an original type configuration. Most people who own SPF cars run 351s or 460 engines with 5-speed Tremec transmissions; and this is widely accepted with the SPF cars. It seems about 5% of the SPF cars run FEs. Most people seem to prefer the SVO 351/460 new engine platform in this new car. This is a common configuration, and these parts are new and highly available for these units in an on-demand basis. There is a strong following for the SPF cars from what I’ve seen. A great value and a good solid turnkey-minus package in this price range and more modern configuration. Nice car in every way.

(The ERA 427 SC replica) is as close to an original as it gets today in a fiberglass car in this price range, with ERA making the necessary upgrades to make the car an authentic looking performance replica. In general, it takes time to obtain an ERA because the wait queue is up to a year or so if you are looking for a new kit or roller package. Turnkey-minus takes 3 months longer than the kit package. It looks very close to an original since day one in 1980 - designed right from the get-go. ERA is more of a limited production hand-made car in comparison, and ERA has engineered suttle enhancements into the car over the years where it makes sense, but not straying too far from what an original looks like inside/out. The body is dead on to the an original with SC flares. You can order an ERA with SC flares or street flares. Most of the cars out there have SC flares. The street flare has the little lip on the back fender that ERA can build into it; especially if you want to run a street version 427 car. The ERA 427 SC runs a rectangle tube boxed chassis instead of a round tube configuration on most of the frame, except where it shows up front on the visible X-brace. It s a very solid car and the chassis/suspension works! Excellent weight transfer side to side and front to back. Most ERA 427 SC owners choose to run FE engines with Toploader 4-speeds and some run 5/6 speeds too. It comes with an original type Jag/Salisbury differential with inboard brakes or other brake options if desired. Most ERA owners run 15” period correct wheels/tires to go along with the FE / Toploader configurations; however some are trying 17s as a spare set. The ERA is a more authentic configured car underneath, and it can be equipped to look, feel, sound and give the thrill of an original; but its definitely more solid with its bonded and riveted body. An ERA can be purchased in various stages including turnkey-minus. If you like car building, it’s a great project for those who enjoy building quality cars. The ERA is great car and worth every penny. If you are looking for an authentic looking configuration, with all the period correct engine/trans/wheels/accessory components to go along with it, the ERA 427SC is a great choice. Most importantly, it’s a great driving car and experience.

Inserted after my original post:
(Unique Motorcars Ltd.) Also, don't forget to look at the Unique 427SC too. I owned one of these and reluctantly had to sell it. I can honestly say this is a great deluxe pallete kit value and experience! If you equip a Unique with equivalent FE engine/Toploader, suspension, wheels/tires, as an ERA and do some nice paint/body work, it "can" look dead on to an original as well; this requires a bit of extra money and effort though putting it up in the higher $$$ range again when completed correctly. IF you install the right upgrades, guages, and accessories paying attention to the extra details, its a great contender. Unique offers a nice package in the deluxe pallet kit offering.

Recommendation:
Drive them both, or at least ride in both for more than 5 minutes each. Fly to somewhere if needed. Seriously consider what is important to you and what excites you. Both are great cars depending on what you are looking for (authenticity, value, price, etc.) Take your time, research, and talk with various owners out there. The extra research is worth it just to figure out what you really want and will be happy with after making the purchase.

Proactive Disclamer:
These are the opinions of one guy who has driven both of these cars more than a few times. I’m merely trying to give some constructive feedback for comparison. Various members on this board might agree or disagree with my comments, so take it for what its worth. Note to ClubCobra Gents… please don’t beat up on me too badly for responding - OK!

Last edited by decooney; 01-24-2003 at 06:33 PM..
Old 01-24-2003, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Nice job.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will second the nice job and add my .02 anyway. Hey, electrons are cheap.

When doing my research I narrowed it down to the same two makes. ERA primarily because I was seriously considering doing a 289 FIA. A reality check indicated that I was not going to finish a car in anything resembling a reasonable time frame. I wanted to own a car to drive NOW, not in a year or two.

Do you want to build it or drive it NOW?

Really take the time to talk with owners of both in person and crawl around the cars making a point to look at specific things. It is too easy to get caught up in ooooing and aaaaahing over the engine and paint.

What have your local mechanics and shops worked on if that is a factor.

If you want to drive it NOW and are considering an ERA, then you must balance the ERA builder's ability against a factory of professionals and the local SPF dealer and the support they will provide. I have heard the ERA factory provides good support as well.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

I have never driven an ERA, but the several i have seen are very handsome cars. So i can only talk about my SPF. I have seen any number of replicas lined up, and they all look just a tiny bit different, the FFR's a bit more so.

The parts you see in an SPF are very authentic, the dash, seats, etc. The IRS 8.8 rear with fully adjustable coil over suspension is superb, come with Bilstein's, my car has been upgraded to custom valved race Bilsteins and springs, by the way. Stock they come with Wilwood four piston calipers, stuff like that.

In my now over 48,000 miles in the past three years, my car has proven to be very reliable, and basically bulletproof. I don't hesitate to drive far far away, race on a track, and drive it home.

Never ever overheats, even in 100 degree traffic, has been down the quarter mile over 60 times, and on race courses for over 600 laps.

It is now up at my builder's, the Olthoff's, getting a race, full width roll bar, and sundry other "tweaks".

SPF dealer service is superb, they are trustworthy, and value their customers. There is a SPF owner's association, and private web association, the former with the Olthoff's setting up several race track driving schools each year, the latter giving about 50+ Email messages every day. If you want custom modifications to your car, even to full race prep, hardtops, and AC, your dealer can do that for you.

You are about to spend a significant amount of money, so you owe it yourself to sit in and drive one of each, so you can make the right decision for you.

These are fabulous cars to own and drive. I love the simple, robust practicality of my SPF.

There is something that Bob Oltoff, who raced and won in Cobras (and many other cars) has told me. That oil quickly got on the inboard brakes of the real ones, and he never had any useful rear brakes for that reason. You might consider the ERA outboard brakes as an option.

If you don't mind, i will try to send you a picture of my SPF.

Best wishes, and join the Club!!!
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 01-24-2003, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     
Question

What's the best way to drive one of each? (as hard as you can?) Just curious....do most people hop a flight to the factory or try to find a willing owner?
Old 01-24-2003, 04:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

the SPF dealers have 'demos' to drive....can't help ya with ERA. otherwise go to some large car event where replica owners are attending and ask for a drive / or ride. also, seek out a local cobra club should there be one in your area for assistance . there are many brands to choose from, new or used, and the better informed you are as a buyer the better you will be as an owner. shop wisely...talk to owners of each brand you are considering and you will quickly learn what is best for you.

i am very pleased with my SPF , the dealer support in tech advice , parts, general info is outstanding...they are like family....makes the ownership experience very pleasant. my spf was built in 1996 and i have no reason to change....but when i do it will be another spf due to the superb quality of the car and the outstanding dealer relationship .

good luck. bill.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:50 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Question Huh?

Hal,

Bob O. must be having a "senior" moment (like I have all day!) as the original Cobras did NOT have inboard rear brakes. Out there behind the wheels the way God intended brakes to be.

BTW, the body finish on the SPF cars IS outstanding. Very much what many woud call a "show level" finish. Excellent fiberglass work and paint finish. This is the benefit of low labor costs in SA, they can put a lot of hand work and finish into the product that would run $40.00 per hour here. Plus being able to roll a mold out into the sun to have the 'glass cure solves many of the shrink/warp problems that are more costly to prevent if, say, you were molding glass here in Buffalo today where it is a balmy 5 degrees.

RIck

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-24-2003, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: used to have a spf
Not Ranked     

Ray,

I think both are nice cars. You would probably be happy with either. For me the SPF seemed like a better deal all the way around. The car comes complete. That's it, drop in the drivetrain of your choice and off you go. Extremely high quality in every aspect. As others have mentioned, VERY nice finish. Everything looks authentic from the outside, the attention to detail is amazing in this regard. From a performance standpoint it's a great choice too. You get Willwood brakes with big vented rotors, Billstein shocks, IRS, all standard. I think if you were to put all those things into an ERA you probably would end up spending more money. The other issue I was concerned about was the Quality and consistency of the assembly. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't think that can happen with an ERA it's just that with the SPF it was a no brainer. Everything done in the same factory the same way every time with consistent quality control in place. Also great factory and dealer support as well as a great owners group. The proof is in the pudding though. Go look at them and drive them. There are several SPF dealers around and most of them take their cars out to events, if a dealer isn't convenient for you.

John
SPF1421
Old 01-24-2003, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: used to have a spf
Not Ranked     

JAMO suggests the ERA has a nicer/more original looking body (SPF 'long in the nose' ?) and maybe better fit/finish if I am interpreting him correctly. Does anybody else agree? I haven't done a side by side comparison or looked at measurements. Seems hard to believe.

John
SPF1421
Old 01-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Thought I would add my .02 worth of opinion and try to put my spin on a couple of things I have read.

A couple of folks have mentioned quality of having "professionals" making high volume cars. Let me say that I do not doubt the Superformance professionalism at all. I do question why some think that ERA is not as professional since they more or less hand build?

Having watched the group up in Ct. go to work on their cars, I can say that they treat each car they are making as special and work extremely dilligently on each aspect of the car to get it "right". "Right" being the way the customer wants it. They do not have a dealer system, but they are completely comfortable at passing along the names of people who can work on FE engines, transmissions, etc... across the country. These cars are not high tech machines. An excellent mechanic should be able to handle all tasks if needed.

The flip side to this is that Superformance pushes these cars out of a factory and ships them to their dealers. The dealers will give you the personalized service, but the car at that point is built (which is a plus if you want one quickly).

Questions to ask yourself if you are buying a new Cobra: (not used)
1) When do I want my car? Sooner = SPF
2) What will I use the car for? Just for driving kicks for a while. I want the car until I am unable to drive, retain value.
3) Correct looking car Cobra?

Both are great cars. You can not go wrong. The owners of each of these cars that I have personally met are all great people. Can not go wrong there either. There are more SPF owners. There are very dedicated ERA owners.

Jhein:

I will agree with Jamo on his thoughts. For two reasons.

1) ERA has an original sitting in their facility. Very often they have it sitting out side by side to one they are building. It is extremely difficult to tell the difference between them.
The first couple times I was up there and saw the original I thought it was one they had been building and had not delivered. I finally asked when the customer was going to pick it up. I was laughed at accordingly. I could not tell the original from the replica. Let me say that I was not crawling under the car to check out the different bolt, nut, screw and rivet positioning to determine if EITHER was original.

2) My wife -- Yes my wife is the second reason. At any car show that I have dragged her through, I never mention to her what brand of Cobra it is that I am drooling over. She has always been able to tell the difference between an ERA and SPF. As she states the butt on the SPF seems higher. She also knows the FFR's at sight as well. While at Lime Rock during the vintage races there were originals, ERA's and SPF's parked all in close proximity. When we got to an original her first comment was "gee that is an old ERA. You need to make sure you buy a new one."

My last thought on the looks department is that each manufacturer uses a different method to make it mold. Those that have used originals do not all use the same original. The originals did not all look "exactly" like each other in the first place. Fender flares typically being the one area that varied the most. Therefore the looks of each replica will be different.

Ray R

Enjoy the car you choose. You can not go wrong. You will be spending a lot of money either way so get the car that you will value to your own standards. Once you get the car please take me for a ride in it since mine is still going to be being built in my mind for a while longer
Old 01-24-2003, 08:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

This subject has been covered before.
I'll try and insert the link.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...comparison+era

BTW...I agree with Jamo 100%

Last edited by ST; 01-24-2003 at 08:57 AM..
Old 01-24-2003, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Jamo's tellin' it like it is. Even the original Cobras had subtle variations in shape and "look" due to the nature of the construction process. ERA somehow captured the best of the best and build what is (arguably) the best looking Cobra on the planet. Hands down. Search through the gallery for owners pics and look at the ERA cars and browse through the cars for sale pics on CobraCountry. Everything else positive said about both cars is true. I, know you didn't ask, but I must add that Unique Motorcars also builds a beautiful, high quality replica for a reasonable price that is second only to ERA in the 'glass car looks department (my humble opinions only).

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-24-2003, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you all for your kind and objective replies. I'm really impressed by how members of this board can objectively look at other brands without getting into flaming.

I've seen the add for Tim's street ERA for sale in Portland. I have briefly spoken with Tim, and will be considering his car, although I really want whatever car I end up with to be blue. See my response in the "what other classic cars do you own" thread, and you'll understand why.

I guess what is most important to me is build quality. I want something that will hold up for a long time with a 500hp drive train. It sounds to me, based on responses so far, that either car will satisfy this requirement. And build quality, to me, means no rattles, shakes, worn out latches, corrosion, having to replace parts, loose trim, broken switches, etc, etc......even after many miles. It also means body seams are aligned properly, leather is top grade, no exposed unfinished fiberglass areas, when you close the door, it has a solid feel to it....etc.

I remember my first look at a Yugo. It was at a dealership..brand new car.....got in...pulled the hood release....cable broke....got in another one....wouldn't start......I wonder why they're not in business in the US anymore???

Again, thanks for the responses. I appreciate your honest and objective opinions!