Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     
Unhappy 65K??

I ordered a roller from ERA with almost every option except ERA's rear suspension with outboard brakes and optional larger front brakes. I have ordered a 428 w/ single quad from Southern Automotive, TKO II trans, and trigo 5- pin wheels and I think the grand total, including paint, will be $10-12k less than that. When I get it, all I will have to do will finish the wiring, interior and install the motor and trans- not too much work.

I agree though, you could probably get to $65k if you went with a 427 SO with dual quads, upgraded rear suspension and went nuts with the paint, but I don't think you have spend that much to get a real nice ERA.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 01-25-2003, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

SFfiredog,
Actually it was Connecticut Custom Car in Conn. Walt did an excellent job, for $5500

Hal Copple
BTW I chose Guardsman Blue because it was my favorite color, I did not give a rat who else had that color. 100% of the people who see my car are very impressed with the color and the paint job.

Sparks,
Cost:
My ERA, a complete roller from ERA (13 month wait) all options
(including Richmond 5 speed, Trigo 6 pin, SMITHS) $43k
Paint $5500
Custom Shelby Aluminum 427 Built by Gessford Machine approx $20k
This does NOT include shipping ($1800) or sales tax & title ($2200)

$72500.

Last edited by ERA 626; 01-25-2003 at 09:26 AM..
Old 01-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I want a Red one with White stripes! I loved that Excal! Silver with Black stripe seems to be pretty popular these days with SPF.

There is ONE reason I would buy new over used. It seems to be the only way I can find ALL the options I want. Buying used always seems to leave soemthing out on my "list". Then again, if I do get ALL the options I want it will COST a lot more! Tough call.

Ernie
Old 01-25-2003, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Like Mike said,
An ERA with all the bells and whistles...and I mean all of them will cost you about $40,000 as a roller.
Mine did!

Add to that
Tires and Wheels
Engine
Transmission
Drive Shaft
Transportation
License and registration
Paint (anywhere from $4000-$10,000)

You could easily have $75,000 in that car depending on the engine authenticity and paint quality.

This says a lot more about us and how we love Cobras that we would or could spend 10 times more than the original cost of a car just to have a replica of it.

I suppose that is why some get a little uppity when we show a little disrespect to their rides.

I am sitting here thinking all the other things I could be doing with that much cash. Many of the finer automobiles are within striking distance when you spend that kind of dough.
A cabin, a nice boat, an airplane, a mistress....or a pair of stereo speakers made by Wilson for over $80,000??

I suppose if someone can spend 80 grand on a pair of stereo speakers, we ain't all that weird after all..

TURK
Old 01-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Maybe not just speakers...but have you added up the price of all of your stereo equipment lately?
Old 01-25-2003, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just want to add one more thing, as for ERA's that are completed by the owners not being up to the same standards as a production made Cobra, I think just the opposite, when it came time to picking out the parts and materials for my ERA I wanted nothing less than the best. All of the ERA's that I have seen have are detailed master peices. Most take them to the extreme. I haven't seen a small block in one, at least not on this coast and most have period correct options. I also enjoy the level of compition you get with other ERA owners. You could say it brings out the best in us. Turk do you have the number for that mistress? Sounds like she would be cheaper than the car.

Last edited by Ron Randall; 01-27-2003 at 11:46 AM..
Old 01-25-2003, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Turk:

About that $75K for maximum engine authenticity and show quality paint, I can vouch for that as evidenced by the bills for ERA 409. It was worth it considering owners of originals have walked around and around the car trying to decide whether or not it was originally built in the '60s.

I can vouch for the quality ERA puts into a car. They give you what is expected of a car costing that much and then some.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue

Last edited by speed220mph; 01-25-2003 at 01:20 PM..
Old 01-25-2003, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up I agree

Ron Randall has it right above.

The ERAs I have seen are detailed out, and the owners customized them more (IMO). I have never seen a bad ERA.

While the SPFs are consistant, thats what I wanted. I wanted to know what I was getting. They are finished nice too.

Eric
Old 01-25-2003, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Jamo,
YES...just the speakers!! Better yet, they are not the best ones (most expensive ones) out there either! Insanity continues.....
I think a REAL good pair is going around $110,000!!!

TURK
We are sane and tame by comparison.
Next time your wife brings up the subject of how much you have invested in this silly car, ask her if she would be happier if you just went and got some audio equipment instead..
Old 01-26-2003, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Turk

a pair of stereo speakers made by Wilson for over $80,000??

I suppose if someone can spend 80 grand on a pair of stereo speakers, we ain't all that weird after all..

TURK
Wow! I thought Wilson only made sporting goods.
I don't doubt that there are $80k speakers on the market, but who has $80k ears?
What is the difference between an $80k speaker and $1k set of Bose?
I'll go back in my trailer now.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

At these $ levels it seems you are really close to Kirkham territory...

Ben
Old 01-26-2003, 01:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re:

btsai,
I believe some of the variance you are seeing in what people sell cars for and what it costs (for example) to build a nice ERA 427 SC ERA, depends on two important things:

1) How much work you do yourself or choose to sub out at today's shop rates!

2) How much you spend on the drivetrain, upgrades, paint

- Everything else seems to be fairly constant.

If you spend a lot of money to bring a Cobra replia to the maxiumum it can be, you can easily put yourself into the next price bracket of cars to consider. Seems true for any car though.

Turk/Jamo, speaking of expensive speakers... there is a next level here too. If you like Wilson's, the next level up Wilson WAMM 7As run about $250,000 list price for a nice pair for your home. On sale you can pick them up for about a measly $150-175K. For those who must have an Orchestra sound in your house.

Last edited by decooney; 01-26-2003 at 01:16 PM..
Old 01-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I owned an ERA. Bought it turn key from ERA. ERA is a class act. The car they delivered was outstanding! The fit, finish and paint was top notch! The car was truly a standout in Fly Ferrari Yellow.

When I went to sell the ERA over a 1 1/2 years after buying it I was told by ERA that the cost of reproducing it would be in the range of $65K to $70K. The car cost approximately $55K. I nearly got back what I paid at time of resale.

Superformance is a truly nice car and great product. I have alot of respect for the car's quality especially their glass and paint work which always seems perfect.

Before I bought the ERA was was a whisker away from buying a SPF. A friend, who had an ERA GT40 (now owned by BLACK JACK) advised me to wait and go to the show of Shelby's at Lime Rock over Labor Day weekend. I got to see alot of Cobra replicas side by side. I met Peter Portante, with whom I am still friendly with today.

I had done my reading on Cobras and knew what I was looking for and at.

At the show of Shelby's I saw a gorgeous maroon ERA sitting next to a new SPF. The SPF was very nice but (and I mean no insult here) the ERA was clearly a notch above. While both had beautiful glass work and paint there was a clear difference in the fine details and aesthetic accuracy between the two cars. The ERA was a dead ringer for an original and its finer details were superior.

While the SPF is nice the ERA is still the "Cadillac" of the replicas.

I believe a nicely fitted SPF with BB will run you in the $50K's. The ERA while slightly more IMHO is worth it. Again, IMHO.

Last edited by REAL 1; 01-27-2003 at 03:12 PM..
Old 01-27-2003, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got to sit in an ERA today. It was an early build, chassis number 126 I believe. Had the 427 SO and toploader 4spd. Really nice red car (for sale by the way), but at 6'4" tall, I didn't fit very well. If I tried to touch the accelator with my right foot, my knee hit the dash. And this one had the roll bar behind the wall in back of the seats. If the roll bar was in front, like I believe it is on the newer models, wouldn't that leave less room for the seat to move back? This could be a problem. Anyway, if you might be interested in the car, email Dave at servicetire@ipinc.net. I think he's asking around $65k, but he sounded really negotiable.

Tomorrow I am off to Reno to check out the Superformance. I'll report later......

And again....thanks to you all for your continued input and support!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Keep looking, Ray. Hope you find what fitsya!! There will be lots of Cobras at Knott's Berry Farm this April. Also, House of Cobras always has a few to try on, so to speak. Good LucK!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Ray

You've received a good education from this little seminar--and one of the best, on-topic threads in quite awhile.

You have homework--go buy a Cobra!
Old 01-28-2003, 04:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray,

When we made the roll bar visible, we did it by moving the bulkhead back, not by moving the roll bar forward. It actually allows the seat to go back further. (The footboxes were also lengthered, at around chassis 150. (Or was it 125... )

The pedals are also adjustable fore and aft, although the clutch may require a different master cylinder.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 01-28-2003, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/428 & Richmond 5-speed Car 611.
Not Ranked     
Default ERA

I'm 6'3" and 227#'s with ERA 611.
I have the seat adjusted a little forward from all the way back.
With the seat all the way back I feel too far from the wheel.
I guess everyone is different in the way they set-up the seating arrangement within the car. The ERA kit was such a pure joy to assemble.

We did everything except bond the body to the chassis, and it was the FIRST time my brother and I ever under-took such a task. Real amatures.

The most demanding task was sanding, filling, sanding and re-filling the bond prior to painting. The paint application process to 18 hours, and wet-sanding around 100 manhours.

I am proud of the finished product and would bring it to any car show.

It's all what you put into it.
Either a lot of your time and effort, or a lot of your money for someone elses time and effort.

The old saying - "you get what you pay for" is ture here.
This kit assembles with very little effort and the outcome is fantastic.

Bob, after all this raving, you can have Pete send the extra set of wheels to my house now. Just kidding.

If you ever get a chance to stop in at ERA in New Britain, look at the Mark II GT40 they are crafting right now. It is incredible workmanship! The fabrication would challenge any AIRCRAFT manufacturers workmanship!! The stainless steel monocoque chassis, the big-block headers, the linkages are works of art.

Todd
Old 01-28-2003, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob it had to be before 148, I have the extened foot boxes in mine.
Ron
Old 01-28-2003, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It just depends on what you want.

If you are building an "authintic replica" go with the ERA. You will find many ERA with Side Oilers and the best of everything. ERA make a great replica of the original. Do a search here at CC and you will not find ONE bad word about the folks at ERA.

If want to build a great car with one of the MANY other engines available, I would go with the SPF. They are great cars, but notice that you find few with "authintic motors". Most have strokers or big block crate motors. SPF builds a great car, but it is not designed to be a replica of the original - it is designed to be a SPF.

Good Luck!